Term I would like not to see during draft speculation

HawkGA

Reaction score
Stud. As in, "we should draft a couple of stud OL . . ."

I saw that the other day in one of the newspaper comment sections. I bet every GM around the league wished they have figured that out. Just draft a couple of studs. I'm sure there are some unemployed GMs thinking, "Oh shit, I was following a 'draft busts' strategy."

Ok. Rant over.

Honorable Mention: We should trade our 6th and 7th draft choices, and a player who is actually a free agent, for the first pick in the draft.

Ok. Rant over. Seriously this time.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hehe, that one is always a pet peeve of mine too.

Usually when people say that, the response to the obvious follow up, "Like who?" is a vapid empty stare.

kearly

Reaction score
A lot of fans don't follow the draft closely and basically view the whole thing as a convenience store for team needs. I think if we blame anyone for this, it's guys like Mel Kiper who in all their sunny positivity paint almost every 1st round pick like's a future all-pro. You never hear those guys citing the statistics of how often 1st round picks bust. This leads fans to the idea that every top 10 QB is a surefire franchise player, that you can just buy a 15 sack player if you own a high pick in any draft, etc.

OL is one of the hardest positions to draft for and this has been reflected in recent years as OL are going higher and higher in the draft. IIRC the 2013 draft set a record for OL drafted in the top 20 picks. Anyone who thinks you can just "buy" a stud OL with a 1st round pick should probably double check where their team is drafting, and given the high bust rate for the position, should probably refrain from such thoughts even with good draft capital.

HawkWow

Reaction score
It's actually incredibly easy to understand the difficulty in finding OL. Just keep track of how many 6'6" 320 lb men you see walking around over the next week that you wouldn't classify as obese. . Even here in Hawaii, you won't see many.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":3iqqqaqm said:
Honorable Mention: We should trade our 6th and 7th draft choices, and a player who is actually a free agent, for the first pick in the draft.

Ok. Rant over. Seriously this time.

This would actually be a good deal for the other team IF Schneider is able to make the picks for them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Can't Miss prospect, all the measurables. :(

Honerable mention,

Mel Kiper Says.....................

seadoc30

Reaction score
But seriously, I really hope we get a couple stud :lol: o-lineman for next year. It was unbelievably fun to watch RW actually complete slant passes. I think it was because of the blocking he got from his oline.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
HawkWow":14sxggrk said:
It's actually incredibly easy to understand the difficulty in finding OL. Just keep track of how many 6'6" 320 lb men you see walking around over the next week that you wouldn't classify as obese. . Even here in Hawaii, you won't see many.

if i saw carpenter walking by id think hes just an obese man.
if i realized it was carpenter, id then take note that its an obese man that plays football.

verdict:
its hard to find good offensive lineman that arnt just big blobs, confirming ops point. really hoping to find a stud this year though :twisted: