SEC DPOTY: Michael Sam announced he is gay

Pick6

Reaction score
Missouri DE Michael Sam announced he is gay. I think its good for him that he did this before the draft and while I don't think his draft stock should drop because he is gay but its possible. If you guys aren't familiar with him, he was the same guy that got the strip sack that led to a TD fumble return in the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma St.

Rocket

Reaction score
It would seem so.
He'd be perfect here, if he can play.
Pete cares only if he can play.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Watching his interview with ESPN right now...my thoughts? If the man can play which he clearly can, there should be a place for him somewhere in the NFL

Edit: he sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
gadgor":1rs7brza said:
Can he play the LEO position?
Yes, that would be his position, but only situationally. His lack of size (length) will limit him to being a situational edge rusher on passing downs, as he is not a good run defender and at 6'-1.5" he often gets engulfed by OT's when they get their hands on him. He's a slightly richer man's Dexter Davis.

gadgor

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":wa5tpfun said:
gadgor":wa5tpfun said:
Yes, that would be his position, but only situationally. His lack of size (length) will limit him to being a situational edge rusher on passing downs, as he is not a good run defender and at 6'-1.5" he often gets engulfed by OT's when they get their hands on him. He's a slightly richer man's Dexter Davis.

Hmm I see...has the team given up on the notion of Bruce Irvin being the replacement to Clemons? If so, is it worth the risk to take a chance on Sam in the later rounds?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
gadgor":1jrwvpr1 said:
NorthDallas40oz":1jrwvpr1 said:
gadgor":1jrwvpr1 said:

Hmm I see...has the team given up on the notion of Bruce Irvin being the replacement to Clemons? If so, is it worth the risk to take a chance on Sam in the later rounds?
Yes, Bruce Irvin is a full-time Sam LB now, his Leo DE days are over. I think if this news torpedoes Michael Sam's draft stock and he's still on the board late in Day 3, the Hawks would have to seriously consider him, given that he does possess legit pass-rushing talent as a backup Leo type and situational rusher. Sooner or later the media attention surrounding Sam and his story will go away, and his team will be left with just the player that he is, and you could do a lot worse than a player like Michael Sam late in the draft if he's there. And Seattle would be an ideal landing place for him, as its not an everyday media mecca, there's plenty of other things to talk about as it relates to the Seahawks (defending champs, personalities like Sherman, Wilson, etc.), and the Hawks organization is one of support and inclusiveness.

tubbs51

Reaction score
-The Glove-":185da9m9 said:
Watching his interview with ESPN right now...my thoughts? If the man can play which he clearly can, there should be a place for him somewhere in the NFL

Edit: he sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders
No kidding.

What an amazing story. I hope he has major success in the NFL.

If the Seahawks draft him the 12th Man would welcome him with open arms.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
He is either a) trying to get his 15 minutes of fame, or b) hoping his stock drops enough as a result so that Pete and John will take him as yet another late round steal in the draft.

I doubt very much most of America cares what people do in their private sexual lives. I also find it somewhat interesting so many feel the compulsion to make a huge deal out of it and make sure everyone else knows damned well what their sexual preferences are, and feel the need to announce it loud and long enough to get a rise out of a few who don't share their beliefs.

The gay community is the new Jehovah's Witnesses. "Knock, knock; I'm wondering if you'll take a few minutes to hear the wonderful story of how I'M GAY!"

joeseahawks

Reaction score
SI had this to say about him:
The news that former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam is gay holds significant social and cultural ramifications. But from a purely football perspective, his decision to come out prior to May's NFL draft will make his path to the league daunting, eight NFL executives and coaches told SI.com.

In blunt terms, they project a significant drop in Sam's draft stock, a publicity circus and an NFL locker room culture not prepared to deal with an openly gay player. Sam, the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, was projected as a mid- to late-round draft pick prior to his announcement.

While none of the executives overtly condemned Sam's decision, their opinions illuminated an NFL culture in which an openly gay player -- from the draft room to the locker room -- faces long odds and a lonely path.

The executives and coaches were granted anonymity by SI.com for their honesty. Their answers were consistently unsparing.

"I don't think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet," said an NFL player personnel assistant. "In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It'd chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room."

