In the second round

suppaball

Reaction score
I think, if he is still on the board, we should select out of Oregon St. WR Brandon Cooks. He is a virtual clone of Harvin, and plays in a similar O under Coach Riely at OSU.

If in wrong forum sorry posted from phone not sure which forum finger hit.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
#1 Wrong forum
#2 We don't need more short WRs
#3 He won't be there at 64

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Only if...
1. We don't resign Tate
2. We Draft a 6"2+ WR somewhere else
3. We don't intend to resign Baldwin next year, or we intend to cut Harvin

OP
OP
suppaball

suppaball

Reaction score
Cooks could be there at 64 it is possable smallish. However like I said if and big if he is still there. If Percy were to go down with a guy like Cooks he could fit right in. Cooks is a beast and it is possable other teams would pass due to his size.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Not sure Cooks is there at #32 after his combine. But if Tate walked and he was there at #32, I could see a chance of it. Ideally rookie WR's don't see a ton of snaps until at least later in the season, where depth and health is the impetus.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Well right now we only have 3 WR's who are a roster lock.

We could get Cooks and 2 Big bodies in the 5th and let them battle for a roster spot. In th eminority but I'm glad to get Kearse more time over Tate. It seemed like Russ really trusted Kearse and threw it to him back shoulder an awful lot. Keeping local talent helps or should help come time to resign.

justafan

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3ehg889c said:
suppaball":3ehg889c said:
Tate walked so cooks looks even better now!
It makes no sense to have smurf wrs all over the field.

Worked last year.I dont care if they over 6 ft or not if they can run routes and catch the ball.

I would be happy if J Mathews,Antonio Richardson or Mewhort falls to us at 64

cover-2

Reaction score
I could get behind the selection of Cooks in the 1st round. I think Cooks could be fairly productive on our team for a rookie WR. Let him compete to be our KR/PR. I think with his quickness, speed, ability to run good routes, and work ethic he could get a lot of reps his rookie year on our team.

Here is a quick video of Brandin Cooks Pro Day,interesting to see a Kippy Brown (the Seahawks WR coach) working him out in the drills.
http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/03/brandin_cooks_wants_to_show_th.html

If you want to get a feel for Cooks personality or passion for the game (his interview he reminds me a lot of former Panthers WR Steve Smith), this is a good video after a game. When watching it, keep in mind he had 14 receptions for 141 yards in the game.
[youtube]5Ed39H_xLmo[/youtube]

Oregon St vs. Washington is a good game to get a look at him vs press coverage. Washington played a fair amount of press coverage and Cooks played against a future 1st round CB in Marcus Peters (jersey #21). He had mixed results vs press in this game. IMO if you line him up as the flanker then he has a chance to beat press coverage.
[youtube]s6nnUh6Reto[/youtube]

[youtube]sjNHpFNA6J0[/youtube]

two dog

Reaction score
I don't think you have to worry about Cooks being there at 64, he won't be there at 32.
If you want him, you're gonna have to trade up for him in the first.

Somebody is going to go all 'Raiders" over that speed. Plus he can actually catch the ball.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Looks like he returns punts too. As others have said I can't see him dropping to 32 never mind 64.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2z4tw0r4 said:
Looks like he returns punts too. As others have said I can't see him dropping to 32 never mind 64.

There are going to be a lot of guys that we don't see dropping to 32 that actually do so. Especially considering how teams have shored up some needs via the UFA process. A lot of needs have changed since the combine.

There will be 3 to 4 of the guys projected to be taken in the 20-30 range that will be available. Every year this happens and I expect it to be more pronounced this year considering the depth of talent available. A lot of guys that look like 18-25 overall on the hoof are going to be there simply because of the quantity of players that fit that profile.

jhern87

Reaction score
I like Cooks. I feel like a team is going to fall in love with his speed and draft him earlier than he should be though. Drafting Cooks and resigning Rice would really boost our receiving corps though.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":379ly281 said:
I have Cook to the NIners in the first right now.

I don't know if Cook really fits their past history at the position. Crabtree is kinda sorta a big WR, Boldin is a big receiver, Quinton Patton is kinda sorta a big receiver, their 2012 first round bust was a tall WR, and then they traded him for another tall WR. When Seattle whiffed on a 231 pound WR who played up to his awful tape, SF was the first team to catch him.

Makes sense for them to add speed, but how much can you expect to hurt the LOB with a skinny midget speed guy? Tavon Austin had a couple nice games last year, but they weren't against Seattle.

Personally, I would love to be wrong and see the 49ers burn a high pick on Cook. I think Cook is the most over-rated WR in the draft. So small, so easy to bully, so dangerous to target unless he's wide open. He's not the best with contested throws. WRs at his bulk usually do not stay healthy either. He reminds me so much of Deon Butler.

pcbball12

Reaction score
kearly":38zacjl1 said:
Scottemojo":38zacjl1 said:
I have Cook to the NIners in the first right now.

I don't know if Cook really fits their past history at the position. Crabtree is kinda sorta a big WR, Boldin is a big receiver, Quinton Patton is kinda sorta a big receiver, their 2012 first round bust was a tall WR, and then they traded him for another tall WR. When Seattle whiffed on a 231 pound WR who played up to his awful tape, SF was the first team to catch him.

Makes sense for them to add speed, but how much can you expect to hurt the LOB with a skinny midget speed guy? Tavon Austin had a couple nice games last year, but they weren't against Seattle.

Personally, I would love to be wrong and see the 49ers burn a high pick on Cook. I think Cook is the most over-rated WR in the draft. So small, so easy to bully, so dangerous to target unless he's wide open. He's not the best with contested throws. WRs at his bulk usually do not stay healthy either. He reminds me so much of Deon Butler.
I too would not worry about Cooks being on the niners, but it is not because I don't think he is a good player. It is because I think our secondary is too good to be gashed by a player like him.

I do not agree with your player comparison or evaluation of Cooks. He actually goes up and gets the ball well for a player his size, not quite on the level of a Steve Smith but it is close. He is more than a Deion Butler in my opinion.