Jonathan Dowling W. Kentucky FS convert CB?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Considered to be one of the ten most controversal players in the draft by NFL.com. Jonathan Dowling is 6'2 205 lbs has a rangy frame that needs to add bulk with long arms. Dowling has speed/range and is a play maker at safety with 9 ints and 8 FF's in the last two seasons. Dowling looks like a seahawks CB prospect if i've ever seen one. the knocks on Dowling is that he is lean, over confident, coachability, mental toughness, shoddy tackling and being outspoken. Seattle could take all that and make an all pro with R. Sherman being his teacher by leading by example.

also has a draft grade of 4th or 5th round.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
"Dowling told reporters that "I'm not an angel" and admitted to skipping practices at Florida, according to Rivals.com"

Intriguing prospect. I am fine with us taking a chance on this guy as long as Pete can fix his missing practice habits. I am sure John & Pete would interview him at the combine or by bringing him in to vmac if they are interested. Good find though!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This is a defense who makes their living via toughness.

I really could care less about his ball skills. You won't tackle? You can't play for us. Every player on this team tackles. It's about attitude and you can't coach that. Let some team that covets the likes of DRC to take him. Denver would love to have him.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":b3arrzov said:

I really could care less about his ball skills. You won't tackle? You can't play for us. Every player on this team tackles. It's about attitude and you can't coach that.

Well thats exactly what Seattle does. Teach tackling, press fundamentals, and toughness. What you can't teach is being 6'2 with long arms. I have not watched alot of tape on the other later round CB's the Seahawks have picked up the past few years but they were'nt the players they are today. The Seahawks have a system that when executed correctly by the right person (6'0+, 200lbs+) is hard for any WR to beat.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":3kejki2k said:
Attyla the Hawk":3kejki2k said:

I really could care less about his ball skills. You won't tackle? You can't play for us. Every player on this team tackles. It's about attitude and you can't coach that.

Well thats exactly what Seattle does. Teach tackling, press fundamentals, and toughness. What you can't teach is being 6'2 with long arms. I have not watched alot of tape on the other later round CB's the Seahawks have picked up the past few years but they were'nt the players they are today. The Seahawks have a system that when executed correctly by the right person (6'0+, 200lbs+) is hard for any WR to beat.

What good does it do to coach up a player who doesn't want to be coached? Players have to buy in to comPete, and if the guy shows any inclination that he won't, Seattle will take him off their draft board.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Built like Jimmy Smith, off field problems like Jimmy Smith.

It took 3 years, but Smith has turned into a good player. If we could get a guy like him in the later rounds, score.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":1d1bsu2d said:
Attyla the Hawk":1d1bsu2d said:

It's not about technique. It's about attitude. We do teach fundamentals. But the guys we've taught it to have a clear edginess and physicality that very likely made them good candidates for development.

I'm not sure you can impart toughness and physicality into a person. Either you are or you aren't. It's likely no different than height/length.

Physically, he looks the part for a development project. I just have reservations that he won't develop the attitude. I don't recall this team taking guys and giving them that hunger and physicality. Seems that's a trait Seattle expects their prospects to bring to the party themselves.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I'd much rather have to teach a player technique then hope they discover grit/will/toughness.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":258z0ido said:
Lynch Mob":258z0ido said:
Attyla the Hawk":258z0ido said:

It's not about technique. It's about attitude.

Tell that to Richard Sherman and see what he says.

What makes you say that this player lacks toughness ? Dowling sure has the edge being one of the most controversial players in the draft. His issues are he does'nt wrap up when he tackles, his attitude and needs to add strength. All of which can be developed. Pete Carroll has a way of getting the best out of these types of players.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":5fa3am9l said:
Built like Jimmy Smith, off field problems like Jimmy Smith.

It took 3 years, but Smith has turned into a good player. If we could get a guy like him in the later rounds, score.

Tharold Simon is a similar kind of pre-draft story as well.

Hawks46

Reaction score
If he's that good at FS, he might be the new backup to Thomas.

Kearly beat me to it, but Simon had attitude problems as well. This guy seems to meet all the physical requirements of PC. As for the attitude, Pete seems to be able to turn that around. The kid said 'I'm not an Angel' to reporters, so he's not an idiot and is self aware enough to know he's had some issues.

As for coachability, our team is probably tailor made for guys like this. Seriously, as a rookie, how do you come into to an "always compete" environment, land on a roster as loaded as this one, and have an "I'm the big shit" attitude ? We're talking about one of the historically best secondaries ever. Thomas, Chancellor and Sherman all also have strong leadership skills, so it's not really the coaching staff that will kick this kid in the ass, it's the players.

I could see it working.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":t5zjkonr said:
Considered to be one of the ten most controversal players in the draft by NFL.com. Jonathan Dowling is 6'2 205 lbs has a rangy frame that needs to add bulk with long arms. Dowling has speed/range and is a play maker at safety with 9 ints and 8 FF's in the last two seasons. Dowling looks like a seahawks CB prospect if i've ever seen one. the knocks on Dowling is that he is lean, over confident, coachability, mental toughness, shoddy tackling and being outspoken. Seattle could take all that and make an all pro with R. Sherman being his teacher by leading by example.

also has a draft grade of 4th or 5th round.

Dowling is also 6'3, 190 lbs with 33'inch arms.

Dowling's combine numbers: 40- 4.52, B-press-8, V-jump-33'inch, B-jump-118.0'inch, 3cone-7.04, shuttle-4.24,
60yd shuttle-11.56.

Seattle should look at this guy in the 4th or 5th. Could be Desean Shead type of player CB or Safety.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Off-the-field issues sound like things the Seahawks can fix. Not showing up for practice sounds distinctly UNLIKE a Seahawks player. Not showing up for practice is the opposite of "always compete." Of course it could be fixed, but I doubt they'd rather start off with a guy like that.