Two left field seahawk type picks in the first round.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I expect only playmakers will warrant a first round pick from Seattle. top WR's are gone so maybe they go with the playmakers on the other side of the ball. Older or expensive players on the D-line like Red,Clemons and Avril will need to be replaced now or in the near future. I think the D-line overhaul quietly started last year with Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams. This year they could look to add a edge rusher in the first round if a highly rated seahawk prospect drops becuase of the mass run on WR's. How the Seahawks rate a player has nothing to do with the media mock drafts so these two players have measurables or ability that is overlooked by media but not by Seattle. So you will probably not find these two mocked to the seahawks anywhere in the first round.

Kareem Martin,DE,N. Carolina- 6'5, 272 lbs,10' hands, and 35' inch arms Martin's size is impressive. Martin is best suited for LDE in a 4-3 . Kareem Martin also has the experience to slide inside, use his length, and shoot gaps as a DT in passing situations. Kareem Martin could be M. Bennett with better length if Bennett leaves or would make a killer pairing on passing downs if he stays. Martin is a little lean but Martin is not weak and his body could add weight without losing speed and agility. Kareem Martin is a more athletic and polished Jason Jones.

Kareem Martin Combine numbers:
40- 4.72
B-Jump-10'8
3-cone- 7.20

Dee Ford,DE/OLB,Auburn- 6'2, 252 lbs, 10'1/4 inch hands, and a 32' 3/4' inch arms. Ford has the explosive speed that Seattle covets in its edge rushers and when I look at Dee Ford's game I see Cliff Avril, who is thriving in Seattle's scheme. If Ford could come in and do a good Cliff Avril impression on 3rd down for the next four years on a rookie contract it would be well worth the pick.

Dee Ford Pro Day Numbers:
40- 4.53
Bench- 29
B-Jump- 10'4

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Dee Ford probably won't make it to 32..... I like him though.

sutz

Reaction score
Kareem Martin,DE,N. Carolina- 6'5, 272 lbs,10' hands, and 35' inch arms Martin's size is impressive. Martin is best suited for LDE in a 4-3 . Kareem Martin also has the experience to slide inside, use his length, and shoot gaps as a DT in passing situations. Kareem Martin could be M. Bennett with better length if Bennett leaves or would make a killer pairing on passing downs if he stays. Martin is a little lean but Martin is not weak and his body could add weight without losing speed and agility. Kareem Martin is a more athletic and polished Jason Jones.
Wouldn't 10' hands affect his balance a bit?

:twisted:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
sutz":2fur39iu said:
Wouldn't 10' hands affect his balance a bit?

:twisted:

No he's got 35' arms so he's good.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm expecting Seattle to address pass rush in free agency. There are some excellent options out there.

Dee Ford is a good player, and I think he'd fit nicely in a O'Brien Schofield type role. But he is probably too undersized to be an every down DE. 6'2", 251 with 32 3/4 inch arms on the low end in the NFL. I think if he is there Seattle would consider him, just for the value and the rarity of the opportunity for a pass rusher like him. But I think in Seattle he would probably be a situational/rotational player like Schofield was.

sutz

Reaction score
kearly":yt3g5ka2 said:
I'm expecting Seattle to address pass rush in free agency. There are some excellent options out there.

Dee Ford is a good player, and I think he'd fit nicely in a O'Brien Schofield type role. But he is probably too undersized to be an every down DE. 6'2", 251 with 32 3/4 inch arms on the low end in the NFL. I think if he is there Seattle would consider him, just for the value and the rarity of the opportunity for a pass rusher like him. But I think in Seattle he would probably be a situational/rotational player like Schofield was.
Aren't all of our pass rushers "situational/rotational?"

;)

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
At the combine, Kareem Martin had a 1.53 10-yard split. That's extremely impressive as 1.53 is the average for all CB's in the NFL. His was the fastest 10-yard split time of the entire DL group at the combine (and the 2-nd longest arms). He also had a 35.5 vert. and a 10'-9" broad jump which shows explosiveness. He put up great stats last year and played all over the DL. He just needs pro coaching.

