Is Marqise Lee the 2nd WR picked?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I bet Mike Evans is the 2nd WR picked. I don't think Lee would make it down to us with all of the WR needy teams just ahead of us like Carolina.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1d9wr90o said:
I bet Mike Evans is the 2nd WR picked. I don't think Lee would make it down to us with all of the WR needy teams just ahead of us like Carolina.

Likely 3 WR's taken before us leaving Benjamin ...... I don't think 4 WRs go before our pick.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I'm not as familiar with other teams' needs, but I know multiple teams ahead of us probably could use a WR. The Jets have the worst WR corp in the league IMO. Detroit could use someone opposite Megatron. Baltimore clearly needs someone. Carolina needs somone. Maybe the Pats and maybe SF. I don't know if they will all feel a WR is a good 1st pick, but there are plenty of needs out there.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
There is a good chance that the Jets, Baltimore, and Pats could go for a Tight end as well. There are two Tight ends predicted to go pretty high in the first round.

drrew

Reaction score
Kiper I think has eight wide receivers going before our pick at 32.

Watkins 5
Evans 13 ---- that would be a great pick for them
Lee 18
Beckham Jr 22
Benjamin 23
Adams 26
Cooks 28
Landry 30
Robinson 32

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The only way Lee falls to 32 is if he is hit by a bus outside of Lucas Oil Field before the combine

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I'm not convinced Lee will be the 2nd WR selected, but I am convinced that there's no chance of him making it to #32. Also, this draft is loaded at the top with WR's, and there are a large number of WR-needy teams, so it's been suggested in multiple circles recently that as many as 7 WR's could be taken in the 1st round, and as many as 10 could have a 1st round grade by at least one team. IMO, it's an absolute slam dunk that at least 4 WR's are off the board before Seattle picks. FWIW, in their latest mocks, McShay has 7 WR's being taken before the Hawks pick, and Kiper has 8 (with the Hawks taking PSU's Allen Robinson, for a total of 9 in round 1).

mbtitleist

Reaction score
His injury situation certainly didn't help his draft stock but having watched every game Marqise has played for 3 years I can safely say that he is an absolute playmaker and there's no chance of him being around when we pick at 32. The scary thing is that there is still a lot of room for him to improve. He has the physical tools, if he continues to develop once he gets in the league and become a bit more consistent he will be a phenomenal player.

jhern87

Reaction score
Natethegreat":29aymgsl said:
There is a good chance that the Jets, Baltimore, and Pats could go for a Tight end as well. There are two Tight ends predicted to go pretty high in the first round.

Hmm... I will be VERY surprised if this many WR's go in the first round.

I have a feeling that Pete will take WR's later in the draft.. I'm kind of hoping so unless someone falls to us. I just want us to go BPA.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
jhern87":2ohmvbys said:
Natethegreat":2ohmvbys said:

Hmm... I will be VERY surprised if this many WR's go in the first round.

I have a feeling that Pete will take WR's later in the draft.. I'm kind of hoping so unless someone falls to us. I just want us to go BPA.

You shouldn't be. WR is absolutely loaded this year and there are a lot of teams that need one, including us.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
sc85sis":y0mt97yf said:
I just hope he isn't drafted by another NFCW team.

Charles Davis (NFL.com) has the Rams taking Jake Matthews (OT Texas) with the #2 overall, the Raiders taking Sammy Watkins (WR Clemson) at #6 (first WR drafted) and the Rams taking Lee at #13 (second WR drafted).

Stupid Redskins.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
All I know is if we take the 8th receiver in the first round I will throw a tantrum. Oh I also know lee will not be on the board, I do know that!

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":1nn8fmqe said:
All I know is if we take the 8th receiver in the first round I will throw a tantrum. Oh I also know lee will not be on the board, I do know that!

What if the 8th receiver turns out to be the next Brandon Marshall?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":1l8ecqm6 said:

I don't know why? There are 5 WR's with 1st round grades (Watkins, Evans, Lee, Robinson, Benjamin) and 4 guys with fringe 1st round/early 2nd round grades (Beckham, Cooks, Matthews, Adams) Wide receiver is very very deep this year, and lots of these guys have size and speed which this offense absolutely needs.

Not to mention, with the 32nd pick.. you're more apt to "reaching" a bit to take a guy that you can have under contract for 5 years instead of 4. So even if say... a Jordan Matthews may grade out as a 45th-50th overall pick.. you will see a team nab him in the 1st round anyway to have that extra year of a cheap salary.

So yes.. WR is definitely in play. And it should be.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":1apd77m8 said:

You simply can't get so caught up in the "Nth best guy in the first round" talk.

It's really critical to understand that there often isn't a lot separating guys from the 15th through the 40th overall pick range. Every draft is entirely different. And as it pertains to WRs, there are major differences in WR types. The skills needed for an X receiver are widely different than that needed for a Z or a slot receiver.

Also, understand too, that a college player is going to get about as much instruction in his first offseason as he did in his college career. Players develop at widely varied rates due to a number of factors. What you see in May is not close to what you'll see in August. If that 8th best guy takes to your development program better, he'll be better.

No finer example to that reality, than Luke Willson v. Vance McDonald. Willson may have been close to the 30th best prospect on the outside. Yet one NFL season and he's caught nearly as many passes as the last 2 drafts of WR/RBs/TE combined that San Fransisco has brought in. He developed much faster and in all phases of his game.

Quality of coaching, no amatuer/NCAA limits on practice and development work, higher quality of QB play -- these things all contribute to massive changes between draft day and opening day. That 8th best guy may have a somewhat longer road to hoe. But that difference can be made up before training camp even starts in July.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
sc85sis":2wvnetco said:
Jake to the Rams would suck too.

I saw a draft that had Blake Bortles to the Rams. I would be soooooo happy if that happened. I think he's going to be worse than Bradford.