WR Prospects after the 3rd Round

aawolf

Reaction score
I don' think we draft a WR in the first or second round as there are way to many needs on OL and other positions. If I were a general manager, I would usually always shy away at drafting a RB or WR in the first two rounds because of the success of finding these prospects later on in a draft. Big bodies on the OL and DL with quick feet, explosiveness, and strength are much more rare commodities than fast guys with good hands (this is an over-generalization, of course). Except for the times when a pick is a pro-bowl level talent, I would typically shy away from drafting a WR or RB, as the guys in the late rounds can be just as good.

With that said, third round and beyond is where you can find great value at WR, especially this year. Here are a few WR prospects that could meet our needs, which have grades of Round 3 or more according to nfldraftscout.com

1. Cody Hoffman, BYU, proj. Rounds 6-7

This guy is currently my sleeper of the draft. In 2012, he had 100 catches. Injuries and inconsistency at QB dropped his numbers significantly in 2013, but he's a 6-5 guy with 4.5 speed. Some of you may recall, in the Bowl Game with Washington, he had 167 yards. He's well worth a late round look and can be just as productive as those guys projected in the first or second round.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSGHyipXbtc[/youtube]

2. Brandon Coleman, Rutgers, Proj. Round 3-4

Kearly has mentioned him and I won't rehash what has been said or show his highlights. Great get in the 3rd if we can land him, despite questionable college production.

3. Martavius Bryant, Clemson, Proj. Round 2-3

If this guy is available in round 3, I'd take him over anyone. At 6-4 with 4.3 speed and great hands, the only reason he's not a first round grade is that he's played behind Hopkins and Watkins in Clemson's offense. He has great skills and likely will be out of reach in the third round after the combine. I like him so much, though, that I've added him as a current 3rd round opportunity.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBY_lsCjCT4[/youtube]

4. Jeff Janis, Saginaw Valley State, Proj. Round 5-6

If you want a possession receiver ala Baldwin, look no further than this dude. He is somewhat undersized at 6-2, but has 4.4 speed. One of those small school sleepers that had 106 catches, over 1500 yards, and 17 TDs in 2013. Remember, Jerry Rice came out of Missisipy Valley State.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dNdDnMNvi4[/youtube]

5. Michael Campenaro, Wake Forest, Proj. Round 5-6

This guy is underrated and I know from my experience as a Wolfpack fan. If Wake needed a first down, they went to this guy. He catches everything in site and has a knack for getting open at the right time. Again, he's more of a possession receiver in that he's not necessarily a deep threat or YAC guy, but someone to keep the chains moving as a slot receiver. Here is a highlight on one of the smack-downs he put on NC State.

[youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKOziqfmFhk][/youtube]

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Don't forget about Cody Latimer. He's got good size at 6'3 215.

[youtube]2GsDaZOK4_M[/youtube]

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
What about Devin Street? 6,3 (listed 6,4 in some places) really long arms, solid catcher of the ball and played in the slot for Pittsburgh. Good route runner who got a third of Pittsburghs receiving yards last year. Not a burner but not slow. He could be had in the 4th/5th, and although he is a little light, I would be happy taking him.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3859js6u said:

I like his physicality, blocking, and willingness to make plays over the middle.

Looks like a Seahawk to me.

OP
OP
aawolf

aawolf

Reaction score
hawknation2014":382idrux said:
[youtube]Cabv2Rw7POI[/youtube]

Next Calvin Johnson?

Yeah, again, no way this guy falls to third round after the combine.

OP
OP
aawolf

aawolf

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2csc4qlz said:

He didn't really stand out to me as a "steal" as much as the others. I could be persuaded though.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
aawolf":3admi9ox said:
EverydayImRusselin":3admi9ox said:

He didn't really stand out to me as a "steal" as much as the others. I could be persuaded though.

I've seen him graded between 5th-7th. I'd be okay with grabbing him in that range.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
aawolf":24gwgsxc said:

If this guy is available in round 3, I'd take him over anyone. At 6-4 with 4.3 speed and great hands, the only reason he's not a first round grade is that he's played behind Hopkins and Watkins in Clemson's offense. He has great skills and likely will be out of reach in the third round after the combine. I like him so much, though, that I've added him as a current 3rd round opportunity.

His stock is going up after the combine especially if he shows up a little heavier without losing his speed.

randomation

Reaction score
If Abby somehow has a bad combine he might fall to 4th but I expect him to push into 2nd honestly.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1wbru6ro said:
[youtube]Cabv2Rw7POI[/youtube]

Next Calvin Johnson?

Big and quick does not equal Calvin Johnson.

