Cyrus Kouandjio... am I missing something?

kearly

Reaction score
I keep seeing him mocked to Seattle at #32. In terms of his physical gifts, he's far superior to DJ Fluker who went top 10 last year in a much better OL class. Why is he so ridiculously under-rated? Short arms?

Not saying the guy is a sure-fire stud, he has plenty of ugly plays. But pretty good athlete IMO and prototypical size. Just needs some coaching up and maybe a bit more of a mean streak.

For the record, I would be bummed if Seattle drafted an OT at #32. I would much rather just pay Breno on a smallish contract and then go after some weapons or maybe a stud interior OL if one happens to be there. I'm just perplexed by Kouandjio's lack of draft stock.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Brilliant player who had a couple of rough high profile games last year and got hammered as a consequence (vs Virginia Tech, Oklahoma).

Would be a terrific pick for any team needing a good tackle. Great upside.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Shouldn't we be concerned about the issues the O-Line had in many games this season? Bad O-Line play can make your QB look stupid back there (let alone get him hurt). I think O-Line should be a much higher priority than Big WR or TE. Without an O-Line, does it even matter who the QB will be throwing to?
I don't know much about the prospect, but we need to get the best available O-Lineman when we draft. We can fill the other positions later. I'm really tired of seeing Russell run for his life. I was tired of seeing Lynch gain ZERO yards on first down (or most yards on his own effort). Furthermore, if we are going to start playing to play guys like Christine Michael or Robert Turbin, we need better O-Line play. They are not as big, strong and powerful as Lynch.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Personally I think Kouandijo is a bit overrated, as I think most Alabama O-linemen have been in recent years, because I feel they get more individual credit than they deserve due to their collective success as a unit and as a program (best in college football over the past 5 years).

With Kouandijo the whole just doesn't equal the some of the parts. Physically he possesses all of the attributes that you look for in today's prototype...he certainly passes the eyeball test. But he's really struggled in pass protection at times, and was particularly exposed (nay, embarrassed) in the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma. I question his football IQ as he often appeared slow to react to line stunts and counter moves, and frankly I'm not sure he'll ever be good enough in pass pro to be a reliable blind-side protector in the NFL. And he has no experience on the right side, or any other position than LT for that matter. I'd be very leery of this player.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1ee5658z said:
Shouldn't we be concerned about the issues the O-Line had in many games this season? Bad O-Line play can make your QB look stupid back there (let alone get him hurt). I think O-Line should be a much higher priority than Big WR or TE. Without an O-Line, does it even matter who the QB will be throwing to?
I don't know much about the prospect, but we need to get the best available O-Lineman when we draft. We can fill the other positions later. I'm really tired of seeing Russell run for his life. I was tired of seeing Lynch gain ZERO yards on first down (or most yards on his own effort). Furthermore, if we are going to start playing to play guys like Christine Michael or Robert Turbin, we need better O-Line play. They are not as big, strong and powerful as Lynch.

Our starting offensive tackles have played well. The issues have been inside.

Our need for weapons is very real. Look at the Denver game. Wilson was barely touched because that defense had their hands full defending Percy Harvin. We need another big bodied weapon or two anyway and that need will be magnified further when Percy misses games again next season. Seattle would be foolish to bank on 19-20 games from Harvin next year. There are some A-list talents that fit this bill and happen to be available in the late first. By contrast it's looking like a ho-hum year for interior OL early on.

NorthDallas40oz":1ee5658z said:
With Kouandijo the whole just doesn't equal the some of the parts. Physically he possesses all of the attributes that you look for in today's prototype...he certainly passes the eyeball test. But he's really struggled in pass protection at times, and was particularly exposed (nay, embarrassed) in the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma. I question his football IQ as he often appeared slow to react to line stunts and counter moves, and frankly I'm not sure he'll ever be good enough in pass pro to be a reliable blind-side protector in the NFL. And he has no experience on the right side, or any other position than LT for that matter. I'd be very leery of this player.

