Jordan Matthews

pcbball12

Reaction score
I feel like he is being lost in the shuffle a little bit. But he just had a very solid combine performance . 4.4 40 and is 6'3 with very long arms and the biggest hands in the draft. I for one, love what I see on film. He is not a perfect prospect and has struggled with drops at times, but he flashes true potential number 1 receiver to me. All of this and add in the rumored tremendous work ethic and being "pissed off for greatness", he just screams Seattle to me. You can have Bryant or Coleman, ill put my money on Matthews.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
yeah is 40 time really clashed with talk of inability to separate during Senior Bowl week. I think he was viewed as a 2nd round pick but his 40 time and plus dimensions could move him to the back of round 1.

skater18000

Reaction score
TheWebHead":3lsm54yf said:
yeah is 40 time really clashed with talk of inability to separate during Senior Bowl week. I think he was viewed as a 2nd round pick but his 40 time and plus dimensions could move him to the back of round 1.

Not in this draft. I'm saying his best shot is for a team to take him in thend of the second (Patriots, Broncos, 49ers etc)

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Didn't get a good look at him today. NFL Network was in a commercial for nearly all of his turns at the on the field drills. And when they weren't, he was not shown because Rich Eisen called for a replay of a Marquise Lee catch.

I don't quite get NFL Network's coverage. We don't need to see Eisen or Mayock or Billick when they're talking. At the very least, give us a split screen showing all the action on the field.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He killed the combine in my estimation.

Going in, he was seen as a very productive guy, but not a candidate for split end. The knock on him being, he struggled to create separation.

I personally never agreed with that estimation. On tape, you see he uses a variety of methods to get clean separation. Speed, crisp route running and high point ability.

The combine really more confirms that estimation and casts serious doubt on the concerns about his ability to separate. He has 6'3" legit height -- a half inch shorter than the supposed 6'5" Martavious Bryant. At 6'3", that puts him in the X receiver conversation.

His reach is 33 1/4"+. That a plus measurement for a receiver. And it also confirms his legitimate ability to get after high throws. His height and length are superb.

His hand size at 10.25 is outstanding. Matthews has demonstrated outstanding hands, and snatches the ball cleanly from the air. Hand size like that also indicates a strong ability to secure catches from strip attempts by CBs in the NFL after the catch (think Kearse's stripped TD in the Super Bowl)

Matthews really has been in the top third of the tier 2 WR group throughout the process. An early marginal 1st round WR but expected to come to earth by having a mediocre combine and measurables that were expected to confirm his doubts. Instead Matthews measured out exactly the opposite by virtually every metric and drill they worked him through.

There will certainly be some who aren't convinced. Electing to stand on their original assessment of him. I've been a big fan of his for awhile, and I'm going to admit this combine was WAY more than I could have hoped for his draft status. I see a very savvy/smart player who understands how to perfect his craft. Understands how to employ the little things to make a difference at the next level. I see a prospect who physically is everything you want from an X receiver. Size, agility, length, speed. I see a prospect who has the right kind of mind to improve. Like Sherman, Thomas, Wilson that we have on our team already. A guy who will have the dedication needed to excel at the intelligence part of the game. In this aspect, I think he's the best in this entire class. But not being privvy to his interview process -- I am not in a position to make an authoritative position on that.

I do think, that he's a prospect who will be attractive for Seattle. They value those kinds of traits highly. I think if they had concerns about him physically as a suitable prospect -- the combine will have washed those concerns away. Is he a physical freak talent? No. And that is something we desire. But he is well above average.

I don't expect us to really go after him in R1. Which means I don't think he'll be a Hawk. There aren't any TE prospects who will be physically exceptional. But there are OL talent who really are exceptional prospects. The freak value is in that group right now. I really expect us to go that route if we continue to abide by the pattern we have established in our drafts to date.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
skater18000":29tmewfw said:
TheWebHead":29tmewfw said:

Not in this draft. I'm saying his best shot is for a team to take him in thend of the second (Patriots, Broncos, 49ers etc)

Get on a computer. You can toggle through their A and B camera sets. No commercials. Can toggle to live action pretty much at will. When Eisen/Mayock go into their fluff, you can switch it to live action or the Charles Davis/Jeremiah//Billick crew. Billick is bleah but Davis and Jeremiah are good.

