Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Yes, up to $3-4 m/yr

Votes: 41 62.1%
  • No, draft a WR

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
This is a decent read that briefly albeit correctly summarizes our FA situation: http://www.football.com/en-us/seahawks-face-brutal-off-season-decisions/

I <3 having Tate on our team as much as anyone. He's a beloved showboat, he gets great YAC, is an outstanding PR, and hes homegrown. But after reading the above article one point stood out- if we do resign Tate to a sizable contract that it gives Schneider less flexibility in 2015' when Sherman's, Wilson's, and Thomas's (regardless if he's been extended, because his cap hit will rise) contracts are up. It's not just about this offseason, and I'd personally let Tate walk if it would take over $4+ m/yr. And I do think some team will actually offer $6-7 m/yr due to his versatility. I hope we don't try to match that. I would save that $ for next off-season when we really need it. The salary cap goes up, probably about $7-8m next year but that's still NOT enough cushion for Sherman, Wilson, Thomas etc. This along with the depth of talent at WR in the upcoming draft, I no longer feel that resigning Tate is a priority.

We all know Rice is a goner. And although Kearse played outstanding football this season, he is by no means the big/fast #1 receiver we desire at flanker.

Losing both Rice and Tate creates a need on this roster at WR (and PR) perhaps only rivaled by the need at OL (and DL if we fail to resign ppl). And thats fine, simply because there are so many top-end WRs in this draft... so it honestly would a shame to not snag one. Look how Baldwin, Kearse and Tate all have evolved into consistent play-makers within Pete's system- he gets the most out of them and its obvious investing in WR's out of college has worked for us long-term. Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams and Jordan Matthews all seem like they could be potential game-changers in the future. We could also take a flier on Brandon Coleman in the 2nd, although hes a little raw. But he's 6-6" 220 and runs a projected 4.4ish 40.

Kelvin Benjamin http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1860744/kelvin-benjamin
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXWjWCzjEiA

Allen Robinson http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1889923/allen-robinson
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR9EWfVyMuY

Davante Adams http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1893167/davante-adams
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvGeiqmqWE0

Jordan Mathews http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1785887/jordan-matthews
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfoPwGsNhco

Brandon Coleman http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737368/brandon-coleman
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhPTLZ3Tdc

Given that we already will cut Rice- if we don't retain Tate, do you think we need to select a WR in the 1st or 2nd rounds? Discuss.

Jville

Reaction score
As a side note, Danny O'Neil had a very unscientific fan poll yesterday on "Which wide receiver is it more important for the Seahawks to bring back for next season?"

The results were: Doug Baldwin 72% and Golden Tate 27%

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Meh, even Welker only makes 6 million isn't it? And he is the highest paid slot receiver in the NFL. 3-4 million is Tate's number.

Hawkintent

Reaction score
I think Tate is more important to this team in his ability to tilt the field as a receiver and returner. A great defense and a great punt return team is a combo that decisively wins field position battles and makes the game favorable for scoring points and preventing points.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2ycwc886 said:
Meh, even Welker only makes 6 million isn't it? And he is the highest paid slot receiver in the NFL. 3-4 million is Tate's number.
Tate isn't a slot receiver...

OP
OP
seatownlowdown

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2cn23pg7 said:

Yes, but lets be real here. Tate isn't a slot guy. And Welker is underpaid as a receiver in general. Even the Broncos know how lucky they are. And Tate, playing for a heavy-run team that spreads the ball around when they do pass still racked up 898 yards, with many coming as YAC. He was also rated as the best PR in the game last season. So he has versatility to go along with his explosiveness. Oh, and he's just 25 coming off his rookie contract. Someone will undoubtedly offer him $5+ m/yr to be their #2 receiver/PR, it only takes one team.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Just with the state of today's NFL. This is what it seems like to me. All the teams with a few huge names are just making playoffs (if that). While teams with a bunch of no-names, suddenly break deep into the playoffs (or leave with huge promise like last year), and suddenly turn no-names into big names. I'd like to keep it that way. Keep drafting and get the most out of these young guys.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Let Tate go, Draft a wr in round 1 or 2.

Best case scenario: Harvin stays healthy, db Does his thing, kearse steps up, the cfl kid and or rookie look legit.
In which case we let db go next year and keep saving money.

Worse case scenario: Harvin is injury prove, db plays like db, kearse stays forever a role player, both young kids suck.
In which case it gives us less flexibility with negotiating with db.

