Be Honest - what grade would you give the 2013 draft class?

volshawk

Reaction score
I'm as big of a homer as it comes and will give the front office the benefit of doubt all day long....but the class isn't looking overly impressive after one year. Sure, some of these are development guys, but I can't remember the last time not one rookie played a significant role on a team. Maybe Willson fits that bill and Michael explodes this year or next. Just doesn't look all that impressive at the moment. Thoughts?

2 30 (62) Michael, Christine RB
3 25 (87) Hill, Jordan DT
4 26 (123) Harper, Chris WR
5 4 (137) Williams, Jesse DT
5 5 (138) Simon, Tharold CB
5 25 (158) Willson, Luke TE
6 26 (194) Ware, Spencer RB
7 14 (220) Seymour, Ryan G
7 25 (231) Powell, Ty DE
7 35 (241) Smith, Jared DT
7 36 (242) Bowie, Michael OT

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Too early to tell. Michael was a steal in the second round. A truly explosive running back with break away speed, agility, and toughness to get those extra yards. Jesse Williams is a huge steal should his knee heal(possible Red replacement if healthy). Tharold Simon has great potential but has been hurt as well. We saw what Luke is capable of. Michael Bowie looks like a great pick.
There is tons of value in that draft depending on some of them healing up (big question with Jesse) but I have no problem with last years draft except Chris Harper who I never liked to begin with.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
2 30 (62) Michael, Christine RB - I have no doubt he's going to be a stud RB. Unreal physical ability.
3 25 (87) Hill, Jordan DT - Intriguing guy. Could blossom into a well rounded DT or be an underwhelming 3rd down pass rusher only.
4 26 (123) Harper, Chris WR - Big ole fart sound
5 4 (137) Williams, Jesse DT - Don't think he ever truly plays in the NFL. Knee situation is dicey at best.
5 5 (138) Simon, Tharold CB - I have high hopes. Fits the bill. Just needs to get healthy.
5 25 (158) Willson, Luke TE - I think he's a future stud, albeit in a limited capacity. Won't be a big name, but will be a guy who makes big plays in limited opps.
6 26 (194) Ware, Spencer RB - I love Spencer Ware and think he has the ability to be a starting caliber RB in the NFL. I think he's perfect as a potential RB2 who can "close" games down the line.
7 14 (220) Seymour, Ryan G - Who really knows.
7 25 (231) Powell, Ty DE - Worthy late round gamble. Didn't work out.
7 35 (241) Smith, Jared DT - Amazing pick simply because of his nickname.
7 36 (242) Bowie, Michael OT - Potentially a very good OL. Great value.

Alvin Bailey - Another potentially very good OL. Supreme value.

Yea, not pretty on the surface but realistically you got 2 potential OWs (Michael & Willson), 2 starting caliber OL (potentially good ones IMO, and gambled on 2 DL who could pay off or do absolutely nothing. So, while nobody jumps out right now (besides Willson), this honestly has the potential to be a very underrated and important class, especially if Bowie/Bailey turn into reliable starters and CMike lives up to his potential. There's nothing better than having 2 starting caliber OL on very cheap deals, who also provide versatility.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Basically every pick was a developmental pick. It was a draft for the future, not the immediate. Way, way too early to judge that draft.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hard to grade because of the injury situation however, Bowie gave us quality minutes when we needed them the most, and maybe that one player trumps all the rest.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
We knew going into the draft most of the picks will have a hard time cracking the lineup let alone making the roster. That's what I love about this front office...they drafted for potential down the road and that keeps the team in good shape

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Definitely incomplete. Look at the 2011 draft, arguably one of the best we've ever had. After the 2011 season, who had contributed from it? Sherman started a handful of games at the end of the season. KJ did play significant snaps. Carpenter and Moffit both struggled. Durham didn't do much. Maxwell didn't play. Smith barely played.

Now after 3 years though we can see that Sherman was a stud. Wright is an above average LB. Maxwell looks like a stud CB as well. Smith is a SB MVP.

I think there is still a ton of potential though. I expect 2014 to be Lynch's last year and then Cmike will show what he's made of. Simon looks like another in a long line of late rd CB stars. Hill should be a solid DL for us this season. Williams supposedly has made a ton of progress on his knees. If so he could be a huge addition. Willson was a steal in the 5th. Bowie has already shown to be a big steal in the 7th.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'd put it down as a real success.

We picked up 2 stalwart OL prospects who should play a prominent role in the offense this year. One starter, possibly 2. If we got that out of this years' draft (something many fans are suggesting we do), we'd consider that a good draft.

Willson is developing faster than expected. Blocking wise, he's amazed. Very productive player, especially considering the alternatives. How long have we been searching for a joker end? I consider that search over.

I'm intrigued by the other guys we have (Michael, Mayowa, Hill, Williams and Simon). If half of these players produce or become effective backups, that would be an excellent draft.

Early returns are kind of meh. But overall, the new rookie talent we added that did play was good. I think we had the 2nd best draft of the division (St. Louis getting more starters than us). SF needs to have Lattimore or Carradine to be productive next year in order to equal our draft as is.

What did produce was good. The incomplete grade should be verifiable this year.

Jville

Reaction score
I'd certainly give draft execution an A ... and agree that draft results carry an incomplete thru this point in time.

All of the 2013 draft picks finished the year under contract and are under contract for 2014.

In addition to Alvin Bailey, Kenneth Boatright was also a priority free agent that remains under contract for 2014.

The competition for playing time should be intense.

A London Hawk

Reaction score
Jville":15gtb7my said:
I'd certainly give draft execution an A ... and agree that draft results carry an incomplete thru this point in time.

All of the 2013 draft picks finished the year under contract and are under contract for 2014.

In addition to Alvin Bailey, Kenneth Boatright was also a priority free agent that remains under contract for 2014.

They might all be under contract somewhere, but not all of them are with the Hawks. Harper's on the Packers, Seymour the Niners and Powell's on the Bills.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Super Incomplete. We haven't seen what CMike, Jesse Williams, Tharold Simon or Jared Smith have to offer. Any and all of those guys could develop into major contributors. Too early to have an opinion.

Jville

Reaction score
A London Hawk":2tt715jf said:
Jville":2tt715jf said:

They might all be under contract somewhere, but not all of them are with the Hawks. Harper's on the Packers, Seymour the Niners and Powell's on the Bills.

Roger that .... thats a complete accounting. Just not enough roster room for all of them.

We did claim a couple of 2013 rookie draft picks off of other rosters as the season progressed. They included rookie offensive tackle Caylin Hauptmann from Cleveland and Quarterback B.J. Daniels from San Francisco.

kearly

Reaction score
As others have said, any grade given now wouldn't be set in concrete. That said, I gave Seattle a B- after the draft ended because of a high number of "meh" prospects (everyone other than Christine Michael, Jesse Williams, and Tharold Simon). I thought Seattle paid too much for Harvin, who at the time looked like a luxury addition.

It's only been a year, but we've seen a lot change. I would actually upgrade this draft grade to an A- now. My reasoning:

-The Percy Harvin trade was visionary. Without Harvin, Seattle's offense struggled to function against good front sevens. We could have stood pat and taken Cordarrelle Patterson, but I have no regrets with Harvin. When Harvin was on the field, he made our offense visibly better, even if he barely touched the ball.

-Christine Michael was a stud in the preseason. Just a matter of time for him.

-Jordan Hill could be a good player if he can develop an anchor.

-Chris Harper (a pick I hated) was a bust.

-Jesse Williams health scares lived up to the hype, unfortunately.

-No new information on Tharold Simon. His tools are very similar to Sherman/Browner. Excited to see him play.

-Luke Willson was a pleasant surprise. Getting a league average player from a late 5th round pick is a win. Of all the picks, Willson exceeded my expectations the most.

-Big fan of Spencer Ware, who I think is a slightly above average NFL RB in our system. Not sure if he lasts but I hope he's still around when Lynch moves on.

-Ryan Seymour lived up to his draft stock and didn't last long. He was picked up by the 49ers. Was never wild about that pick.

-Ty Powell was semi-interesting, but got poached by the Bills. Wouldn't be surprised if he is still in the NFL five years from now.

-Jared Smith is going to need some time. Seemed like a camp body last year but we'll see how he grows after converting to OL.

-Even if he never plays another down, Michael Bowie has already exceeded 7th round value.

-Alvin Bailey was a UDFA home run.

Still a shaky draft, but adding Harvin turned out to be an essential move, him and Michael alone could make this draft an average one by themselves. Most of the rest is pretty shaky, though I'm still excited for Tharold Simon and I think Bailey and Willson are very likely to play out their full rookie contracts. Hill could be something decent if Quinn works some magic.

