Sac's Way Too Soon First Round Mock

Sac

Reaction score
Here is my way too early and likely incorrect first round mock draft. Please tell me how wrong I am.

1) HOU: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
What was obvious a month ago, before the Manziel revival and the Bortles hype train arrived, comes to fruition. A real QB makes the Texans a near lock for Cinderella story of the year and Bridgewater a near lock for Offensive Rookie of the Year.

2) MIN: (From STL): Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
The Vikings roll the dice and trade up for Johnny Football. Queens fans everywhere talk about the second coming of Fran Tarkenton (or third, if you count RW)

3) JAX: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
Gus does the sensible thing and takes the most freakishly gifted player in the draft at 3.

4) CLE: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
Unable to trade out of 4, Cleveland picks a monster talent that they will proceed to ruin over the course of the next several years.

5) OAK: Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
CUZ it seems like something the Raiders might do. I said it.

6) ATL: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
The Dirty birds need help on the line and they get it.

7) TB: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
Big bird gets a big target to throw to.

8 ) STL: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
The Rams traded down thinking they'd have a shot at either Matthews or Robinson. They land Robinson.

9) BUF: C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama

10) DET: Marqise Lee, WR, Detroit Lions
Another supremely talented receiver for Stafford to over throw.

11) TEN: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
Tennessee officially sucks as they pick another raw QB, utterly giving up on Jake Locker. It's the funniest thing. I hear "Blake Bortles" and I see "Blaine Gabbert". Bust.

12) NYG: Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
The G-Men take a defensive linemen, because they like defensive linemen.

13) STL: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
The Rams double dip the Offensive Tackle chip in this deep draft. HUGE upgrade for St. Louis.

14) CHI: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
Da Bears. Defense. Amiright?

15) PIT: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
Heath Miller is old. Rapistburger needs another receiving threat, preferably one that can block.

16) DAL: Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
Jurrah finally gets one right.

17) BAL: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
Baltimore gets this one more right than Jurrah Jones did.

18) NYJ: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
One Monstrous, yet curiously small handed target for Gino to throw to.

19) MIA: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
The Fish give this guy Jonathan's number so they don't have to discount the #71 jerseys they still have in storage.

20) ARI: Ra’Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
Dockett successor. Crap. Better than an offensive linemen (for us) I suppose.

21) GB: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
Finley is done, son.

22) PHI: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
Cuz defense.

23) KC: Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
Cuz more defense.

24) CIN: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
One of the few weaknesses this team has it can't really address at 24. Sadly for Cincy fans, they won't get a real QB in the first round, and will have to settle for an excellent line backer.

25) SD: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
The bolts could have used a guy like this against the Broncos in the playoffs.

26) CLE: Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
The second player to get punished by being drafted to Cleveland. Sucks for this guy.

27) NO: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
The Saints need someone else to throw to other than "I'm" Jimmy Graham and Darren Sproles. They get a good one.

28) CAR: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
With the Receiver well having been dipped into several times before Carolina gets to pick, they swing and miss on a soft, overrated player at TE.

29) NE: Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
How did this guy fall this far? That's a fine question, sir. I'm guessing it's the dark side of the force. Or just a terrible mock draft.

30) SF: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
Unfortunately the Niners take a good player at #30.

31) DEN: Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State
Meh, I really don't give a crap what Denver does. So I'm just picking a name out of a hat at this point, but an OLB seems like a logical choice considering all the highest rated corners are off the board already.

32) SEA: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
The pick that will again have the pundits scratching their heads and mocking the selection, but this kid is a monster. He's 6' 7" tall and weighs in at 270lbs and is a willing and able blocker.

Outstanding size with a well-proportioned, muscular build. Big target over the middle and in the red zone. Athletic with flexible hips and knees to run the full tight end route tree. Bursts into routes and stretches the seam. Good hands. Has playmaking ability. Lined up flexed and in-line. Good potential as a blocker. Bends his knees, shuffles and fans rushers wide. Works well in tandem and can combo block effectively. Takes care of his body and maintains low body fat. Has NFL bloodlines.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/Tro ... id=2543628

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
If we really were to pass on Aaron Donald or Odell Beckham Jr I'd be pretty pissed. And whilst Troy has all the tools to be a very good TE in the league, I don't see four TEs going in the first round.

But as a piece of hypothetical fun, it was a good read! This could be a really exciting draft in terms of trades. Minnesota arent afraid to trade picks and I could actually see them moving up for a QB. 49ers are a likely candidate to trade up too, though hopefully the top 4 WRs are gone too early (Watkins, Evans, OBJ and Lee) for them to get one.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I agree with Somerset. In your draft, if we don't grab Donald I'm going to throw something.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I like it for the most part. Two nit picks though. Manziel to Minn is kind of a weird scenario because Norv Turner is the OC and Im not sure JF fits his style. Im not saying he cant/wont adapt, its just an odd fit. I think thats why so many have Carr going there even though he and his eye liner wont pan out, like his brother.

Did Josh Gordon fail another drug test? It is Cleveland. However with Lil ego running the offense I would anticipate them targetting JF or Bortels.

