Joel Bitonio - OT Nevada v. the last 4 drafts

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I was tinkering with scores and found that Joel Bitonio really looked like he killed the combine. I was curious so I analyzed the 4 years worth of combine results (2011-2014) to see how this class and Bitonio stood up historically.

Results as follows:

Shuttle Scores

Top shuttle scores

3 cone scores

Top 3 cone scores

Broad jump

Top broad jump

Continued below:

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
40 yd dash

Top 40yd scores

These are the top 10 overall for all of these tests. Obviously when you look at them individually -- lots of uninspired prospects tend to show up in this company. When you look at prospects who excel at all of them combined, the list is much more impressive and indicative of quality. I selected 4.5 shuttle, 7.5 3 cone, 5.10 40 yd, 8'6" broad jump as the criteria:

Top all 4 tests:

Top all 4

When you look at the scores as a composite (which I expect that's what the SPARQ grading system does), you can see that while you can excel at one specific test -- in order to succeed at more than one, or many tests designed to measure athleticism, speed and agility -- you have to be a more rare breed of athlete. And when you look at these caliber of athletes, you can see a pattern begin to emerge as far as the kind of quality they represent.

Obviously, skills and tape are a major component to grading any prospect. The most important if you ask anyone in the business. This isn't a referendum on that kind of quality. From a pure metrics analysis however, I think if we're looking for an athletic prospect -- Bitonio stands out amongst some of the best prospects overall over the course of several drafts.

Also, while a lot of fans grow tired of claims of 'deepest draft in years' or 'one of the best drafts at X position in years' and generally dismiss those claims as hyperbole. These scores do highlight that at least athletically speaking, 2014 is the best by a wide margin in that regard. It's a REALLY good draft to be looking for OL talent -- particularly when so many teams already loaded up on OL talent just last year.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Good insight, I havn't heard much of Bitonio seems to be a consensus 3rd-4th round guy. I doubt with those numbers we can get him with our 4th. We'd have to use our 2nd or make a trade back at some point.

Im all for grabbing some OL talent but not at the cost of passing up our 6'2+ WR.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
He's an OL and he only put up 22 reps on bench press (I'm assuming that's the number in the 4th to last column)? A punter did more reps. Not a good showing for someone who needs to be physical and strong at their position.

Bus035

Reaction score
I really liked watching this guy during the NFL combine. Very athletic with a good build. Mayock couldn't stop raving about this guy on Saturday

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1w32zq9c said:
He's an OL and he only put up 22 reps on bench press (I'm assuming that's the number in the 4th to last column)? A punter did more reps. Not a good showing for someone who needs to be physical and strong at their position.

It's not a lot. But the Bench is also not a test that really has a correlation to actual strength. I'm actually kind of surprised it's still part of the combine to be honest. That particular lift doesn't measure the kinetic movements that football players actually do when playing. A lot of players don't even really train that lift to begin with.

It isn't even a good metric for a lineman's punch move. That's a quick, short area movement. I can't help but think that in the not too distant future, the lift portion of the combine may be altered to use different kinds of lifts. Obviously high risk lifts like squats wouldn't be feasible.

I would say it's something that could use work. I'm not seeing it as a huge negative. When you watch him on tape, particularly when he blocks down to create cutback lanes, he looks like a real mauler. I view his functional strength is based on his legs and core strength. Additionally, when he pass protects, he doesn't seem to have the kinds of issues you'd expect due to weakness.

I think he'd be even better with more strength development in his upper body. Which is actually encouraging, because he already starts at a pretty high level in pass pro and zone blocking principles despite having a lot of room for improvement.

I'm not saying take Bitonio at 32. This is a guy who should be available at 64. I would say that I perfer Bitonio at 64 than pretty much any of the other OL prospects generically projected at the end of R1. And I'd prefer Bitonio at 32 over those same prospects. I see him as a real outlier talent there who will probably drop through typical stereotype factors (small school, not enormous, OT/OG hybrid).

If his name was called at 32, I'd be jacked. He has elite athleticism and when you watch his games, it's extremely easy to see him in a Hawks uniform. Nevada runs a very similar system to Seattle. He displays all the kinds of blocks and movements he'd be required to make here in Seattle. Looks like a perfect fit and a real asset in our stretch zone run (our bread and butter). Very good tape on his pass pro against quality competition (FSU ends/Jernigan and Anthony Barr).

Seattle is really good at projecting where players go. Bitonio very likely will be had much later. I would expect names like Jackson, Su'a-Filo and maybe even Cyril Richardson to be taken before him from teams looking at OG. I see teams still looking at Antonio Richardson/Moses and even Brandon Thomas as OTs before considering Bitonio. Power running man block teams aren't going to have more than a 3rd day grade on him and I'm sure his lift testing will be part of that. For ZBS teams, he is going to have a ton more value.