JMR

Reaction score
Willllllson and Bowie thrown into the fire right away and both looked promising from where I sit.

Harper was a whiff, somewhat surprising based on his size/strength assets and good production in college.

Just about everyone else still with the team was a red-shirt in 2013, so who knows.

HawkWow

Reaction score
The last word I'd be using to describe Michael would be "steal". Can't pass block, can't play special teams, fumbles, questionable attitude and appears to be an idiot. No easier position than RB to transition from college to the pros. The fact he couldn't get on the field erases any notion of "steal".

IF the FO knew all of the above about him, I am disappointed with their judgment. IF they didn't know the above stuff, I am disappointed with their scouting. IF their plan was to let him sit the entire year, I am disappointed we didn't wait til the 3rd and draft Lattimore. 10 months from now, we will learn Lattimore, with his excellent character and ball skills, will be a steal.

Further, I can't grasp where people are getting the idea Michael killed it in the pre-season. He didn't. In fact, with the exception of clearly having a burst, he danced behind the line too much and if his YPC was any better than Turbin's, it was insignificantly so. Yet people want Turbin and his sure hands gone...and call no-show Michael a steal? That pick gets a D from me...though he could explode next year...that we don't know and can only go by what we see now.

Our 5th rd pick, IMO...is the only steal of this draft and perhaps Bowie. I expect great things from Luke Willson. Too early to tell with Hill, Simon and Ware. Our 4th rd pick was cut almost immediately. I admire that, but won't confuse it with good drafting. The rest? I don't even know if they are in this country. Even when considering we are a difficult roster to crack, not a good draft by any means, IMO. I think a D would be given by anyone outside this forum.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HawkWow":122zacmx said:
The last word I'd be using to describe Michael would be "steal". Can't pass block, can't play special teams, fumbles, questionable attitude and appears to be an idiot. No easier position than RB to transition from college to the pros. The fact he couldn't get on the field erases any notion of "steal".

IF the FO knew all of the above about him, I am disappointed with their judgment. IF they didn't know the above stuff, I am disappointed with their scouting. IF their plan was to let him sit the entire year, I am disappointed we didn't wait til the 3rd and draft Lattimore. 10 months from now, we will learn Lattimore, with his excellent character and ball skills, will be a steal.

Further, I can't grasp where people are getting the idea Michael killed it in the pre-season. He didn't. In fact, with the exception of clearly having a burst, he danced behind the line too much and if his YPC was any better than Turbin's, it was insignificantly so. Yet people want Turbin and his sure hands gone...and call no-show Michael a steal? That pick gets a D from me...though he could explode next year...that we don't know and can only go by what we see now.

Our 5th rd pick, IMO...is the only steal of this draft and perhaps Bowie. I expect great things from Luke Willson. Too early to tell with Hill, Simon and Ware. Our 4th rd pick was cut almost immediately. I admire that, but won't confuse it with good drafting. The rest? I don't even know if they are in this country. Even when considering we are a difficult roster to crack, not a good draft by any means, IMO. I think a D would be given by anyone outside this forum.

Its a shame that they delete posts here after awhile. I think about once a week you make a troll post like this. Just completely lacking in anything factul, almost like you are on a remote island completely unaware of what is actually going on with the team and players.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
I didn't get the decision to draft Michael considering he'd likely have been a 3rd string option, even in year 2. Expectations right now are at best Michael will give you 2 years of low cost production. There were thinner positions to use a high pick on, receiver or o-line. Keenan Allen would've been nice, or perhaps Jordan Reed. I'd give the class a C- grade at this point, hopefully a year from now that can get bumped up. Being honest, it's hard for people to say the Hawks won the 2012 draft after what most concluded in 1 year or at most 2 years of return, and then say you need 3 years to judge 2013.

sutz

Reaction score
Given we were about 30 seconds away from the NFCCG that year, I don't think many knowledgeable people would have expected many draft picks to turn into immediate starters.

Sure, you can set aside the "3 year rule" for rebuilding teams that need immediate contibutions from draft picks, but does anybody really think we were less than contenders for what we actually did in '13? When you are a contender for the playoffs and SB, you go full on "don't worry too much about draft grades for 2-3 years" mode IMHO.

Latest posts