The guy Ra'shede Hageman reminds me of

kearly

Reaction score
Tony McDaniel. Similar height and build (McDaniel: 6'7" 305, Hageman: 6'6" 318). Both look like super-tall DEs but are very stout inside at DT. Both have the athleticism to rack up TFLs. I think Hageman is just a little more impressive because of how well he moves at 318 pounds, and keep in mind that I think very highly of Tony McDaniel, but I think it's a very close comparison.

If we draft Hageman, I wouldn't expect him to be Ndamukong Suh. I think he'd be a run stopper first, pass rusher second. I don't think he'd be a star so much as a really nice long term piece of the puzzle, similar to the contribution level Brandon Mebane has given us.

Not sure if he's worthy of a first round pick, but I like him. I think he's going to be a good to have NFL player.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Look at you Kearly. Said you weren't gonna do the draft this year but you couldn't resist could ya? Glad you decided to start watching some film, even if you don't do it on the level you normally do it.

As for Hageman, I think that is a solid comparison, although I think Hageman's get off and athleticism is a little better than McDaniel (I also like McDaniel a lot). Say we do retain McDaniel on a 2 or 3 year deal and happen to lose Red like most believe is going to happen, could you see Hageman play 5 tech (or McDaniel)?
I think Hageman shows the ability to two gap and would be an upgrade athletically. He has the size and length. Thinking of that in more of a temporary role just to get him on the field type of thing.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I wonder how long Hageman's arms are. Because if he has 35", 36" arms, he might be worth comparing to Calais Campbell.

pcbball12

Reaction score
I love that comp. On film they look long. I'll be interested to see what they measure come combine.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
kearly":28874izi said:
I wonder how long Hageman's arms are. Because if he has 35", 36" arms, he might be worth comparing to Calais Campbell.

I could see Arizona drafting Hageman. Dockett's old and they need to re-up on the D-line like the hawks need too for the same reasons.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Given how inexact the draft is, I would absolutely say that a "Mebane-like" career is worth the 32nd overall pick. 7 healthy years as one of the best 4-3 noses in the league.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Mebane has definitely provided 1st round value. No question. I kind of like the idea of taking a run-plugging, pocket-collapsing DT in the 1st, especially if he's a long-term solution at that spot. People seem pretty high on Hageman. If he worked out, it'd save you a lot of money in future years.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Derek Wolfe was drafted in a similar area a couple years ago. He got hurt in 2013 but he had a very impressive rookie season. Wolfe is a different kind of DT but both are athletic "get after it" types who combine tools with motor. Injuries aside, I don't think anyone in Denver is regretting that pick. Wolfe is not a star, but he's a very good player. I think Brockers in St. Louis is in this category as well.

cover-2

Reaction score
Hageman size and athletic ability is so unique and it is difficult to find a recent player to compare him with.

Earlier during the football season I compared him to Jets DE Muhammad Wilkerson, but Hageman is an inch or two taller and may have a little more athleticism than Wilkerson.

Hageman may best compare to former Patriots DE / Raider DT Richard Seymour. Seymour was 6-6 300 lbs when he was drafted, but played around 310 - 315 lbs in the NFL. Seymour had quickness, closing speed, and was a fairly fluid athlete for his size.

Here is a highlight clip of Seymour in the backend of his career with the Raiders.
[youtube]iv_Yu3fcFqo[/youtube]

Seymour, like Hageman, is not a big man to be messed with.
[youtube]ID6QLJxnkn8[/youtube]