I agree on Teddy. Plus he is the most polished by a long shot and seems to be in line with Obriens past QBs from what I know of him.

I could also see Barr drop and if he does end up in Cinci thats bad news for the rest of the north.

Other than that it is a nice mock. Although when I saw Sac's mock I was hoping for white chicks.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
No way no how does Robinson fall to 8. I also don't think we will see the Seahawks pick a tight end in the first either and certainly not if Donald is there.

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
I'm surprised none of you have poopoo'd the Rams taking two top offensive tackles.

Throwdown

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":e9u1c2hs said:
I'm surprised none of you have poopoo'd the Rams taking two top offensive tackles.

Cuz they suck, no on cares what those bums do.

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":1672irw5 said:
SacHawk2.0":1672irw5 said:

I was going to ask, why are you so nice to the Rams? :domotwak:

I really wasn't trying to be. But they really really need two tackles, and that's just the way this mock fell. Picking twice in the top 15 can do that for you, I guess.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":zijhco4g said:
No way no how does Robinson fall to 8. I also don't think we will see the Seahawks pick a tight end in the first either and certainly not if Donald is there.

How do you know this? From what I've read he needs work in pass blocking and teams have other needs, he could make it to 8, or 9

Nice work Sac :th2thumbs: It would be really cool if Aaron Donald fell to us, maybe some last minute pot smoking rumor would help?

I don't like Niklas because I have yet to see him demonstrate the ability to catch the ball in traffic. I'm sure someone will find 1 or 2 examples where he did and yell "SEE!" he can catch in traffic!

Personally I don't see hype for this guy this early. It's all based on potential. But then again, like you say Seattle loves those kinds of picks and chooses players based on what they can do.

Thank you for putting a different spin on the draft and not going for the boring "popular" picks. If I wanted to read something like that I'd go to ESPN.

drdiags

Reaction score
Looking at the title, I was expecting a draft prediction using cartoon characters. I am disappointed. Nice job though.

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
Honestly, Aaron Donald isn't on this mock because I did it at 1AM, beat tired, and just forgot. Next mock will have him going in the top 15 for sure. Probably sooner.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Natethegreat":386vartu said:

I think Robinson is the best player in this draft class. He does need work in pass-pro, but that's all he needs, work. He has all of the tools and a ton of desire. Perennial pro-bowler with a mean streak. As tenacious as Hutch.

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
Big Walt went 6th. Of course, Robinson could come off the board first and the rams could take Matthews

kearly

Reaction score
Very nice mock, I wouldn't consider Troy Niklas to be a huge shock personally. He has mid-first round tools and he basically didn't get to play almost at all before 2013 thanks in large part to Tyler Eifert. I could see Seattle grading Niklas over ASJ and I wouldn't even be offended because they are similar red zone threats and ASJ has a long way to go as a pass blocker.

I don't think there is much chance the Rams go for two tackles. Jake Long is in year two of a pretty big contract, I imagine that he'd have close to zero trade value and releasing him soon would hurt. I don't think they make that kind of sacrifice for Lewan and I don't think they draft another OT that high to put him on the bench or play him out of position. They also need receiver help pretty bad, and Benjamin is still on the board in this scenario.

Bortles reminds me of a mix of Andrew Luck and Jake Locker. He's a big, sturdy running QB with a strong arm who evades in the pocket. No disrespect to anyone, but I think the Gabbert comps are way way off. Gabbert folds when you pressure him, Bortles has that Luck magic about him when you make him move in the pocket. That said, personally I am not sold on Bortles because I think he is more like Locker than Luck, and with a slower than expected forty too, I think there is some fool's gold in him that old school types will fall for, the same minds who think Russell Wilson is just barely an average QB. Though, if Bortles does develop he could be almost as good as Andrew Luck, so I'm not saying he's a total landmine.

Jerry Jones usually does very well in the first round. :) His issues come from most everywhere else.

ASJ is a little soft. I wouldn't call him over-rated at #28 personally.

Overall, great mock though. I think Bortles and Bridgewater should probably be swapped (at least based on what I'm hearing from NFL sources), but otherwise I think the top 10 picks will look a lot like the way you have them.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I don't think your Troy Niklas call is outlandish - assuming Aaron Donald and Odell Beckham are not on the board/available. IMO, I honestly think that Donald and Beckham are the 2 guys that PC/JS would love most in this draft (that realistically could be had). I'm sure they would do back flips for Greg Robinson or Clowney, obviously (just not realistic).

Back to Niklas, he's a very polarizing player. He's extremely raw but has elite size and could honestly get bigger (which is scary). We saw success with the 3 OT package (Bailey at TE), and it would be intriguing to see this same idea, only with a legitimate TE, even if he's not Jimmy Graham athletically. Like his cousin Clay Matthews, he looks to be a late bloomer/moldable (ie new to the position).

I personally wouldn't draft Niklas in R1, but he does seem like the "WTF is Seattle doing" type pick that ends up becoming a good player. Personally, I don't like the idea of any TE in R1 not named Ebron, but I do think Niklas has a potentially unique/great value in this offense. Contributes to the run game as well as having the potential to be a RZ nightmare.