Best Recommended Draft Sites?

Lynch'sLamborghini

Reaction score
I'm wondering if folks, particularly the forum's resident draft nicks, wouldn't mind sharing their favorite sites for draft analysis and information. I like to consider myself a semi-committed observer of the draft, but it's been a few years since I've been able to engage in the way I'd like to.

I'm familiar with Football's Future and Football Outsiders as well as other independent sites like Walter's Football. Obviously ESPN offers a large volume of coverage of varying quality. But my knowledge falls off there. My own personal interest isn't so much in which sites offer a mock draft (though I know most sites feature these), but rather in sites that offer good statistical analysis, perspective and reviews/descriptions that allow a viewer to get a sense of their collegiate body of work.

So, what sites would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

chris98251

Reaction score
Depends on if you want to go into pay for content.

Here's a link with multiples, some good some bad, some just trying to get themselves a reputation. It will give you something to do as well as a variety of styles and you can pick you own.

http://dcprosportsreport.com/MockDraft.htm

Also many are added as they get closer to Draft day, it's a not fixed as far as posted links and is updated pretty regular with new updated picks per site, which is nice so you can see latest trends.

Rob has his linked there as well or better known as theENGLISHseahawk .

Ourlads is pretty good, and there are a lot of others that give opinions, just perse through at your leisure and bookmark favorites. I use this is a link to see latest mocks and if anyone new pops up, Great Blue North is decent as well. Many times good sites wait till closer to draft day to link their sites since I beleive you pay a fee to link it.

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawks Draft Blog of course! SDB aside,

Ourlads was the one draft site for which I never really understood the hype. The webpage looks like it's been outdated by 15 years, the content updates are few and far inbetween, and the prospect rankings feel a bit "dartboardy" to me. Their non-draft articles are pretty good though. I think they deserve some credit for having connections and getting big interviews.

If you just want to have fun and don't mind spending money, I've always liked Mel Kiper's product. I don't think it will provide much predictive value for the Seahawks, but Kiper is entertaining and makes it fun to learn about the top prospects.

Mockingthedraft is okay if you are bored. It's basically a half-tier above bleacher report in that there are a lot of contributors with questionable talent, but I still check there when I need a fix sometimes because it is a good news site and there is a lot of content.

My favorite is SI's Tony Pauline (draftinsider.net). I do not always agree with his scouting opinion, but I like that he's an in-depth thinker. He gets a lot of inside scoop stuff too, so does rotoworld. This time of year, it's much more likely to be bogus than true, but it's still great fun. I find his draft boards to be the most accurate out there most years. He's also very well connected and bases his draft boards on what actual GMs anonymously reveal to him. If Tony Pauline says a consensus 2nd rounder will go 1st round, I'd take Pauline's word.

The draft lab guy from ESPN, KC Joyner, is fantastic as well.

Matt Waldman is the guy I agree with the most, and he is also an incredibly talented writer with a Greg Cosell level understanding of X's and O's. My only complaint about him is that he can be pretty dry and longwinded as a writer. I almost always find myself wanting him to just get to the point already when I read his stuff.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I enjoy perusing as many as I can to compare what is being said about the same player. Be open to reading content on nearly any site - no matter the rep. Ya never know what you might find that you would want to take a closer look at through player footage (or what you might and should already know about certain players from watching College football) to see if said things be so.

I'm most interested to find out about players that are not being overly talked about. It's pretty cool to stumble upon a potential gem and follow the attention that player might get leading up to the draft. It's funny how some sites make a list of "sleepers", but their idea of a "sleeper" is a smaller school prospect. Meaning, a sleeper doesn't get defined (for example) as perhaps a second string guy say at a major program like Alabama who didn't get his chance b/c he was playing behind a top prospect. Here's one example: http://www.draftcountdown.com/Rankings/SLEEPERS.php I still like that site, though. It's sort of nice to have a list of those small school guys (and no matter the order they place them in). I think it's at least a good place to start... for a free site.

I have not delved into the pay sites. IMHO (because I haven't seen what I might be missing), those can get it just as wrong as the non-fee sites. (So, I do appreciate those who do put more time in that might have access to that content and interested to read what they have to share.) Perhaps I am truly missing something by not subscribing to pay sites (and I'd better keep it that way b/c I already spend more time that I probably should.) So, I get my fix with the available free sites. Here's just one decent enough list of various links (again, from the same site I listed before): http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Links.php

It's funny how I tend to probably focus bit too much on a players' measurable's when looking at various sites, but my overall intended assessment plan is... can the guy PLAY FOOTBALL? What has the player done and what is the player doing most recently on the field? Is he a football player? Just watch the tape. When I'm searching, I'm on the lookout for those type guys. No matter what is said or is on paper, I want to see it.

Sites are as good and bad as the Mel Kipers of the business. At the end of the day, still just opinions. Seems like Mike Mayock is building a good rep for doing his homework, but even he misses on players still.