OP
OP
P

pcbball12

Reaction score
Attyla I agree on all accounts. I read numerous times that he could not separate and was not a great athlete, but that just was not matching up with what I was seeing on film. He showed the ability to beat press in a number of ways, and also showed ability to run after the catch with great acceleration.

He may or may not be a Hawk, but I could legitimately see a possibility where we take him with our pick in the first, or (if there is a suitor) trade down and take him top half of round two. I could see a scenario where they like him so much and want to trade down and take him top of round two but can't find a suitor so take him with their original pick because they don't want to lose him. Some would be a little shocked, but that is your typical Seahawks pick IMO and I would be totally stoked if that were the case.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Would be a good WR for R. Wilson to grow with. Jordan Mathews is a hard worker and a student of the game so his commitment would never be in question. Also is related to Jerry Rice NFL bloodlines mean something in my book.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I hope we get this guy or that he doesn't play in the division.

To me he's a natural fit for RW and an answer for the big WR the team has been looking for.

Agree with all the above. BTW, you can search the NFL network coverage and watch his 40 and his workout.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
They are definitely not the same player on tape otherwise we would be talking about Matthews being the best WR in this class. We talk a lot about measurables and athleticism on this board since we all want a true #1 receiver so I am just comparing the size and the speed, not their game.

Look at the following numbers and see how similar they are:

WR Jordan Matthews
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 212
Arm Length: 33¼"
Hand Size: 10⅜"
40 Yard Dash: 4.46
Bench Press: 21
Vertical Jump: 35½"
Broad Jump: 120"
3 Cone Drill: 6.95
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.18
60 Yard Shuttle: 11.84

WR Larry Fitzgerald
Height: 6' 2⅞"
Weight: 225
Hand Size: 10½"
40 Yard Dash: 4.48
Vertical Jump: 38"
3 Cone Drill: 6.94
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.28

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd be in for Matthews.

My WR wish list
1. Mike Evans
2. Kelvin Benjamin
3. Jordan Matthews
4. Donte Moncrief
5. Allen Robinson

General Manager

Reaction score
I've watched the film and the combine of this group of WR's and you can put me on the list for Matthews at 32. Beckham or Moncrief would be my alternate if available and Matthews is gone.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
My film studies say this guy is average and can't separate. No thanks....we have plenty of WRs that don't separate already.

Subzero717

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1pqa5sd4 said:
My film studies say this guy is average and can't separate. No thanks....we have plenty of WRs that don't separate already.

You've got to be kidding me?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I don't like him at #32, but a little later I'd be very happy, with all the WR talent it seems like we could get a great one at #64, but if PC&JS really had their eye on someone we know they aren't afraid to pull the trigger.

jake206

Reaction score
I know the draft is a couple weeks away. But I want the Seahawks to pick this guy to replace Tate. He is a diamond in the rough... chip on shoulder. Also being related to Jerry Rice doesn't hurt. If he goes to the Pats or 49ers, I will be very unhappy. Schneider draft him!!!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
jake206":2nta1vze said:
I know the draft is a couple weeks away. But I want the Seahawks to pick this guy to replace Tate. He is a diamond in the rough... chip on shoulder. Also being related to Jerry Rice doesn't hurt. If he goes to the Pats, I will be very unhappy. Schneider draft him!!!
Explain the "chip on the shoulder" comment....I'm curious why you say that.

jake206

Reaction score
Some Jordan Matthews quotes...

"It wasn’t that big of a deal,” he said before heading back to Nashville to continue training for the NFL Draft on May 8-10. “People that really watched my games at Vanderbilt and watched the film, the ones that really studied me, they know how fast I am.

“It has been a blessing. A lot of people would have said I shouldn’t be here, a two-star recruit out of Madison, Alabama, a private Christian (high) school and no one had ever gone Division I from that school before,” Matthews said. “A lot of people said I should focus on playing basketball or do something else or go to Vanderbilt and get your Economics degree and go on Wall Street and work with stocks and bonds. But God had a different plan for my life. It is just a blessing and I am just trying to make the most of it.”

This guy is out to prove something.