I'm kinda gun shy about anyone out of Alabama these days. Saban is a bit like Carroll that he can get the most out of his players and they usually crumble when they leave his program. But usually when you see a tackle with Kouandjio's gifts, he's a lock to go high first round unless he's got major off the field issues. A portrait of a late-1st OT looks like Bryan Bulaga, a stiff athlete with good tape. Anyway, just thought it was kinda odd.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":1wc2u8wy said:
I'm kinda gun shy about anyone out of Alabama these days. Saban is a bit like Carroll that he can get the most out of his players and they usually crumble when they leave his program. But usually when you see a tackle with Kouandjio's gifts, he's a lock to go high first round unless he's got major off the field issues. A portrait of a late-1st OT looks like Bryan Bulaga, a stiff athlete with good tape. Anyway, just thought it was kinda odd.

I thought Fluker would be a big turd in the NFL. But he turned out to be pretty outstanding.

Ultimately, I would like to see us get a RT who is capable of swinging to the LT. Breno isn't that. Not bashing Okung here because when he plays, he's consistently very good. But even if I ascribe to the notion that he is unlucky with fluke injuries -- it just makes sense to have a viable plan B.

Let's face it. We got extremely lucky in many instances with Okung's absence. How different is last season, if the plan B LT ends up letting Robert Quinn kill Russell and cause him to miss significant games to injury. You cannot gamble with the franchise to the degree we did last year when Okung was out. And I'm not going out on a limb in saying I doubt Okung plays a full year or even finishes the year/is available for the playoffs.

I like Breno too. But we need someone that can man that LT gig when needed. That doesn't mean we have to take a guy in round 1.

But lets consider too, the fact that Okung is being paid a king's ransom already and will demand top dollar in a couple years when his rookie deal ends. Say you take Kouandijo as a RT/emergency LT. And he develops. To the point where we can plow under our LT salary with a new CBA rookie contract. He's already being paid well over 50% of the total starter salary on the OL. I'm not saying cut him. But when it comes time to make hard choices in 2015 -- if we had a cheap and quality alternative to let him walk it would make one choice not so hard.

Ultimately, we need a player of quality. Our LT availability is suspect. I wouldn't cry if we took Kouandijo as the value would certainly be there. In a win forever model, a player of that quality slips to you, you're almost obliged to take him.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
kearly":ojgorczr said:

Our need for weapons is very real.

I completely agree that our greater need is inside, OG and OC. I was supremely disappointed in Unger that latter half of this season. Hoping its an injury thing that can get fixed this off-season. And I was fairly happy with Breno, so bringing him back on a decent (to the team) contract I'd be good with. All that being said, and taking into consideration what Pete said about not really needing anything this year, it may be the right time to add future pieces to the team in the way of OT, OC and other parts that aren't 'needed' right now but will be needed in the next year or two. Sort of like what they have done at the RB, and DB positions the lest couple of years.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Would LOVE this pick although I'd rather get a guard like La'el Collin at 32/34

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2qtdosi1 said:
Would LOVE this pick although I'd rather get a guard like La'el Collin at 32/34

Collins is returning to school.

I have to believe we'd grab Kouandjio if he fell to 32. He'd fill one of our biggest needs and the value there would be insane. It might even provide some leverage over Okung who's deal is up soon. I really want a top OL to fall to us, because I feel like protecting Wilson should be one of our top priorities for the next decade or so.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think this particular tackle is going to go higher than people are currently saying. Getting a lot of comparisons to some pretty good players like Tyron Smith.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1yv1ydov said:
Let's face it. We got extremely lucky in many instances with Okung's absence. How different is last season, if the plan B LT ends up letting Robert Quinn kill Russell and cause him to miss significant games to injury. You cannot gamble with the franchise to the degree we did last year when Okung was out. And I'm not going out on a limb in saying I doubt Okung plays a full year or even finishes the year/is available for the playoffs.

Don't even get me started. As much as I love Pete, playing McQuistan at left tackle for half a season with Bailey on the bench was inexcusable. Bailey may be young, but the tools are definitely there and his preseason performance made national headlines.

