Keith Price NOT invited to NFL Combine

kearly

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ter_nfl_cb

For context, the NFL combine typically invites about 15-20 QBs most years, far more than the number who get drafted. Price will still get a pro-day, but it now looks very likely he will go undrafted despite a very good senior season.

Price is a local player so he would not count against Seattle's pre-draft visit count. It is very likely that Price will be given a Seahawks invite before the draft, especially since he has been mentored by Russell Wilson the past two years. So try not to make too much of that when it happens. Frankly, it would be shocking if Seattle didn't invite him.

Seattle will probably be looking for QB competition in this draft, even if they retain Tjack. If Price is a UDFA, Seattle is the perfect fit. I know that Price is sorely lacking in both physical and mental toughness. But he's exactly the kind of point guard at QB Seattle always looks for in the draft process. Very rare to see a QB of his caliber potentially go undrafted. There is also the Sark connection and the fact that his 2011 and 2012 offenses were extremely similar to Seattle's. Anyway, food for thought.

davidonmi

Reaction score
He does not lack physical and mental toughness. The guy played through injury after injury. What he does lack and why he isn't an nfl qb is he lacks durability. Agree with everything else, wouldn't be shocked if the seahawks took or signed him

Crabhawk

Reaction score
I think Price is tough as hell, but he frame lacked the bulk to take the hits he had to take. I don't see him being able add the protective bulk he needs to add. I really like him and what he did for UW, but I don't see him making it in the NFL. If he does get a shot somewhere, I hope he kicks ass.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
davidonmi":1z3hav3v said:
He does not lack physical and mental toughness. The guy played through injury after injury. What he does lack and why he isn't an nfl qb is he lacks durability. Agree with everything else, wouldn't be shocked if the seahawks took or signed him

Watch him in the ASU game. The lack of mental toughness is undeniable. He plays scared when things get tough. I kinda don't blame him though, if I got injured as easily as he does I'd play scared too.

Price does play through injuries I'll give him that. But he gets injured so much and misses games so often... there is no way I could consider him a tough QB.

Even with his toughness issues, I'd still probably give Price a 4th round grade. His feel for the game is almost as good as Johnny Manziel or Jameis Winston, it's on an elite level. He's also very smart, and has a better arm than I think he gets credit for. When fully healthy, his mobility is nothing to scoff at. I think as a backup where he'd play fewer games and be exposed to injuries less, he could shine. I think he would pick up an NFL offense very quickly, especially Seattle's. Really it's just the toughness issues both mental and physical that have him plummeting, and his lack of size plays right into his lack of durability. He's actually a little taller than Johnny Football with a similar build, but Manziel is tougher and stays healthy.

Anyway, I think Price probably isn't built to be a true NFL QB. He couldn't last 12 games in college, how will he last 16 games in the pros? But as a backup who sees spot duty on occasion I think he could be a very nice asset, especially while he's making $400k a season.

davidonmi

Reaction score
kearly":2uedpir7 said:
davidonmi":2uedpir7 said:

Watch him in the ASU game. The lack of mental toughness is undeniable. He plays scared when things get tough. I kinda don't blame him though, if I got injured as easily as he does I'd play scared too.

Price does play through injuries I'll give him that. But he gets injured so much and misses games so often... there is no way I could consider him a tough QB.

Even with his toughness issues, I'd still probably give Price a 4th round grade. His feel for the game is almost as good as Johnny Manziel or Jameis Winston, it's on an elite level. He's also very smart, and has a better arm than I think he gets credit for. When fully healthy, his mobility is nothing to scoff at. I think as a backup where he'd play fewer games and be exposed to injuries less, he could shine. I think he would pick up an NFL offense very quickly, especially Seattle's. Really it's just the toughness issues both mental and physical that have him plummeting, and his lack of size plays right into his lack of durability. He's actually a little taller than Johnny Football with a similar build, but Manziel is tougher and stays healthy.

Anyway, I think Price probably isn't built to be a true NFL QB. He couldn't last 12 games in college, how will he last 16 games in the pros? But as a backup who sees spot duty on occasion I think he could be a very nice asset, especially while he's making $400k a season.
I agree, for me he could be a backup for 1 or 2 games at a time and doesn't have the body to play any more than that. I would give him a 5-7th round grade only because his ceiling is a backup

chris98251

Reaction score
Well with a bad line Price is doomed, he had a bad line most his time at UW. He has a good skill set and as a PS guy has a lot more going for him if he can regain his confidence, he had a cockyness about him and beleif in himself early that got beat out of him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
As a UW fan, I say no way. He is way to slow in his reads. He is a CFL player.

Throwdown

Reaction score
As someone who honestly thinks Price is a better pure QB than Locker could've ever thought of being.

Price just might not be built for the NFL, once things get tough you might as well count yourself out with him, I could see him being brought in as a UDFA for a team, maybe even the Hawks due to his working with Wilson last offseason, but I just don't see how he makes this team.

May have a future in coaching though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He probably wasn't invited because he's not that good of a quarterback.

But if they want to kick him a camp invite after he goes undrafted.. no big deal.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Who is better Price or Daniels? i've never watched Daniels but seen plenty of Price games and have had to turn the channel because of some dumb decisions by Price. If he's a UDFA and a 3rd stringer who can gain experience i'm ok with that but anything more is a waste.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Throwdown":cgjadxal said:
As someone who honestly thinks Price is a better pure QB than Locker could've ever thought of being.

Price just might not be built for the NFL, once things get tough you might as well count yourself out with him, I could see him being brought in as a UDFA for a team, maybe even the Hawks due to his working with Wilson last offseason, but I just don't see how he makes this team.

May have a future in coaching though.

Totally agree, TD. Unsure what exactly Sark thought he was doing with Price. I guess the same he wanted to do with Locker. Locker, IMO, was a college QB and not much more. Sark took jakes legs away from him, almost like he was more preparing Jake for the pros than he was concerned about UW winning games, utilizing Jakes strengths.

Enter Price (better than Jake). In his first year, we were dazzled by Price Or I was). He broke the big records at QB U. Many of those TDs (58?) came from off of his movement and he was a constant threat to use his legs, keeping the D honest. Yes, he took some shots that year and showed he needed to be more Wilson than Jake. In his junior year, with our O-line at it's worst (injury, etc), Sark decided to keep Price in the pocket and he took beatings doing so.

Those beatings apparently effected his brain, because he started fumbling and playing like a tard. Still Sark kept him in what I would describe as an unsafe environment aka a collapsing pocket. We watched this great young QB go from the penthouse to the outhouse and I put most of that on Sark. Before we knew it, Price was dealing with injuries and worse, he appeared to lose his mojo / confidence. He toughed it out and with words of advice from RW, had a good sr year.

I think Price WAS mentally tough and he may be getting that back. If we could bring him in undrafted I think we have to. FFS, he's better than half the starting QBs in the history of this franchise today. Working along side RW will only help...as will Harvin and some creative play calling. He don't have a great arm but he can beat you with what he has. Love the kid and if not with us, I hope he gets a shot somewhere.