Odell Beckham Jr finally getting props

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The guy was a top-20 talent all throughout 2013 -- and barely got any attention.

This is one of the major positives about the combine -- he's getting what he deserves now. Major praise and credit.

Not only is he a fantastic football player, he's a personable character -- comes off really well in interviews. Really grounded. Just a good guy.

On the field -- competes for the ball in the air, high points better than anyone in this class despite being only 5-11, HUGE hands, X-factor as a return man, great competitor who's up for the battle, makes the difficult grabs, top notch athlete.

My greatest fear is he ends up in San Francisco. Thankfully, there's every chance he'll be long gone as a top-17 pick.

Not surprised at all that Tony Pauline says Seattle loves this guy. If only we could get him.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Really like him. As others said in a different thread, he really looks like a Seahawks-type receiver. I guess it might be overkill on 5'11 guys, but how do you balance that against him being a better prospect than some taller WRs? I know this FO won't necessarily let great prospects pass them by due to redundancy alone (see: C-Mike, RW). Sounds like this won't even be a decision they'll get to make at #32 though.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
He reminds me a lot of Tate. Good leaping ability, elusive, and fast, but not a burner per se. His hands are incredible though(I would say maybe best hands in this class). He had some one handed catches that reminded me of Tates one hand touchdown catch he had this year. Do we need another Tate though?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'll pass unless we don't resign Tate, and intend to let Baldwin walk next year Beckham is not really filling a need, we simply do not have a #1/Flanker/Z receiver. We truly need a guy who Wilson can trust in jump ball situations, i can guess our offense was a little conservative became we did not have a big physical posession receiver for Wilson to bail him out.

Since Pete has been here he has brought in or looked hard at.

Vincent Jackson 6'5 230lbs
Brandon Marshall 6'4 230lbs
T.O 6'3 224lbs
Braylon Edwards 6'3 244lbs
Mike Williams 6'5 235lbs
Stephan Williams 6'5 208

Drafted
Kris Durham 6'6 220lbs
Chris Harper 6'1 230lbs

You could even look at the TEs we've looked to get
Kellen Winslow 6'4 240
Luke Willson 6'5 250
Evan Moore 6'6 250

Besides spending a 2nd on Golden Tate who i think they truely though could be similar to Harvin it seems obvious to me PC & JS want to bring in big targets.

Makes me think they would draft Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin in a heart beat, but I think they value size so much that we are going to see something happen this year to bolster our WR core and give Wilson a huge weapon he can learn to trust. We dont' need another talent <6'0 WR arguably we have the 3 most talented under 6'0 WR's int he league if we keep Tate and Baldwin.

kobebryant

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2c9zadbk said:
The guy was a top-20 talent all throughout 2013 -- and barely got any attention.

This is one of the major positives about the combine -- he's getting what he deserves now. Major praise and credit.

Not only is he a fantastic football player, he's a personable character -- comes off really well in interviews. Really grounded. Just a good guy.

On the field -- competes for the ball in the air, high points better than anyone in this class despite being only 5-11, HUGE hands, X-factor as a return man, great competitor who's up for the battle, makes the difficult grabs, top notch athlete.

My greatest fear is he ends up in San Francisco. Thankfully, there's every chance he'll be long gone as a top-17 pick.

Not surprised at all that Tony Pauline says Seattle loves this guy. If only we could get him.

Throw in top notch effort as a blocker and Golden Tate seems like an apt comparison.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
He came to my attention after reading Friday night lights where Odell Beckham Sr features as a top state RB. I think hell be a very good NFL player, just not on the Seahawks, and hopefully not the 9ers/Rams/Cards.

Largent80

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying we NEED a big guy for jump ball situations, but Rice went down early and we won the Superbowl without a tall WR.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Wenhawk":yewfh893 said:
I'll pass unless we don't resign Tate, and intend to let Baldwin walk next year Beckham is not really filling a need, we simply do not have a #1/Flanker/Z receiver. We truly need a guy who Wilson can trust in jump ball situations, i can guess our offense was a little conservative became we did not have a big physical posession receiver for Wilson to bail him out.

Since Pete has been here he has brought in or looked hard at.

Vincent Jackson 6'5 230lbs
Brandon Marshall 6'4 230lbs
T.O 6'3 224lbs
Braylon Edwards 6'3 244lbs
Mike Williams 6'5 235lbs
Stephan Williams 6'5 208

Drafted
Kris Durham 6'6 220lbs
Chris Harper 6'1 230lbs

You could even look at the TEs we've looked to get
Kellen Winslow 6'4 240
Luke Willson 6'5 250
Evan Moore 6'6 250

Besides spending a 2nd on Golden Tate who i think they truely though could be similar to Harvin it seems obvious to me PC & JS want to bring in big targets.

Makes me think they would draft Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin in a heart beat, but I think they value size so much that we are going to see something happen this year to bolster our WR core and give Wilson a huge weapon he can learn to trust. We dont' need another talent <6'0 WR arguably we have the 3 most talented under 6'0 WR's int he league if we keep Tate and Baldwin.
I said this in another. They have tried extremely hard to find that certain type of BIG WR since they have gotten here and so far have been pretty unsuccessful. I think with the type of WR this draft offers, they finally hit and the offense could be complete (which is just down right scary to think to about). I'm excited because I'm not sure we've seen the best this team and FO has to offer!