I like him and he should be there at pick #64?
:49ersmall:

kearly

Reaction score
sutz":36fvpg8b said:
kearly":36fvpg8b said:

Aren't all of our pass rushers "situational/rotational?"

;)

No. Clemons was an every down guy from 2010 to 2012. In 2013, we were rotational because we had an embarrassment of riches and wanted to get everyone on the field.

Also, Schofield didn't see the field a ton. He was a rotational guy who was used mostly in our 3-4 type looks, so his usage was more specialized than most. If we get Ford it's possible we might need to construct specific defensive looks to make use of him which means he might only see a small number of snaps a game.

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3nx9nkxz said:
Both players R3-4 picks for me.

If Ford played OLB, he'd be an easy 1st round pick. 4.53 at 6'2" 251 pounds. Aaron Curry numbers almost on the button. And unlike Curry, Ford is actually a smart, competitive player with non-imaginary pass rush talent. I honestly wouldn't complain too much if we took him at #32, though I would be a little surprised.

Martin I agree. 1st round level tools, but UDFA type tape. Not a natural at all, at a position where natural talent is crucial. Middle rounds is probably fair.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The thing that really put me off Ford was the tape vs Alabama and Texas A&M.

The 'Bama tight end handled him all game. He was anonymous. A really, really quiet game against a top opponent.

Cedric Ogbuehi had him on toast against A&M until the last two plays in the game with Johnny Manziel pressing like crazy and putting himself in trouble. Ford got a couple of cheap sacks, but was handled apart from that.

Ford didn't do any linebacker drills at the Senior Bowl. He sees himself as a pure DE. And for that position, I'll pass.

Bob McGinn's scouting notes are always interesting. Here's the link, and here's what his sources say about Ford:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... 32851.html

"I don't think he'll be a great rusher but I think he'll be pretty solid. Everybody needs rushers." Not all scouts think he's athletic enough to stand up. "Just a little guy that's not a special pass rusher," another scout said."

I think he'll get over drafted because of the first remark, and he'll up playing like the second scout projects.

McGruff

Reaction score
Martin is a cool prospect, but he's a mid to late round guy. He's got a good first step and some scheme versatility, but he doesn't get skinny in the gap like Bennett.

Ford would be a Seahawk if he's still on the board. All the measurables, good production, very competitive and not afraid to talk trash.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Ford will suck as a hand in the dirt pass rusher. But as a stand up guy he could be pretty good. He needs to go to a 3-4 team or a team that has a spot for a 3-4 OLB type role.

Personally, I would rather just keep Schofield especially if the price is low. But I could envision Ford being a minor star in the NFL if used right.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3r228952 said:
good production

20.5 sacks in 5 years with Auburn.

Half of that came in his final season as a redshirt senior.

Another note on Ford -- he didn't work out at the combine because teams were worried about an issue relating to a previously suffered herniated disk.

That's a concern.

drrew

Reaction score
My off the wall picks would be Courtney Roby or Ryan Shazier. Neither are position of need, but they're both athletic freaks.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
kearly":2twocy9o said:
I think Ford will suck as a hand in the dirt pass rusher. But as a stand up guy he could be pretty good. He needs to go to a 3-4 team or a team that has a spot for a 3-4 OLB type role.

Personally, I would rather just keep Schofield especially if the price is low. But I could envision Ford being a minor star in the NFL if used right.

I don't think he would used as a LEO but standing up like Cliff Avril usually does.

cover-2

Reaction score
Kareem Martin was a player that I was highly intrigued with at the begging of this past college football season. I loved his length as a DE, but when I watched him he was not a high motor guy. On too many occasions it just looked like he gave up on plays way too quickly. Great college production, great size & length, but I have big concerns about his motor and his love for the game.