If we don't end up taking an OL with our first pick, this is a guy I would keep a close eye on. I expect he's very high on our board and we'll consider playing a little draft day roulette to see if we can get a good talent later.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Bitonio caught my eye yesterday as well, while combing through the prospects. Good stuff here.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
The most underrated dude coming out of the combine. The guy killed it at the combine save bench (hey Clowney only put up 21) and was the standout NFL prospect in his conference this season (yeah I know its Nevada). I would love to make 'pit bull' a Hawk. Not only does he have the athletic skills, he's got the Breno-like tude-thus the nick name.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Occasionally numbers mean something. Dontari Poe looked like the only thing he had going was a fantastic combine workout. There were a lot of questions about his actual football ability, but he has played well for KC's defense.

sliv

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2uy1pgp3 said:
hawkfan68":2uy1pgp3 said:

It's not a lot. But the Bench is also not a test that really has a correlation to actual strength. I'm actually kind of surprised it's still part of the combine to be honest. That particular lift doesn't measure the kinetic movements that football players actually do when playing. A lot of players don't even really train that lift to begin with.

It isn't even a good metric for a lineman's punch move. That's a quick, short area movement. I can't help but think that in the not too distant future, the lift portion of the combine may be altered to use different kinds of lifts. Obviously high risk lifts like squats wouldn't be feasible.

I would say it's something that could use work. I'm not seeing it as a huge negative. When you watch him on tape, particularly when he blocks down to create cutback lanes, he looks like a real mauler. I view his functional strength is based on his legs and core strength. Additionally, when he pass protects, he doesn't seem to have the kinds of issues you'd expect due to weakness.

I think he'd be even better with more strength development in his upper body. Which is actually encouraging, because he already starts at a pretty high level in pass pro and zone blocking principles despite having a lot of room for improvement.

I'm not saying take Bitonio at 32. This is a guy who should be available at 64. I would say that I perfer Bitonio at 64 than pretty much any of the other OL prospects generically projected at the end of R1. And I'd prefer Bitonio at 32 over those same prospects. I see him as a real outlier talent there who will probably drop through typical stereotype factors (small school, not enormous, OT/OG hybrid).

If his name was called at 32, I'd be jacked. He has elite athleticism and when you watch his games, it's extremely easy to see him in a Hawks uniform. Nevada runs a very similar system to Seattle. He displays all the kinds of blocks and movements he'd be required to make here in Seattle. Looks like a perfect fit and a real asset in our stretch zone run (our bread and butter). Very good tape on his pass pro against quality competition (FSU ends/Jernigan and Anthony Barr).

Seattle is really good at projecting where players go. Bitonio very likely will be had much later. I would expect names like Jackson, Su'a-Filo and maybe even Cyril Richardson to be taken before him from teams looking at OG. I see teams still looking at Antonio Richardson/Moses and even Brandon Thomas as OTs before considering Bitonio. Power running man block teams aren't going to have more than a 3rd day grade on him and I'm sure his lift testing will be part of that. For ZBS teams, he is going to have a ton more value.

If we don't end up taking an OL with our first pick, this is a guy I would keep a close eye on. I expect he's very high on our board and we'll consider playing a little draft day roulette to see if we can get a good talent later.

If pressed I will do the homework but I'm sure he is not the only offensive lineman to have low 20 reps in the bench not ideal but not a deal breaker at all. I'm sure if I looked I could find some stud offensive tackles that did not fair that great in the bench. He also could have just had a bad day on the bench and put up 28 or 29 any other day. Mike Maylock loved him, called him big athletic, strong and plays to the echo of the whistle, sounds like a Tom Cable OT to me and if the Seahawks picked him round 1 it would mean that Schneider thought so too and that would be all I would need to know.

Seafan

Reaction score
There are a couple tackles I wouldn't be surprised to be drafted at #32. These guys have to come in and start. Otherwise, trade down.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1o62iy2e said:
hawkfan68":1o62iy2e said:

Thanks for the detailed info on him. I haven't heard much about him but the bench number stood. Cyrus K from Alabama did piss poor on the bench too and he's projected as a 1st rounder too. It would be interesting to see how this draft plays out for the Seahawks not much weaknesses but somewhat of deep draft in positions they really need (TE, DT/DE, OL, and WR)

cover-2

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2j90irc1 said:

The Breno "Baddest Man on the Planet" Giacomini only did 23 reps his draft year.

Bitonio scouting report says he plays with a mean streak looking to bury defenders. Playing demeanor and will/heart makes up for his lack of weight room strength.

I have to admit that I wouldn't mind have a shorter RT, Bitonio 6-4, which may help Russell Wilson a bit when looking for his WR's.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2b0rhrdu said:

80% of run blocking is lower body and core, and most of pass blocking is quickness and agility . . . Bitonio's broad jump and vertical indicate the former and his agility drills indicate the latter.

Not worried about the bench at all. 3 months in a pro training room with NFL quality steroids and he'll be fine.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Coach Carlisle is not a big fan of using the bench as, well, a benchmark. He believes weight training should be used as a facilitator to movement not an end unto itself.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Did we we need a new thread or could this have been added to the one English started? Its a serious question. Not trying to be a duck.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2warqipw said:
Did we we need a new thread or could this have been added to the one English started? Its a serious question. Not trying to be a duck.

Check the date, man. This was started a while ago.