Anyone surprised by DAT's 4.50 official forty time?

kearly

Reaction score
Given that track speed and field speed can sometimes be different things (and De'Anthony Thomas didn't have the best get off on one of his attempts), I guess this shouldn't be too shocking.

I remember scouting Tavon Austin last year, and when I played his highlights and DAT's highlights back to back I was expecting them to look about the same. Instead, Austin looked MUCH more explosive, I was stunned by that. When Austin ran unofficially in the 4.2s and then got an official 4.34, I figured DAT would be around 4.40 to 4.45, so this is disappointing, but not out of the question.

I also thought that Sankey's time (4.49) was mildly disappointing as well. Still good, but I would have guessed low to mid 4.4s for both of those guys.

The good news for Thomas is that Dexter McCluster ran a 4.53.

(Anyone know a good place for finding 2014 combine 10 yard split numbers?)

sliv

Reaction score
Keeping in mind Joe Hayden's 4.6 and Percy Harvin's 4.4 I am not that surprised.... stuff happens maybe he rolled out of his start or whatever he is faster than a 4.5...... I was surprised that Sankey ran a 4.49 because I thought he would 4.6 only because I am a husky fan and have seen him get caught. ....... oh and I love him as a RB prospect by the way, I wish Sankey was our RB of the future just because he has the whole package and is a great kid.......... amazing vision, Sankey is going to be great for somebody.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I want to know the 10 yard split numbers. On tape I think Sankey is Leon Washington fast in short areas, but his long speed is probably comparable to Chris Polk. I think it's fair to say that Sankey is more quick than fast.

I don't really put a lot of stock into guys getting caught from behind. Brandon Browner chased down Adrian Peterson from behind in a foot race back in the 2012 game. Despite that, I'm pretty sure AP is faster than BB.

Guardian

Reaction score
kearly":1orsawwx said:
I want to know the 10 yard split numbers. On tape I think Sankey is Leon Washington fast in short areas, but his long speed is probably comparable to Chris Polk. I think it's fair to say that Sankey is more quick than fast.

I don't really put a lot of stock into guys getting caught from behind. Brandon Browner chased down Adrian Peterson from behind in a foot race back in the 2012 game. Despite that, I'm pretty sure AP is faster than BB.
Sankey: 1.59
Thomas: 1.57
Carey: 1.59
Hyde: 1.65
Hill: 1.56
Mason: 1.50

Hill's 1.56 is pretty impressive considering he's 6' and 233 lbs. 10 3/8" hands, too.

cesame

Reaction score
I'm not that surprised.

He was never really a burner on the football field like a Percy Harvin or Reggie Bush

He was always more of a guy that changed directions without losing any speed

I actually think Thomas Tyner is a little more explosive once he really gets going

CPHawk

Reaction score
Tyner ran the fastest 100 in HS as a SO, if he had wanted to he could have been a track guy. I'm betting when he comes out he be 5'11 215 and run a 4.35. He was always faster than DAT, though I still don't understand how his 40 dropped so far after running an unofficial 4.37.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I too was surprised. But again, we see an example of quick vs. fast. DAT is very quick...apparently not incredibly fast. I know I am being redundant here, but the 250 lb Luke Willson ran a faster 40 than DAT. Willson is fast, not overly quick.

Tical21

Reaction score
I was actually quite pleased with Sankey. I thought he would run in the 4.5's. And that bench? Didn't see that coming. I am afraid of the added weight though. When he was a frosh, he was the first player I ran into at picture day. Dude has about a 180 lb. frame. 215-220 is just too big for him.

kobebryant

Reaction score
He tried the Jamaican toe-drag technique at the start, which he clearly hadn't mastered and is really only beneficial in the 60m-100m, and IMO it ended up costing him.

Look for a 4.3 without the toe-drag at the proday.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3qy3zxxx said:
Tre Mason ran a 4.5 as well. If we had to pick from 4.5 backs, I'd definitely take him over DAT.

I agree, but I don't see Seattle picking an RB in the 2nd round this year.