I love Bryant, but comparing him to Calvin Johnson is like comparing Rosie O'Donnell to Mila Kunis.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2a7db9gb said:
What about Devin Street? 6,3 (listed 6,4 in some places) really long arms, solid catcher of the ball and played in the slot for Pittsburgh. Good route runner who got a third of Pittsburghs receiving yards last year. Not a burner but not slow. He could be had in the 4th/5th, and although he is a little light, I would be happy taking him.

And here's the tape...

[youtube]vaAgtNWewh8[/youtube]

OP
OP
aawolf

aawolf

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":31fs9ybw said:
SomersetHawk":31fs9ybw said:

And here's the tape...

[youtube]vaAgtNWewh8[/youtube]

Seems like another awesome prospect, but he's been injured throughout the last part of the season. If he's healthy, I'd jump at drafting him in the 4th. Just goes to show, like I said, that gems with first round talent and measurable can be found in later rounds.

ivotuk

Reaction score

From what little I know about the guy, I'm really impressed. He has had to play behind 2 (imaho) elite receivers in Sammy Watkins DeAndre Hopkins. would be nice if he made it to our 3rd pick. But this draft is so loaded I think EVERY team is going to have a decent to excellent draft, well except for Belicheck who will once again over think it. :p

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
There are rumors out there that Bryant might run 4.3 40. If that happens then his stock is going up like crazy and hopefully he is not the next Stephen Hill since most of the scouts are comparing him to Hill.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Keep in mind that Seattle doesn't have a 3rd unless they trade down from one of their first two picks. So, if you want to go OL/DL in Rounds 1-2 (not necessarily a bad idea IMO), then you have to wait until at least Rd. 4 to look at WRs.

That being said, it would surprise no one if JS trades down from either #32 or #64 to get more picks.

kearly

Reaction score
Very impressed by Street and Bryant. They definitely look like guys who will be playing on Sundays.

Street reminds me of DJ Hackett. I think Hackett would have been a perennial 1000 yard guy if he had been healthy.

In the current NFL I'd compare Street to Baltimore's Marlon Brown.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
There are several to choose from.

Hoffman and Latimer to me feel like they are really good R4/R5 candidates. I think of all the day 3 guys, Latimer is my favorite. Physical blocker, good speed, poor rounded routes, good hands and fights for the ball. Quick to make moves once ball is in his hands. Good shiftiness and ability to break/elude tackles on his curl routes. Indicates good burst and balance. His release off the line is similarly crisp and quick. I'd expect his short splits to be pretty good.

Bryant, if he ends up testing like rumored, will not be available to us unless we are trading around. He could be gone by our R2 pick if a team falls in love with his combine numbers. Overall, I'm mixed on him. He blossomed late so there is very little to really go on with him. His early year tape is pretty crappy really. He does not play up to his 6'5" frame at that point. Although late in the year, he did. I feel his late year tape is good, but it has to be viewed with the caveat that Watkins was commanding the defenses flow. Street/Latimer and even Matthews were #1 guys. I would have expected a #2 to dominate more with his gifts. If you believe the tape doesn't lie, then you're left with deciding which tape is telling the truth.

Enunwa is a late round option. He could be another Chris Harper though. We won't have to spend a 4th rounder to find out. Worthy late 5th to late 6th round flyer. Enunwa plays with a lot of power. Not sure I see him breaking free from NFL secondaries much but I do see him punishing them for their effort. Punishing blocker at the WR level. Better in my opinion than Harper was last year.

I've liked Devin Street for a while. Very good R4 candidate. He gets knocked for his skinny frame, but he still manages to play plenty physical. Good receiving skills and can pluck high balls away from his body. Tracks the ball well. Plays the 50-50 ball well. Smooth and quick out of his breaks -- unusually so for such a tall receiver. Good flexibility. Gets his butt down to create sharp breaks, indicating good hip flexibility. Should be able to develop well as a route runner at the next level.

Very interesting comparison to Hackett. I couldn't recall him when I watched Street but I do see the resemblance in style.

One I've kind of coveted as a 7th round flyer is Alex Amidon out of BC. He is a slot guy though so not likely we'd pick him up. But his release and speed off the line is really sudden and alarming. He really flies out of his stance almost immediately. Very quick and shifty. His hands aren't poor but not great either. He really strikes me from a route running standpoint as a Wes Welker/Doug Baldwin type quick twitch receiver. Should Baldwin get tendered but signed by another team -- I could see Amidon being a suitable replacement.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I see a bit of something I like in Robert Herron ever since watching him practice well at the Senior Bowl. The initial measurements dont make him stand out but I think he has something. He seems to be somewhere in between Harvin and Tate but obviously nowhere near as polished. I'm honestly not sure where he will go.

[youtube]ApdgeabiM_4[/youtube]