Late round prospect: Larry Webster the next Julius Thomas?

cover-2

Reaction score
Bloomsburg DE Larry Webster prior to playing football at Bloomsburg he was their basketball team's starting center. In Webster's last year of playing basketball he averaged 7.2 rebounds per game which is better than Denver's Julius Thomas's 4.3 rebounds per game at Portland St. Webster is 6-6 250 lbs. and he has played DE the last two years. He has had double digit sacks in each year, so with his length he is a possible candidate to compete at LEO position. Webster is an athlete and I would love to see us get this player on our roster. Let the coaching staff find a home for him be it DE or TE. Right now he is considered a 7th round prospect.

Basketball

Here is a link to his last year playing basketball Bloomsburg website,
http://www.buhuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1706&path=mbball

Here is a link to his football player profile at Bloomsburg,
http://www.buhuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4195&path=football

Here is one of his game's scouting videos,
[youtube]mWJjf_7eTS4[/youtube]

And here is a piece on him from his local TV news station,
http://wnep.com/2012/11/15/psac-sack-leader-larry-webster/#ooid=ZqdjR5NjolVPTiL-m69SRisoY2skDsbI

82fbfab5764dfa04419b20e9e6ec7b40-img1.jpg

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I love the occasional dice roll on these types, but c'mon man... the next Julius Thomas? The odds are far greater, with guys like this, that they'll be the next Darren Fells. I watched half of the video that you included, and frankly, he looked awful.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that the fact that he averaged more rebounds per game in basketball than Julius Thomas is of zero relevancy to his football future.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":pfyx27ka said:
I love the occasional dice roll on these types, but c'mon man... the next Julius Thomas? The odds are far greater, with guys like this, that they'll be the next Darren Fells. I watched half of the video that you included, and frankly, he looked awful.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that the fact that he averaged more rebounds per game in basketball than Julius Thomas is of zero relevancy to his football future.

I'm not proclaiming him to be the next Julius Thomas. It is more food for thought. Late round prospect with a similar basketball background experience, as Thomas, that came to football late in his college career. I'll throw a question mark at the end of the subject to make it look as though I'm not making a definitive comparison.

The rebound stat is more to show that he may have good ball skills, like Thomas, not that he is going to be a better receiving TE than Thomas. When Webster was at the East/West Shrine game NFL scouts have asked him if he would be willing to switch to TE.

kearly

Reaction score
Good size, but seems kinda stiff and slow.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":15gh262d said:
Good size, but seems kinda stiff and slow.

I have the same thoughts on him as a DE. I don't see the initial quickness or ability to get low to get around OT's (he reminds be of former South Carolina DE Devin Taylor whom I wasn't high on). I think on a few plays he showed good long speed when chasing ball carriers, which is partly why I am intrigued with him at TE to go along with his basketball background. I like him as a TE prospect for size, knack for going up and getting rebounds (which should help him competing for jump balls/errant throws), and possibly good long speed.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Maybe as a TE experiment, but undrafted. 7th rounders are probably more valuable to us than any other team, or rather, we get more value from them. Though I guess we picked up Sweezy in the 7th.

Be interesting to see how quick he is.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wow those are skinny arms. He won't be blocking anyone on the line. Man needs to bulk up and the only way I'd take a chance on him is as an UDFA.

Edit: Thank you for posting though. These kinds of posts are what make this forum interesting because every once in a while they produce an unknown talent.