Keith McGill "Appears destined for Carroll's defense"

willyum

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDUEA2FdeIw

the most "Sherman" type player in this draft. Not a surefire future starter/star, but neither was Sherman. If anyone can coach this kid to be great, its Pete and crew.

4.51 is pretty good for a guy his size., as is 39 inch vertical. Sherman was 4.56 sec. and 38" jump.

McGill's draft profile: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543762
Shermans: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ric ... id=2495507

what do you think, yes/no? if so, what round?

McGruff

Reaction score
My prediction is that he will be a second round pick. Whether its us or not depends on a lot of free agent factors.

Hawks46

Reaction score
With everyone looking for the next Sherman, and trying to emulate the Seahawks defense, no way this guy makes it to the 5th round.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":vkf8v9ic said:
He should be available in the later rounds and he should be a Seahawk
Uhh, no, McGill is NOT going to be available "in the later rounds." Before today he was a consensus 3rd round pick or better (top 100). After today, he may not even make it to the Hawks at #64.

If he is there at the end of round 2, I think the Hawks have to give it some really, really strong consideration. I fully expect Sherman to be locked up long term, but I don't expect Thurmond back this year, and I think another strong year by Maxwell as a full time starter in 2014 will put him out of the Hawks' price range when he hits unrestricted free agency a year from now (given the Sherman, Thomas, Kam contracts....never mind Wilson, etc.). I don't view Jeremy Lane as a full-time starter (best suited for sub packages and ST's), and Tharold Simon's foot issues appear to be of a chronic nature, putting his long-term viability in doubt. The Hawks could be looking at a wide open RCB situation in 2015, so a guy like McGill who fits the profile with starting capability might be a good one to get added to the roster now so that he can watch and learn behind Maxwell in 2014 which contributing in dime packages and on ST's.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
I don't see John or Pete wanting to reach for a taller corner, when they've picked guys with size it has usually been linked to there being later round value. McGill is viewed as a third round prospect and could move up because of NFL copycat syndrome. Where Seattle does have an advantage with corners and the draft is Quinn's background at Florida, who has 3 draftable CB's who were all participating in the combine today.

It is interesting that very few are mocking a CB at #32 despite Browner and Thurmond being gone and Sherman and Maxwell going into the last year of their deals, and the DBs being the identity of the team. Jason Verrett could be a potential option at #32 for the nickel, though he's probably off the board by then, and Kyle Fuller could fill a nickel role before replacing Maxwell assuming he's moving on in 2015.

McGruff

Reaction score
Also keep an eye on Stanley Jean-Baptiste, another recent WR convert with size and physicality to play in our system.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
McGruff":33amn6ms said:
Also keep an eye on Stanley Jean-Baptiste, another recent WR convert with size and physicality to play in our system.
FWIW Mayock disagrees on the "physicality" piece as it relates to SJB. Mayock specifically called out today the concern he has with SJB's lack of physicality on tape, which won't work for us. SJB also has very small hands, another detriment to press coverage at the line.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I agree with Mayock. I watched some tape on Baptiste and I could not have been more unimpressed. Doesn't even attempt to tackle, Can't press, lacks awareness of the ball, stiff, and generally horrible all around. Nothing like Sherman at all who has great coverage but his greatest attribute is awareness and ability to make a play on the ball, Baptiste lacks either attribute. He is TERRIBLE.

Jville

Reaction score
I'd be surprise with a second or third round Seattle selection. "Footwork needs refinement" comment suggests a later round development project for someone.

Did you notice almost a half second difference listed between Sherman and McGill in their 3 cone times?

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3lx0x7ww said:
SeahawksFanForever":3lx0x7ww said:
He should be available in the later rounds and he should be a Seahawk
Uhh, no, McGill is NOT going to be available "in the later rounds." Before today he was a consensus 3rd round pick or better (top 100). After today, he may not even make it to the Hawks at #64.

If he is there at the end of round 2, I think the Hawks have to give it some really, really strong consideration. I fully expect Sherman to be locked up long term, but I don't expect Thurmond back this year, and I think another strong year by Maxwell as a full time starter in 2014 will put him out of the Hawks' price range when he hits unrestricted free agency a year from now (given the Sherman, Thomas, Kam contracts....never mind Wilson, etc.). I don't view Jeremy Lane as a full-time starter (best suited for sub packages and ST's), and Tharold Simon's foot issues appear to be of a chronic nature, putting his long-term viability in doubt. The Hawks could be looking at a wide open RCB situation in 2015, so a guy like McGill who fits the profile with starting capability might be a good one to get added to the roster now so that he can watch and learn behind Maxwell in 2014 which contributing in dime packages and on ST's.

Some team might reach for him after the combine numbers but he should go in the later rounds according to his tape. I want hawks to draft him because Pete can fix his issues.

Who was putting him in top 100 before the combine? Got any links?

chris98251

Reaction score
You all have to remember, Sherms unique abilitys are not his size but his brain, he can study a player and find his habits and tendencies, he knows how to get in his head, he know how to break down a QB and what he likes to do. His WR time helps him detour a WR from going where he wants because he knows how they like to set up a route, then add his length, hands and physicality.

It's also what Maxwell was getting praised for from his team mates, how hard he was working. The size is a great start, it's whats in the head that sells Pete and John as well as their attitude.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
His footwork should need refinement, given that he's only been a CB for one season. I certainly don't see Richard Sherman-type upside in McGill, and there's definitely a 'project' element to him. But its a copycat league and I absolutely think that a team which is confident in its ability to refine his technique will fall in love with his measurables and upside, and not allow him to make it out of the top 75. The Jags at the top of Round 3 would be an obvious potential spot.

OP
OP
W

willyum

Reaction score
chris98251":1bw091vt said:
You all have to remember, Sherms unique abilitys are not his size but his brain, he can study a player and find his habits and tendencies, he knows how to get in his head, he know how to break down a QB and what he likes to do. His WR time helps him detour a WR from going where he wants because he knows how they like to set up a route, then add his length, hands and physicality.

It's also what Maxwell was getting praised for from his team mates, how hard he was working. The size is a great start, it's whats in the head that sells Pete and John as well as their attitude.

Very much agree, film study is what makes this defense separate from the others. If anyone can motivate a young talent like McGill to be the best he can be, it's Earl, Kam, Sherm, Pete.

Seattle's a dream scenario for defensive backs, man. HANDS DOWN.

SDHawk

Reaction score
The problem with McGill during the Shrine Game practices was that he constantly pulled up lame due to cramps. Scouts speculated that McGill had poor workout habits and was poorly conditioned. That said, he has the physical tools to be similar to Browner.

McGruff

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3eosnt7m said:
McGruff":3eosnt7m said:
FWIW Mayock disagrees on the "physicality" piece as it relates to SJB. Mayock specifically called out today the concern he has with SJB's lack of physicality on tape, which won't work for us. SJB also has very small hands, another detriment to press coverage at the line.

go back and watch sherms college tape and hear what both he and his coaches had to say. sherm learned to be physical pkaying wih the legion. he didn't come Into the leaguethat way.