Mike Evans would you?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I would trade our first this year and next maybe even our second as well to move up and get him. He is that good. I believe he is the best receiver in the draft. Just incredible agility and speed to go along with those LONG arms 6-5 frame and good hands. He is going to be a monster in this league. Another Calvin Johnson imo.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
I'd rather move up for Aaron Donald. But I agree, Evans is really good.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Evans fills the role we're currently lacking and looks like a lock to be a stud. He seems like a top 10 pick now though, and I don't think we want to give up enough to move that high.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade up for Evans.

This draft is ridiculously deep with WRs.

If Pete and John want a WR, we'll get a real good one.

I like Moncrief, Lee, Matthews, Street and Abbrederis.

Lee will likely be gone by #32 but the others should all be available.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I don't agree, Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins are both clearly a cut above the rest. Real difference makers that will be immediate impact guys who most likely will be all pro type receivers. There are others with potential but those two are truly elite

aawolf

Reaction score
I don't get all this doom-and-gloom talk about our receiving corps. I'd do such a thing, maybe, for Aaron Donald, but not for a WR given our immediate needs. If we lock up Tate and/or Baldwin and we already have Percy Harvin, I'm not sure wasting so many draft picks are a good idea given our needs at OT (did you see how horrible our O-line was with Unger's injury?) and DL (we are losing Red and possibly Clemons and have to work to keep Bennett).

I could see teams like the Panthers, who are in desperate need of WR help, doing something like this. However, they have lots of needs given their free agents, so they probably wouldn't give up draft picks either.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I see Donald as a potential trade up prospect. Pass rush is always a priority for us. Quality and impact would merit moving up.

Evans I think tested his way too far up in the draft. Additionally, this team is a run heavy/defensive team. Receiver quality is going to be less impactful for us. We have to know what kind of team we are when projecting these kinds of moves.

In terms of functional value coupled with available alternatives -- Donald really stands alone in his class. Evans is the best of a large cadre of quality 6'3"+ X receivers.

I don't expect us to trade up for either. And truthfully, we don't have a good handle on our team needs until after the UFA period shakes out. If we lose two of the three WRs (Rice/Tate/Baldwin), then WR all of a sudden becomes a real need for us. We are better equipped to lose Clemons/Bryant as we are deep at DL already with some additional competitive depth returning (Jordan Hill, Jesse Williams and Greg Scruggs).

This is a really interesting draft for us. There are so many ways we could add to this team.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Guys I'd trade up for (and I'm talking late teens, early 20s if available):

Aaron Donald
Mike Evans
Odell Beckham Jr.
Taylor Lewan

Those are the only 4 that I'd mortgage picks for as I feel confident that all of them not only fit the mold of this team, but I believe these guys are going to be bonafide NFL players. I think all are gone by pick 18.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Can't really see it happening if you retain Tate, which looks a lot more realistic now with the new cap projection. How much is a drafted WR even going to play behind Harvin/Tate/Baldwin/Kearse? Maybe he plays a lot, but then you're just diminishing the returns of another good receiver. If you couple this proposed transaction with the Harvin deal last year, then suddenly you've burned a ton of capital on just two WRs. I'm at the point where I'm not even sure it's worth taking one at #32; forget trading up!

Trading up for a can't-miss DL prospect is a different story.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I am not nearly as high on KB as Evans but if he is there for the taking at 32 (excluding Aaron sitting there as well) I would jump on it. I wouldn't trade up for him though.

nyc-seahawk

Reaction score
No! Giving up the farm for an individual player, especially a receiver is a horrible idea. (redskins, falcons, colts...ect

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":38yxgp2f said:
Can't really see it happening if you retain Tate, which looks a lot more realistic now with the new cap projection. How much is a drafted WR even going to play behind Harvin/Tate/Baldwin/Kearse? Maybe he plays a lot, but then you're just diminishing the returns of another good receiver. If you couple this proposed transaction with the Harvin deal last year, then suddenly you've burned a ton of capital on just two WRs. I'm at the point where I'm not even sure it's worth taking one at #32; forget trading up!

Trading up for a can't-miss DL prospect is a different story.

I'm starting to lean this way too. Unless a big-time receiver high on their board is there at 32, the receivers on the roster (counting Tate) have shown they can do play without a first round pick and still win. The WR depth is good enough that unless KB is sitting there I hope they look to fix other positions.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
No way I'd surrender major draft capital for Evans or anyone in this draft. We already lost 9 cheap years of possible productive rookie contract when we traded a 1st and 3rd for Harvin, not to mention a contract that's at the least going to make it hard to keep our secondary intact.

I might trade players for better draft position, but wouldn't lose draft picks for anyone else unless we want to witness the debacle in DC first hand.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd do a Julio Jones type trade for Evans, no issues there. The fact that Seattle used one of their combine interviews on Evans indicates that this is something they are at least mulling over, and they should. You might get a little more "moneyball" value from keeping the picks, but freakish redline receivers like Evans are far from a dime a dozen. Seattle has been trying to get one cheap for years and hasn't even come close to succeeding.

