CBSSports article on Tyler Starr

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
There's a bit of a slow burning buzz on this kid as he has a combo of 'Urlacher-esch' (minus the mane)physical attributes and Thomas Howard-like movement skills. He's still a little under the radar but fits the prototype model for a Hawks pick. Would love to see what Ken Norton could get out of this guy. I still don't buy that a LBr will be that much that much faster than CB's doing the drill. Is this kid the next Jarred Allen, Demarcus Ware small school 'big fish' waiting to explode? Or another Jameson Khan, Mark Legree flameout?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He's not that under the radar. I've had him amongst a few select prospects as 'successor prospects' to guys we already have. Starr is a late bloomer prospect for whom the combine is going to be huge. The long blonde hair aside, his progression track is very similar to Clay Matthews as a guy who started football under 200 lbs and has blossomed/filled out during his college stay.

He's not expected to break 4.6 in the 40. He does however have very good acceleration and burst. His measurables will be key for him. He measured 6'3" at the shrine game at 249. Does he have arm length to make tackles? Can he distinguish himself as a good tester which would be required for Seattle to consider him. Those will be important questions.

I've seen him consistently as a 5th to 7th round guy. Occasionally you see a late 4th. But mostly a late day 3 pick.

He has shown a real knack for coverage. He's not as instinctive as KJ Wright, but I see him having similar athletic gifts as him. He could be a solid successor for Wright when it comes time to make a hard decision on a quality good but not great player. But if he can't crack 4.7 then I think he's probably not going to be on our radar.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I'd love it if we got him. First NFL player with my last name for a long time. He would just automatically have to be my adopt-a-rookie.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Well he didn't break the 3 cone record, but he did have a very solid time. 5th fastest overall so far in the 3 cone.

6'4, 250, 32.5" arms, 4.95 40, 6.64 3 cone, 4.15 20 yd shuttle.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tyler-starr?id=2543857

Another name to keep an eye on. He's being shown as a late rounder, which would be the perfect place to take a risk on him.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Fwiw, faster 3-cone time than Bruce Irvin (6.70) and Von Miller (also 6.70).

JMR

Reaction score
I watched some but not all of his workout. He looked very ordinary to me. Have never seen him play actual football though, which means more than the drills in Indy.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
JMR":2rkoae91 said:
I watched some but not all of his workout. He looked very ordinary to me. Have never seen him play actual football though, which means more than the drills in Indy.

He looked way worse than ordinary. You could just hear the disappointment in Mayock's voice anytime he was doing anything. The drill where he shuffled laterally then followed prompts to backpedal and explode forward were laughable, and it was obvious that the guy had given up before the drill was over.

Pass.

cover-2

Reaction score
Starr plays faster than his 40-yard time, and he is a fluid LB for his size. I don't really care too much that he preformed poorly at some of the combine drills.

Fun fact, Starr at 6ft 4inches tall has shorter arms (32 1/2 inches) than 6ft 3/8 inch DT Aaron Donald (32 5/8 inches).

[youtube]azuNv-9yQsA[/youtube]

JMR

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1ukafnsv said:
JMR":1ukafnsv said:

He looked way worse than ordinary. You could just hear the disappointment in Mayock's voice anytime he was doing anything. The drill where he shuffled laterally then followed prompts to backpedal and explode forward were laughable, and it was obvious that the guy had given up before the drill was over.

Pass.
<shrug> Yeah I saw the exact same thing.....I guess I was trying not to slam him him but you're totally accurate.