WR Jordan Matthews (Updated with measurements)

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
I have watched tons of Jordan Matthews' interviews on YouTube and in almost every interview, he talks about competing, taking one day at a time, not looking ahead, just win games, etc. His personality is a mixture of Russell Wilson and Doug Baldwin. He's a student of the game and believes in preparation a lot just like Russell Wilson. He asked the coaches to let him study the film on the corners that he was going to be facing at the senior bowl. That's commitment. He is Jerry Rice's cousin and wants to be great like him so he plays a chip on his shoulder. He is 6'3" and about 209 lbs.

Thoughts on hawks drafting him?

Update: Jordan Matthews' rounded measurements: 6'3/212 lbs. 10 3/8" hands and 33 1/4" arms.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I like him a lot, in fact I like him better than Allen Robinson who seems to be quite popular. I would be very happy if he fell to us in the second not sure about spending a first on him though.

volshawk

Reaction score
Seen him play a good bit, especially against the Vols. Great CFB WR tho I wonder if has has enough speed to be elite. He does seem like a high character/intelligence guy in any case.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I posted some thoughts here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=89973

Overall, I'm a big fan. In a draft without a class of receivers like this year's I'd place him higher on the draft board, but I don't see him ever developing into a true #1 receiver compared to the other "upside" players in the draft. At worse, he's a solid #2 with a chance to be a Sidney Rice-type receiver who's more a 1b than 1a. If he's there at #64, I'm running to the podium because I think he has the talent to develop into a playmaker for Wilson, despite his lack of [elite] speed and size.

kearly

Reaction score
Not to overhype the guy or anything, but Matthews oozes "Seahawkiness" in every way. The interviews, his redline size and skillset, even the way he fights after the catch is very reminiscent of our receivers.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He's remained one of my favorite prospects. He isn't particularly explosive and he's not a sloth either. But he plays with an edginess that you can see when you watch him on tape. He has that pissed off for greatness that should appeal to Seattle.

If we are moving back into round 2, I would think his name would be prominent in our pocket of talent we are looking at there. And while we typically give Coleman a pass for bad surrounding talent, Matthews has been producing as a lone receiving talent against the best competition in college and he does so very consistently. He is a player who I can easily see being much better at the next level and very likely to develop into a productive pro.

He fights for balls and that seems to be a common trait amongst all the receivers that earn snaps for this team.

OP
OP
SeahawksFanForever

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
kearly":29gpe4nd said:
Not to overhype the guy or anything, but Matthews oozes "Seahawkiness" in every way. The interviews, his redline size and skillset, even the way he fights after the catch is very reminiscent of our receivers.

This is exactly why I brought him up. He just seems so "Seahawky" in every way. He already approaches the game and sounds like one of our players. I am not sure if he is good enough to select at #32 spot but I definitely would not be against selecting him in 2nd round if he is still there. I highly doubt that though.

kearly

Reaction score
He reminds me a lot of Aaron Dobson, who went #59 overall last year.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2y9gkv7x said:
I really liked Dobson last year. Early on wanted him in the 4th then his stock rose and wanted him in the 3rd. If i remember right Kearly you were not a huge fan of his. What do yo see similar and different between these two?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":15dmhn0j said:

Overall, I'm a big fan. In a draft without a class of receivers like this year's I'd place him higher on the draft board, but I don't see him ever developing into a true #1 receiver compared to the other "upside" players in the draft. At worse, he's a solid #2 with a chance to be a Sidney Rice-type receiver who's more a 1b than 1a. If he's there at #64, I'm running to the podium because I think he has the talent to develop into a playmaker for Wilson, despite his lack of [elite] speed and size.

Do we really need a true #1 WR with this offense ? We need a guy with size that can win jump balls easier than Tate (Tate does damned good, but bigger is more reliable in that situation), good hands and can block downfield. When you're 6'3", if you run good routes, you don't have to have elite speed. Play action with the threat of a real run game also adds a step to WRs.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":3koa8lty said:
Recon_Hawk":3koa8lty said:

Do we really need a true #1 WR with this offense ? We need a guy with size that can win jump balls easier than Tate (Tate does damned good, but bigger is more reliable in that situation), good hands and can block downfield. When you're 6'3", if you run good routes, you don't have to have elite speed. Play action with the threat of a real run game also adds a step to WRs.

They don't need a #1, but it always helps to have one :lol: Even in an offense that spreads the ball around like Seattle the receivers will get there chances to make plays. The true #1 guys tend to make the most of their limited opportunities. Harvin comes to mind.

IMO, with Harvin and possibly Tate, they have enough speed on the field. What they are missing is a receiver who is physical and can work the sideline, but also work in traffic over the middle of the field like a boss, break tackles...basically intimidate the defense a bit with size and quickness. J. Matthews would fit in great here, but guys like K. Benjamin, A. Robinson, and even D. Adams do that better.

Throwdown

Reaction score
He stole my heart the moment he caught a ball in a bowl game this year, lowered his shoulder, and bucked the DB for a first down.

kearly

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2mpsiskk said:
kearly":2mpsiskk said:
I really liked Dobson last year. Early on wanted him in the 4th then his stock rose and wanted him in the 3rd. If i remember right Kearly you were not a huge fan of his. What do yo see similar and different between these two?

Matthews has almost identical size, speed and body language. Works hard after the catch but other times is a bit soft. I like Mathews a little more than Dobson because of the effort after the catch and the concentration he has to make 1 handed grabs, plus his intangibles stand out. I thought Dobson was pretty much the definition of "dime a dozen" which is why I didn't like him as a high pick. Dobson just seemed exactly like the kind of WRs Seattle has brought in out of UDFA every year.

With Matthews, I don't think I'd feel great about drafting him over a guy like Brandon Coleman or even Jared Abbrederis, but for the right price I think he'd be a nice addition.