Why all the hype for ND TE Troy Niklas?

ivotuk

Reaction score
I've seen some people rank him above ASJ and there are comments like "fast rising prospect." I got excited and started watching some tape online, this guy caught zero passes in traffic or when contested. The only catches he made were when he was wide open and even dropped a couple of those.

I think people are looking for storylines and one person comments on somebody from a big school that no one else is talking about and all of a sudden he's a "sleeper" or "overlooked."

Crockett Gilmore on the other hand I find very intriguing.

http://www.seniorbowl.com/player-view.p ... quad=South

Another interesting prospect at TE is Jordan Najvar 6'6" 255# from Baylor. He made some nice catches in the Shrine Game.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
He's new to the TE position after starting out at DE. He's a huge guy and a very good athlete for that size. And lastly, he has great bloodlines (Matthews family). Big upside and still moldable.

I really like the guy and would totally draft him at pick 64. The reason I see some placing him above ASJ is because Niklas plays with a lot of intensity, where ASJ seems to coast/neutral through a lot of the game. I personally wouldn't have him higher than ASJ, but I can see why some might consider that, strictly due to the energy/intensity factor that he brings over ASJ.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He's a guy to watch. Position of need, and he's a physical specimen.

If he tanks at the combine, you can strike him off. But he's expected to perform well there. Seattle likes guys who are athletes they can mold.

SDHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk, honest question, did you watch the entire cut-up or did you give up after the first few drops?

SDHawk

Reaction score
Also, I mentioned a little bit about Najvar here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=90444

I agree, he's a cheap alternative to the TE's mentioned.

He's an accomplished blocker and has pass-catching upside. I would take a look after the 5th round.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I saw this guy plenty..He is good but can be great with some pro training/coaching...He has good speed and power..Tall...Like Gronk but bigger,I'd take him if I need a TE..Not rd1 though

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
SDHawk":2prrbsrh said:
ivotuk, honest question, did you watch the entire cut-up or did you give up after the first few drops?

These kinds of comments are unnecessary and are not honest. If they were, they wouldn't need to be prefaced by "honest question." Those comments tend to come from assumptions.

If you disagree with my observation, state so and reference something to refute my argument. I did watch all of it, and I ask you, can you find a time where a catch is contested and he comes down with it? Because in the NFL he's not going to see much else.

And all the physical talent in the world is not worth a 1st or 2nd round pick if they can't use it. (See Aaron Curry).

SDHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":78j5z0b8 said:
These kinds of comments are unnecessary and are not honest. If they were, they wouldn't need to be prefaced by "honest question." Those comments tend to come from assumptions.

If you disagree with my observation, state so and reference something to refute my argument. I did watch all of it, and I ask you, can you find a time where a catch is contested and he comes down with it? Because in the NFL he's not going to see much else.

And all the physical talent in the world is not worth a 1st or 2nd round pick if they can't use it. (See Aaron Curry).

No, you're being defensive. It was an honest question because I made the same mistake when a buddy first brought Niklas to my attention. I quit watching the cut-up after a couple of drops and had the same thought as you. Then, I went back and watch the entire tape and came away impressed. That's when I brought his name to this board.

The above said, I've moved on to Jordan Najvar. No tape on the guy other than Shrine Game practice footage and notes from various scouts. I like Jordan as a late round flier who could potentially give us the same kind of prospect as Niklas but for much lower cost.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
We need a TE who can block. Niklas can block like a beast. Ergo, he is someone they might consider if he is still sitting around at 64.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Several reasons why he is being talked about. Good hands, body control, blocking, related to hall of famer and future hall of famers. Guy would be a great pick for the seahawks.

I am interested to see how he runs, won't be a burner maybe a 4.8 with his size. Having him would be like having another tackle in fact he was considered a four-star recruit and was rated the 24th-best offensive tackle prospect in the nation by rivals. His Uncle, Bruce Mathews, played guard for ninteen seasons with the NFL and won pro-bowl honors fourteen times. He is related to several fantastic football talents, (a pretty good group of linebackers). Maycock made a statement that he "could be the best blocking tight end in the NFL in two or three years."

A few months ago 2-3 round was touted, and recently some consider him the fourth best TE. I would not be surprised if he was picked early in the 2nd based on his size, talent, upside, etc. I would be excited to see him as a Seahawk.

He was also lineman of the year, selected by LA times in H.S.. Still cool despite it was just the times.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/04 ... n-20110104

N.D. moved him to Lineback as a freshman just to get him on the field as Eifert was the starting TE. Sophomore he was primarily a blocking TE. He only played one season as a starter and was a surprise he declared early, probably due to Advisory Committee reportedly gave Niklas a second round grade. Again, I would be very very excited to see him picked up by the Seahawks.

cover-2

Reaction score
Niklas is Zeus playing TE. An athletic 6-6 270 freak TE.

0 big
Troy-Niklas-225x300.png

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Almost posted a topic about him not realizing there is another thread about him. He can learn the TE position very well from Pete Carroll. Niklas can be the Percy Harvin of TE's. Great catching and speed. He more than fits Carroll's size requirements. If I were the GM I would draft Niklas with the first pick, he is that worthy. That's just my opinion however.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2us3iruu said:
I would not want to spend our top rounds picks on a TE. Not worth it because you can find a blocking TE in the later rounds.

Even if he wound up producing like a Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hard one to judge.

Watched the TE drills he took part in and he looked stiff as a board. Not surprised he didn't run the forty. He complained about a 'strain', but I think it would've been an ugly time. 4.8's at best. The Gronk's a 4.68 guy so there's a bit of a difference there.

But at the same time, he's 270lbs without an ounce of fat. Very few people in this world look like Troy Niklas. I'd say his blocking technique was pretty rubbish at Notre Dame, but admittedly with that frame he could develop into a more fundamentally sound blocker.

As a pass catcher he's hopeless in traffic and does need a decent cushion to make plays. He gets the cushion though through separation, so there's that.

Intriguing prospect and if he'd run a 4.70 or whatever, I think I could've got behind this. But seeing him move in those drills made me think he might just be a slow, average big guy. And until he does run, that'll always linger just a little bit. I want to like him.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":d4zsmv2c said:
SeahawksFanForever":d4zsmv2c said:
I would not want to spend our top rounds picks on a TE. Not worth it because you can find a blocking TE in the later rounds.

Even if he wound up producing like a Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham?

That will never happen in our offense. Jimmy Graham had 144 targets this year. Wilson only threw the ball 400 times. The thing about our offense is no one will put up monster numbers on the receiving end. Calvin Johnson probably barely gets to 1000 yds in our offense.

Latest posts