Scottemojo":1yv1ydov said:
I don't think Breno is going to get away.

You said the same thing about Tate a year ago. I admire the optimism. I hope you are proven right.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":1v8q6b98 said:
Attyla the Hawk":1v8q6b98 said:

Don't even get me started. As much as I love Pete, playing McQuistan at left tackle for half a season with Bailey on the bench was inexcusable. Bailey may be young, but the tools are definitely there and his preseason performance made national headlines.

Scottemojo":1v8q6b98 said:

You said the same thing about Tate a year ago. I admire the optimism. I hope you are proven right.

I am most likely wrong about all of it. We are going to have a Florida Marlins fire sale, truth be told.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":fi8lhlyo said:
I am most likely wrong about all of it. We are going to have a Florida Marlins fire sale, truth be told.

This appeals to my dark sense of humor.

In addition to our FA losses, I would be surprised if guys like Bryant, Mebane, Baldwin, and Sherman are not at least shopped. Shopping Maxwell might make some sense too, because I doubt he gets a 2nd contract from us.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":kwdtcr7f said:

Breno had by far his best year. Can't imagine him being that expensive either?

McGruff

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2p4j4aoe said:
Scottemojo":2p4j4aoe said:

Breno had by far his best year. Can't imagine him being that expensive either?

Can't imagine he'd take less than last year, when he was paid 3.5 million with a nearly 5 million cap hit. In a tight offseason with a lot of big money contracts coming, that's a lot of money for right tackle who is coming up on 30 years old.

And IMO the drop off between Breno and Bailey/Bowie seems to be fairly minimal.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2sli4z3p said:
I think this particular tackle is going to go higher than people are currently saying. Getting a lot of comparisons to some pretty good players like Tyron Smith.

Yeah, I get that same sense. Him and Antonio Richardson seem to be getting a bit lost in the wash of pre combine hype. It's odd that they are getting marginalized while Taylor Lewan seems to be incapable of being considered outside the top 12.

That's kind of why I said, if he falls to us, we'd be obliged to take him. I don't expect it for sure. But every draft some guy falls. And I'm not convinced that Bailey and Bowie won't be quality contributors for us next year. There is a lot to like and I have to agree with the assessment that this system takes time to master. Both should be considerably better than they were this year. They showed plenty of flashes of quality -- the consistency is what takes the time.

I do think that hitting on those two changes the outlook that Seattle had entering the 2013 draft when they wanted OT prospects early. I think it'll take a special guy falling that we can't necessarily account on for us to pull the trigger at OT at #32. The OL outlook looks pretty healthy right now. If we have to take one or two OL prospects on day 3 -- I think we're in good shape. Bowie and/or Bailey should be in a position to really compete and possibly win at either OG spot if the status quo is maintained.

gmor

Reaction score
kearly":j59emqgk said:
joeseahawks":j59emqgk said:

I'm guessing that the mock is assuming that we are trying to supplant Okung due to his high salary. Arguments have been made on this board about him not being elite and the money could be used for Russell, Wright....
Our need for weapons is very real. Look at the Denver game. Wilson was barely touched because that defense had their hands full defending Percy Harvin. We need another big bodied weapon or two anyway and that need will be magnified further when Percy misses games again next season. Seattle would be foolish to bank on 19-20 games from Harvin next year. There are some A-list talents that fit this bill and happen to be available in the late first. By contrast it's looking like a ho-hum year for interior OL early on.

NorthDallas40oz":j59emqgk said:

Snohomie

Reaction score
I just watched a couple games of his. Someone could make one hell of a highlight OR lowlight reel from just a few games. Strength, Aggressiveness, Athletic Talent, Footwork, Instincts... you name it, he demonstrated it very well and very poorly, sometimes on the same drive. Think DeMarcus Cousins if you were like me and watched a bunch of Kings games last year (damn it).

If he ever puts it all together, he could be a damn good LT, in some ways more talented than Okung... but consistency matters a lot in a tackle, and Cyrus is so inconsistent, I kind of doubt he will put it all together.