All the NFL personnel members interviewed believed that Sam's announcement will cause him to drop in the draft. He was projected between the third and seventh rounds prior to the announcement. The question is: How far will he fall?

"I just know with this going on this is going to drop him down," said a veteran NFL scout. "There's no question about it. It's human nature. Do you want to be the team to quote-unquote 'break that barrier?'"

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... z2ssuaxwuO

Source:

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2epvvro6 said:
He is either a) trying to get his 15 minutes of fame, or b) hoping his stock drops enough as a result so that Pete and John will take him as yet another late round steal in the draft.

I doubt very much most of America cares what people do in their private sexual lives. I also find it somewhat interesting so many feel the compulsion to make a huge deal out of it and make sure everyone else knows damned well what their sexual preferences are, and feel the need to announce it loud and long enough to get a rise out of a few who don't share their beliefs.

The gay community is the new Jehovah's Witnesses. "Knock, knock; I'm wondering if you'll take a few minutes to hear the wonderful story of how I'M GAY!"

He's not just a normal citizen announcing his sexuality. Of course in the every day world, it's not a big deal anymore really. But in the context of professional sports, especially football, it is a huge deal since he would be first openly gay football player.

As far as his announcing it now. I highly doubt he wants his "15 minutes of fame". By announcing this before the draft, he ensures that the team he goes to is well-aware accepting of him. Otherwise, he could end up in, say, Minnesota.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Based on the article from SI above, I suspect he will end up either a Seahawks or a 49er. I don't think both organizations will have an issue with the player on their team. Lots of GMs and owners in the NFL really need to look themselves in the mirror.
The only question that needs to be asked is: Can the guy play? Can he do his job better than others? Can he help his team win games?
Unfortunately, America still has a long way to go. And it is sad.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I hope it does drop his draft stock and we take him. Any other talented guys wanna come out too that'd be cool.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Seahawk Sailor":1rwsn94e said:

Um, no.

Because he cannot just have a romantic relationship with a dude without the media getting in his business, it is better for him to do this preemptively.

Furthermore, it's pretty clear that a large chunk of people care considering the fights in a number of states (Utah, Oklahoma, Kansas, North Carolina) regarding gay marriage and even laws that are meant to curb being gay (Ken Cucinelli running partially on an anti-oral sex law platform).

CPHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, but can he play?! I get it's a big deal to some people, but I also bet there is a larger amount of people who could care less what his sexual orientation is. Being a great player cures all, just ask Dennis Rodman during his playing days, not anymore standing up for a dictator ends all good will from fans.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
It's a big deal only because we're told it has to be a big deal. And we're told this by the same idiot talking heads that told us Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson had no business in the NFL. Nobody cares except for the idiots trying to make sensational click-bait out of it.

randomation

Reaction score
Interesting could cause him to drop a lot honestly it was apparently an open secret at Mizzou and was part of the reason he was already dropped on boards supposedly.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... aft-stock/

Honestly I think its better to just come out now then to try to hide it people will kind of ask why isn't this guys showing up with the standard NFL arm candy especially if he becomes a star. He really wouldn't be able to date at all as long as he gets on a team and can show what he can do I expect this guy to stick he is a high motor intelligent guy. The media will be over it by the time the season starts honestly assuming he makes the roster its better to just get it out of the way now.

kearly

Reaction score
Both the 49ers and Seahawks had prominent players speak out loudly against openly gay football players in their locker rooms. IIRC, it was Chris Clemons in Seattle. Granted, Clemons is probably gone this offseason, but there is obviously a homophobic culture at work in NFL locker rooms and black culture has famously done little to hide their distaste for it as well. The real question becomes, can a locker room handle it? There is a risk of distraction. That isn't Sam's fault, it's just the way the world works right now.

I'm very impressed by Michael Sam's courage. To make this announcement knowing that it could potentially jeopardize an NFL dream takes some serious guts. This isn't some first round talent. He's a mid-round guy, an DE who stands the same height as Nick Reed. Serious balls.

I actually kind of hope he isn't a Seahawk. It's so hard for mid-late round guys to make this team, and I don't want to hear accusations of homophobia when he's cut. Very much rooting for him to make history though.