Big WR's we should look closer at

QuahHawk

Reaction score
There are a lot of options in this draft that could compete to fill Rice’s Flanker (Z) position. I’m not sure how high we will draft a WR but I think our 2nd round pick would be a great place to grab Mathews or Robinson if still around, otherwise we should take a flyer on one of the more raw prospects like Bryant or Coleman in the 4th or later.

Kelvin Benjamin 6’5 240lbs 4.61(40) 32.5(vert)
Jordan Mathews 6’3 212lbs 4.46(40) 35.5(vert)
Allen Robinson 6’2 220lbs 4.60(40) 39(vert)
Davante Adams 6’1 212lbs 4.56(40) 39.5(vert)
Donte Moncrief 6’2 221lbs 4.40(40) 39.5(vert)
Martavis Bryant 6’4 211lbs 4.42(40) 39(vert)
Brandon Coleman 6’6 225 4.56(40) 32.5(vert)
Jeff Janis 6’3 219lbs 4.42(40) 37.5(vert)
Devin Street 6’3 198lbs 4.55(40) 37(vert)
Cody Hoffman 6’4 223lbs 4.65(40) 27.5(vert)
*Quincey Enunwa 6'2 225lbs 4.45(40)

*added for Attyla the Hawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I don't think Bryant or Coleman make it to the 4th. Real shame we don't have a 3rd this year.

I'd like Devin Street, big guy who's a smooth runner (played in the slot at Pitt). He'll be there in the 4th.

Still intrigued by Bryant though, but I think he's much more of a project than some other guys we'd have to take early. I'd be happy with Allen Robinson at the end of the second, not that it'll happen.

titan3131

Reaction score
Martavus is the best physical presence out of all of these. All the other tall guys verticals are lacking.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Thought Matthews looked great today. Would be a nice second round pick.

I think Allen, Moncrief, Coleman would also be solid picks at our 2nd. Whichever one is there.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Add Enunwa to the list. Good size and ran much faster than expected. 4.45 official is blazing fast. Enunwa plays like Kam Chancellor at WR. Dude is incredibly physical. I'd say he plays like Boldin.

JKent82

Reaction score
titan3131":163arx22 said:
Martavus is the best physical presence out of all of these. All the other tall guys verticals are lacking.

Well speaking of physical presence he's also the lightest by quite a ways. I'd be surprised if we draft him considering how set PCJS have been on a big/thick physical WR.

Bummed that Jordan Mathews probably ran himself out of the #32 range but good for him, and wow Cody Hoffman is lacking hops.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jordan Matthews has done a very solid job in this combine, big, strong, & fast. As well he has a fine body of work that he can show for his college years in the SEC.

Bryant and Coleman are also looking very solid and may also be around @ pick #32.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Jim Wyatt ‏@jwyattsports 56m
#Vanderbilt WR Jordan Matthews had official interviews with Jets, Ravens, Lions, Seahawks & Redskins in Indy. Talked with #Titans at Sr Bowl

cesame

Reaction score
I correctly predicted that Keenan Allen was a guy to look out for last year. He got a lot of hate, but I never forgot the way he dominated Oregon in a game a few years back. I saw the talent. Keenan Allen had a very productive rookie season.

This leads me to this year. I think Paul Richardson is the guy to look out for. He really stood out against Oregon this year.

Over the past several years there's a list of guys who've burned Oregon, which is saying something because Oregon has produced a good amount of secondary players in the NFL as of late.

These receivers include

DeSean Jackson
Dez Bryant
Rob Gronkowski
Keenan Allen

Stand out against Oregon, good chance you're a NFL talent.

And when I say stand out, I don't just mean x number of receptions and yards. I'm talking about guys who are continually beating Oregon' corners all game and creating lots of space.

McGruff

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2i15zogi said:
I don't think Bryant or Coleman make it to the 4th. Real shame we don't have a 3rd this year.

I'd like Devin Street, big guy who's a smooth runner (played in the slot at Pitt). He'll be there in the 4th.

Still intrigued by Bryant though, but I think he's much more of a project than some other guys we'd have to take early. I'd be happy with Allen Robinson at the end of the second, not that it'll happen.

Bryant is a guy to go back and watch film. Good height, long arms, fantastic vertical.

He reminds me a bit of Justin Hunter last year . . . length on length on length.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
This is the year we need to invest in a big WR. There is no way we are keeping Tate and Baldwin both longterm. If we don't resign Tate we will really need a WR, if we do we still will need one to replace Baldwin next year.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
cesame":wupcmq0v said:
I correctly predicted that Keenan Allen was a guy to look out for last year. He got a lot of hate, but I never forgot the way he dominated Oregon in a game a few years back. I saw the talent. Keenan Allen had a very productive rookie season.

This leads me to this year. I think Paul Richardson is the guy to look out for. He really stood out against Oregon this year.

Over the past several years there's a list of guys who've burned Oregon, which is saying something because Oregon has produced a good amount of secondary players in the NFL as of late.

These receivers include

DeSean Jackson
Dez Bryant
Rob Gronkowski
Keenan Allen

Stand out against Oregon, good chance you're a NFL talent.