As much as I like Donald, I would much rather keep the picks and just pay Bennett. Bennett is vastly superior on running downs and can play outside at a very high level too. Donald will only play inside and might not be on the field on run downs. Really good player, but also really limited, like a DT version of Bruce Irvin a couple years ago.

aawolf":1h8j7jjf said:
I don't get all this doom-and-gloom talk about our receiving corps.

Nobody here thinks our WRs suck. We do however have an OC who either runs the ball or has play action on something like 85% of all plays, making him the most predictable playcaller in the NFL. Non-terrible defenses started to punish Seattle for this tendency late in the season. The only cure, other than firing Bevell, is to make defenses fear our receivers and back off in the front seven. That's why Percy Harvin is such a big deal. But can you count on Harvin to play as many as 20 games? You need another guy to strike fear into defenses on those deep sideline routes.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Agreed Kearly, our offense struggled at times because of receivers lack of ability to separate when getting man coverage. Had we had a player like Rice or Harvin I'm not sure they get away with it but like you said you can't count on having Harvin around and Rice is gone as well for the same reason. Not only that but Pete quite clearly wants that tall athletic receiver in his arsenal. Evans is SPECIAL!!!! I say go get him if possible.

randomation

Reaction score
Would likely take even more then the falcons traded for jones to move up to 10 or so and get evans and you really couldn't do it before the draft or else you could move up and have both evans and watkins off the board. Evans would be amazing but it would likely take literally the whole draft of picks and then some to get him.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
randomation":1e0jjbrt said:
Would likely take even more then the falcons traded for jones to move up to 10 or so and get evans and you really couldn't do it before the draft or else you could move up and have both evans and watkins off the board. Evans would be amazing but it would likely take literally the whole draft of picks and then some to get him.
The Falcons traded from the 27 spot up to the 6th. The Seahawks would trade from the thirty second pick to arguably the tenth pick with the Lions. Plus this is being touted as a very deep draft so someone might value later picks a little higher than normal. I don't think it would take more at all. In fact it might take less.

Lynch'sLamborghini

Reaction score
kearly":frb1nqwy said:
As much as I like Donald, I would much rather keep the picks and just pay Bennett. Bennett is vastly superior on running downs and can play outside at a very high level too. Donald will only play inside and might not be on the field on run downs. Really good player, but also really limited, like a DT version of Bruce Irvin a couple years ago.

To this point - if the Hawks can't agree with Bennett, then not only will there be a marked increase in the number of people projecting a Seattle trade-up for one of the defensive talents on the board, but the price for actually doing so will likely go up. Particularly from an Atlanta, which probably figures it'll be seeing Seattle on the road to Super Bowl 49.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Have to say I'm torn.

Last year, plenty of us imagined trading the farm for Sheldon Richardson. And truth be told, he likely would have been worth that trade. The prospects where we were picking were very mundane. Ultimately we did trade it away -- for a difference maker who happened to be unavailable for almost the entire season. The value, at the time, was definitely in our favor. However the contract that followed really really hurt.

I would not wish to make a similarly costly trade up for Evans -- that's way too much stock in a position that doesn't coincide with our core identity. It's an ancillary piece. We've committed to Harvin and I think we have to stand on that.

Donald is a player, not unlike Richardson in terms of role fit. Richardson was the best pass rushing 3 tech. I would consider Donald to be a better player for that specific role, where Richardson doesn't have Donald's run fit liability. This is a defense first club. I can sit here imagining the awesome terror that Avril/Donald and Bennett could wreak on opposing offenses. So many rushers -- you'd have your choice of 1 on 1 matchups in that scenario.

And then I imagine what that kind of rush would do relative to our secondary. If they only have to cover for up to 2-3 seconds -- how stifling could our defense be? In terms of the whole, Donald could be a valuable piece of the puzzle.

This is a team that is already on the mountaintop. The challenge for this team is now to maintain quality across the board. To add talents so that we don't have to extend players who are good, but not great. This is a team built on breadth of talent. Good players everywhere and several rows deep.

Trading up really moves away from what we are as a team. It's quality built on players who don't leave us salivating with anticipation. Guys who we kind of shrug and go 'guess we'll see what he looks like in August'.

Seriously so many plausible scenarios are laid out before us. The team can go in any direction. Or multiple directions. I would say this: I wish we had a lot more picks, because in a deep draft I'm laying money on Seattle for getting the most productive players on day 2 and 3. Guys that don't excite in May but by the end of the year, you are hoping you can resign them when their time comes.

Natethegreat":155dap05 said:
randomation":155dap05 said:
The Falcons traded from the 27 spot up to the 6th. The Seahawks would trade from the thirty second pick to arguably the tenth pick with the Lions. Plus this is being touted as a very deep draft so someone might value later picks a little higher than normal. I don't think it would take more at all. In fact it might take less.

Agreed. There are a lot of teams in the early teens that have rather mundane needs. NYG/Pittsburgh/Baltimore. Those are all teams that really have needs that could be very adequately addressed at 32. Many of them projected to take players that now look generically available where we are picking.

I expect Donald's floor is pick 17 (Dallas) if he does make it that far, I don't see them passing on him. Their need for interior pass rush is very high.

Latest posts