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
i think jordan matthews at #32 is probable with his 6'3" 215lbs. frame while running 4.4 40 but ofc it all depends on who departs via free agency. i believe this is the year they target a weapon at wr in the draft in the 1st two rounds

Largent80":dyw7n9zc said:
Everyone keeps saying we NEED a big guy for jump ball situations, but Rice went down early and we won the Superbowl without a tall WR.

true. but its not just a "big" guy... they want a wr who can take the top off a defense that the defense needs to double cover. so its not just height, but elite speed applies also. someone who has a combination of both height/speed (along with other required wr attributes) like mike evans would be ideal but he'll be gone by pick 15. and im sure if brandin cooks, who is super fast was still available somehow at 32, they would take him over taller guys, being benjamin, matthews, robinson etc.

two dog

Reaction score
Jordan Matthews at #32 would be, in my opinion, a great choice. He has good size, is swift, an
excellent route runner and has good, not great, jumping ability.

Matthews has large strong hands and is a "hands" catcher. He's a senior who has a more
polished game than most, not all, of the juniors.

I don't know his injury history other than to say I've heard nothing alarming.
He has, it seems to me, a shorter step to becoming a No. 1 than most others in this class.

I don't think we will see Beckham but maybe, maybe Cooks from Oregon state could be
there for us. Pete loves speed as much as he loves size.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Great. It's turning into another Jordan Matthews thread.

OBJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Matthews.

Watched another Vanderbilt game yesterday. If Seattle takes Matthews with either of their first two picks it'll be a major upset IMO.

pcbball12

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":28jft4wr said:

Watched another Vanderbilt game yesterday. If Seattle takes Matthews with either of their first two picks it'll be a major upset IMO.
OBJ has become one of my favorite players in this whole draft, regardless of size. Such a freaking stud. Would do backflips if he somehow fell to us and I could care less if he is under 6' by a tenth of an inch.

I will disagree with your Matthews opinion though. Think he has so much upside and potential to be a true number 1. I like OBJ a lot more, but would not be upset if they decided to go Matthews with either pick. This receiver class is ridiculous.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Honestly, if Tate is going to be resigned for 6m/year I think I'm ok letting him walk and picking up his successor. And if that's the case, I'd hope we would spend a little extra draft capital to get OBJ.

I see him as a guy who should be expected to be an upgrade to Tate in the not too distant future. I agree, he is a star and if there was a void at Z, I'd endorse the spend on him.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1irhyyrs said:

No question. OBJ is a ready-made NFL BALLER. Matthews has some potential, but I've seen no evidence that he can do anything with those extra three inches that OBJ can't. If you're taking someone based on height only, take someone who actually does something special with it (e.g. K. Benjamin). Otherwise, take the better receiver.

General Manager

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2f1l5d3n said:

Beckham will likely be a very good receiver but I think we need an X WR with some size we already have these types of players in Harvin Tate and Baldwin. So you went from a 6'6 unpolished WR to a 5'11 WR and though Beckham is polished he'd be redundant on this team. Moncrief and others make more sense and have more upside imo. That said Beckham is a player I would be ok with at 32 .

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Redundant? Highly doubtful.

OBJ is the definition of a Seahawky player. Fantastic athlete, fierce competitor, makes big plays, special teams value on top of starter value, massive hands, high points the football better than anyone in this draft class. I've been pretty consistent about that: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/odell-beck ... t-too-good

Would they like a 6-4 receiver to do these things? Sure. That guy doesn't exist. Beckham does.

I'm also not handcuffing myself to a size of receiver here. It is possible to appreciate OBJ's ability to doing everything well at 5-11, just as it to appreciate Coleman's limitless potential and unique size/speed. It's not a case of going from one to the other. That's not how it works.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'd echo that sentiment. The draft isn't about today and today's needs. It's about the next 3 to 4 years. What's redundant today is tomorrow's need.

Tate or Harvin could be injured. Or 2 years from now, OBJ makes Harvin or Tate expendable -- allowing us to maintain quality and drop salary for someone else (like maybe a QB). You can't simply deny yourself talent because it doesn't mesh with today's need. The draft is about adding talent anywhere. The more talent the better. Spackle your holes in your roster with journeyman talent if you need to and address it down the road.

The draft is simply an opportunity to add special talent. Never pass up special talent because you aren't needy now.

two dog

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2lmvoz15 said:

I don't think a single person said that Jordan Matthews was a better player than Odell Beckham.
It's just that lusting after a player you are unlikely to get, without some trading, is a difficult
exercise. Something very unusual will have to happen before Beckham is available at the #32
pick. That would be a reach of some magnitude. For one thing he would not get past the 49'ers.

Edit: Somebody has this all wrong, probably me. The Great Blue North draft report has Brandin Cooks
going 18 to the Jets and Odell Beckham going 35 to the Browns. Wow.

They also mention Stephon Tuitt's recent foot surgery and 6-8 week recovery time and were confused
about the 4.80 time he was supposed to have recorded in the last few days.

General Manager

Reaction score
Beckham is a really good WR and if that's the pick it's certainly a good one given his combination of skills. Nothing wrong with Beckham he has it all except height and we know that's not something that is required to be great in the NFL.