And when I say stand out, I don't just mean x number of receptions and yards. I'm talking about guys who are continually beating Oregon' corners all game and creating lots of space.

Marqise Lee also burned Oregon in 2011. 8 receptions for 187 yards (23.4 yards per reception) and made Troy Hill look silly on his 59-yard TD:

[youtube]j-I9cny_4ac[/youtube]

He followed that up with 12 receptions for 157 yards and 2 TDs in 2012.

TheTruth

Reaction score
If Lee is there at 32 I would love to take him. I don't care that he's not 6 ft. Dude is a warrior.

Happy

Reaction score
moncrief has been slaying it at the combine.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Happy":204gah9h said:
moncrief has been slaying it at the combine.

I think Moncrief is very underrated at the moment, he seems to be able to get good separation and make catches in traffic. He had great games against top talent in the SEC and has beaten CB's who are now playing in the NFL. His catch at the 2:00 mark was very Jermain Kearse-ish and the next 3 or 4 after that were all well contested but still snatched the ball and stayed on his feet.

[youtube]XpOHRPmhErw[/youtube]

Freshman-31 Rec 454 Yds 14.6 Avg 4 TD's
Sophomore- 66 Rec 979 Yds 14.8 Avg 10 TD's
Junior- 59 Rec 938 Yds 15.9 Avg 6 TD's

Considering there was not much talent surrounding him at Ole Miss I think this speaks volumes how he double consistently and was still able to step up in his teams biggest games. 3 of his best games came against Auburn, LSU, and Missouri all very good defensive teams, then in his bowl game vs Ga Tech he had another outstanding game. This guy is a legit #1 in the NFL and I'd love to grab him with our 2nd but I think he could go early 2nd round or even late 1st. Put him out wide on a team that has Harvin, Lynch, and Wilson and teams can't even put their best DB on him much less double him up.

Rob Rang had this to say

"He is sudden in his breaks, showing the ability to generate separation even against tight man coverage, and accelerates quickly, often leaving defenders in his dust on double-moves. Moncrief tracks the ball well and generally shows excellent hands (one drop vs. Texas), as well as the body control to make the dazzling grab. Moncrief is also cognizant in the running game, showing awareness and toughness as a downfield blocker"

"Moncrief was not caught from behind on tapes viewed but the big-bodied receiver may not possess elite timed speed."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... e-moncrief

I think at 4.40 (40) at 6'2 221lbs with a 39.5(vert), produced in the SEC when surround by a weak team, plus he can run block. SOunds like a Seahawk to me, the more I read about this guy the more I'd prepared for us to spend a 1st on him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I never watched any full Ole Miss games this year but would occasionally switch over to one and it seemed ever time I did, I heard "Moncrief...." in that he was always doing something worth mentioning.

He seems to me to be one of those guys that has had to bust his ass for any success and has earned it every year. Quick, someone name his QB at Ole Miss in each year! How about naming any player on the Ole Miss team :D

I like this guy and think he will kick ass in the NFL. It's the players who face adversity early in their career yet still succeed that will make it in the NFL, and that I hope we draft.

As my coworker who is a Chargers fan can attest, I loved Keenan Allen last year too but was still surprised at how well he played. Good for him after all he has had to overcome.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
There will be plenty of WR's who get drafted before him and i'd say that will add to that chip on his should type attitude. He is not as physically gifted as guy's like Bryant and Coleman, but will probably establish himself as a #1 NFL WR faster than either Jordan Mathews or Allen Robinson.

• NFLDraftscout.com WR rankings
    1.Sammy Watkins
    2.Mike Evans
    3.Marqise Lee
    4.Kelvin Benjamin
    5.Odell Beckham Jr.
    6.Allen Robinson
    7.Brandin Cooks
    8.Jordan Matthews
    9.Jarvis Landry
    10.Davante Adams
    12.Martavis Bryant
    15.Donte Moncrief
    20.Brandon Coleman

• Draftcountdown.com WR rankings
    1.Watkins
    2.Evans
    3.Lee
    4.Benjamin
    5.Cooks
    6.Adams
    7.Beckham
    8.Landry
    9.Moncrief
    10.Robinson
    11.Matthews
    13.Coleman
    17.Bryant

• CBSSports.com WR Rankings
    1.Watkins
    2.Evans
    3.Lee
    4.Benjamin
    5.Beckham
    6.Robinson
    7.Cooks
    8.Matthews
    9.Landry
    10.Adams
    12.Bryant
    15.Moncrief
    22.Coleman

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'll have to revisit him. I remember not being that impressed by his tape early on. And I kind of stopped watching him in the process of watching others.

His combine scores merit further looks.

While I don't currently think he's that high quality -- should Seattle take him I'll assume he's one of the best of the class. Obviously his test results should tickle our FO's spidey sense.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2hyopuk1 said:
I'll have to revisit him. I remember not being that impressed by his tape early on. And I kind of stopped watching him in the process of watching others.

His combine scores merit further looks.

While I don't currently think he's that high quality -- should Seattle take him I'll assume he's one of the best of the class. Obviously his test results should tickle our FO's spidey sense.
I think his qb play really hurt his numbers. Put him with a good QB and he's a surefire 1st. I'd love to hear you further in depth review of him.

Latest posts