Either way, our destiny is on the shoulders of keeping our defense elite and rw healthy. I'm way against pouring money into the wr position if we don't have to.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":31vdfquz said:
MizzouHawkGal":31vdfquz said:

Yes, but lets be real here. Tate isn't a slot guy. And Welker is underpaid as a receiver in general. Even the Broncos know how lucky they are. And Tate, playing for a heavy-run team that spreads the ball around when they do pass still racked up 898 yards, with many coming as YAC. He was also rated as the best PR in the game last season. So he has versatility to go along with his explosiveness. Oh, and he's just 25 coming off his rookie contract. Someone will undoubtedly offer him $5+ m/yr to be their #2 receiver/PR, it only takes one team.
I don't make the rules and the rules are only a weapon like Percy or receivers that play outside get the money. I agree that Welker is underpaid but it is what it is. As someone else said I see 4 years/20 million/11 million guaranteed as something very realistic (he gets 5 for his versitility possibly). More likely is 4 years/16-18 million/9-10 guaranteed.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
We need speed on the outside besides Percy Harvin, as we found out this year, no credible WR threats equated to heavy interior blitzing. RW gets pummeled, Lynch gets slowed up in the backfield since he can't bounce it outside anymore, etc etc. Whether its a tall WR with credible speed that can develop with Wilson or a matter of CMike actually getting some snaps, defenses will be forced to pay more attn to them than simply breaking our OL apart every snap.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Lady Talon":1ez5yjt6 said:
We need speed on the outside besides Percy Harvin, as we found out this year, no credible WR threats equated to heavy interior blitzing. RW gets pummeled, Lynch gets slowed up in the backfield since he can't bounce it outside anymore, etc etc. Whether its a tall WR with credible speed that can develop with Wilson or a matter of CMike actually getting some snaps, defenses will be forced to pay more attn to them than simply breaking our OL apart every snap.
Agreed that's why I see us drafting a WR early.

SDHawk

Reaction score
If Percy was acquired last offseason within the scope of JS/PC's cap models, then I don't see why we wouldn't be able to sign Tate and Baldwin with the monies that Sidney Rice frees up after being cut. Cutting Rice would imply that we can sign Tate for up to $5mm per season and I think that jives with his market.

I get that this offense doesn't NEED Tate to be successful. But whenever someone says Tate is "replaceable", I'm reminded by the fact that Tate has been top 5 in YAC and return yardage over the last couple years.

I think players like Tate and Percy fit an offensive philosophy. That is, to maximize results out of conservative/low-risk plays. This is why we look for receivers that can own the redline, have sure hands and can make a move after the catch to pick up explosive yardage. Not only this, but we also put a premium on receivers that can, on occasion, improvise and play off Wilson's ability to extend plays. While none of Tate, Kearse and Baldwin will wow you with the measurables they put on paper, they have certainly delivered on the expectations we've demanded from them on the field.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2ie2oxs4 said:
seatownlowdown":2ie2oxs4 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2ie2oxs4 said:

I don't make the rules and the rules are only a weapon like Percy or receivers that play outside get the money. I agree that Welker is underpaid but it is what it is. As someone else said I see 4 years/20 million/11 million guaranteed as something very realistic (he gets 5 for his versitility possibly). More likely is 4 years/16-18 million/9-10 guaranteed.
Ummm...Tate does play on the outside

OP
OP
seatownlowdown

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
The Radish":16rakg94 said:
If we're going to discuss college players here this needs to be in the college/draft forum.

Why was this thread moved? I listed a few WR prospects but this thread is centered around Golden.

WTF?

SDHawk

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":1z9bdvov said:
Why was this thread moved? I listed a few WR prospects but this thread is centered around Golden.

WTF?

Jim? Jim is that you?

HARBAUGH-FREAKOUT_medium.gif

:mrgreen:

SDHawk

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":6ex58u3g said:
I can't top that ^

LOL, not to derail the thread but if this is what Harbaugh is like in public, could you imagine what Harbaugh is like at home? I would love to be a fly on the wall when his wife has the last of the milk in the morning and Harbaugh has none for his cereal.

CANHawk

Reaction score
People are throwing around a lot of things about GT, but one thing I'm not hearing a lot of is how consistent he's been. Given our track record in recent years with WRs, that's something of value right there. Rice, Baldwin and Harvin have all had their issues with owies while Tater's been a workhorse. A workhorse that plays multiple positions with relative ease. That's worth something in it's own right. I'd want to see him back in that $3m-$4m range because he's young and has proven himself. That totally fits with the team philosophy. Anything more than $3m-$4m though and you're paying him to be something he's not.