Is bench press the wonderlic of athletic testing?

kearly

Reaction score
I do not think the wonderlic is a completely worthless test. It reveals how hard working a player is, because those that prepare well for the test and paid attention in classes are very likely to avoid ultra low scores. I could care less if a QB scores a 21 on the wonderlic or a 49. But if a QB scores a 7, then I wonder just a little about how committed he is during the most important offseason of his life. Wonderlic isn't really useful as a measurement, but it can be useful to spotlight players with certain attitude issues if the scores are extremely low. I'm in the minority though, many people put very real stock in the wonderlic test, as though it matters if a guy scores 35 instead of 25. One famous and popular QB formula even distinguishes between a guy who scores a 25 or a 26 on the test.

In the same sense, I think we put too much into bench press. If you look at the all time combine leaderboard at bench press, most of the best performers never even made a 53 man roster, and most of the remaining ones never made a pro-bowl.

The strongest player I have seen in years, Red Bryant, managed only 20 reps on the bench press. How could Bryant be so strong with such a low bench? Because- especially in the trenches- most power is generated from the hamstrings, gluts, and core muscles; things NFL teams do not test for at the combine. Pectoral and arm strength might partially dictate the success of a swim move, but it will have very little to do with a drive block or anchoring.

Additionally, I believe just as there is a difference between track speed and field speed, there is a difference between gym strength and playing strength. And of course arm length impacts bench press efficiency, though that is generally accounted for already.

Point being, I think if a guy looks really strong on tape but doesn't rock the bench press, I would trust the tape, unless he was playing for Division II or something. I would only heed the bench press if it is excessively low, and even then, I would make sure the participant wasn't hurt or sick when testing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Bench favors guys with short arms. Football generally favors long arms and core strength. It isn't worth that much

ruffENrowdy

Reaction score
Bench press has always been overrated. If they want to test on explosion or athletic ability, why not change it to a power clean?

McGruff

Reaction score
I know our scouts prefer arm length, hand size and agility testing for all players, vertical for skill players and broad jump for linemen. I think they favor the broad because it really reveals lower body strength, which is where real line power comes from.

McGruff

Reaction score
ruffENrowdy":gycrm42d said:
Bench press has always been overrated. If they want to test on explosion or athletic ability, why not change it to a power clean?

Risk of significant back and knee injury.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I was all set to make a long drawn out case for the bench press meaning something and then I looked up Robert Quinns bench. He had 24 reps. I guess it is meaningless.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
JJ watt has 34 and Ndamukong Suh had 32.

Not saying I think the Bench means anything, as I think squats would be the best gauge of full body strength.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Don't think it means as much as lower body and core strength. Without a strong core and lower body it doesn't matter how strong you upper body is, you're going to get pushed back by the guy with better balance/who can get a lower c.o.g./more push and drive from the legs. Having a strong upper body is just icing on the cake.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I think the bench numbers shows upper body strength/power and it matters for different positions in my opinion. I think interior lineman need that stout base to anchor over strong a upper body. Pass rushers or O-tackles you would hope to have better bench numbers to hand fight rushing or protecting the passer and its the potential to impose their will early on in their careers. WR's or secondary players it does'nt really matter what their bench is but it would be a plus if I was scouting a player.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Wenhawk":jryzfuph said:
JJ watt has 34 and Ndamukong Suh had 32.

Not saying I think the Bench means anything, as I think squats would be the best gauge of full body strength.

And Robert Quinn had 24.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the same strength trainer is with the Broncos, but in the 90s and early 2000, he didn't allow them to bench. He called it a lazy mans workout.

sc85sis

Reaction score
kearly":2vx9pjhb said:
I do not think the wonderlic is a completely worthless test. It reveals how hard working a player is, because those that prepare well for the test and paid attention in classes are very likely to avoid ultra low scores. I could care less if a QB scores a 21 on the wonderlic or a 49. But if a QB scores a 7, then I wonder just a little about how committed he is during the most important offseason of his life. Wonderlic isn't really useful as a measurement, but it can be useful to spotlight players with certain attitude issues if the scores are extremely low. I'm in the minority though, many people put very real stock in the wonderlic test, as though it matters if a guy scores 35 instead of 25. One famous and popular QB formula even distinguishes between a guy who scores a 25 or a 26 on the test.

In the same sense, I think we put too much into bench press. If you look at the all time combine leaderboard at bench press, most of the best performers never even made a 53 man roster, and most of the remaining ones never made a pro-bowl.

The strongest player I have seen in years, Red Bryant, managed only 20 reps on the bench press. How could Bryant be so strong with such a low bench? Because- especially in the trenches- most power is generated from the hamstrings, gluts, and core muscles; things NFL teams do not test for at the combine. Pectoral and arm strength might partially dictate the success of a swim move, but it will have very little to do with a drive block or anchoring.

Additionally, I believe just as there is a difference between track speed and field speed, there is a difference between gym strength and playing strength. And of course arm length impacts bench press efficiency, though that is generally accounted for already.

Point being, I think if a guy looks really strong on tape but doesn't rock the bench press, I would trust the tape, unless he was playing for Division II or something. I would only heed the bench press if it is excessively low, and even then, I would make sure the participant wasn't hurt or sick when testing.
Chris Carlisle would agree with you. He has said if there were ever a bench off at the 50 yard line he'd train guys to win that, but for now he'll train them for football movement.

http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/upl ... ainUSC.pdf

justafan

Reaction score
I look at the bench press as a way to gauge how much time they put in the weight room.You might be able to gauge a players work ethic.Gms and coaches will still go back to the tape to see if it matches what they see in the testing,whether its weights or 40 times.
But I still think it has a place in the testing and evaluating

Hawks46

Reaction score
McGruff":1g1j5vbu said:
I know our scouts prefer arm length, hand size and agility testing for all players, vertical for skill players and broad jump for linemen. I think they favor the broad because it really reveals lower body strength, which is where real line power comes from.

Broad jump is a good measure of explosiveness. Vertical jump is also another good indicator. A really good example would be Christine Michael vs. Robert Turbin. They both had a virtually indentical 40 time, but Michael has a 6" higher vertical jump (I don't remember braod jump but I'd bet it's more as well). You can see the difference on the football field; if Turbin gets past the line, he can really gouge a defense, but he rarely gets through clean because he dosn't get up to speed quickly enough.

Justafan beat me to it, but I've read where the theory on bench press is more of an indicator of work ethic. I've never read a scouting report on a player that indicates the scout feels a player will excel because of a very high bench press score, but I have read people wondering about very low bench scores, and it's wondering if they have a good work ethic in the gym.

The only thing I can think of that bench press might help on the football field is the OLman punch in pass pro where they try to knock a DLman off his stride and disrupt his pass rush.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The only thing it is really useful for is to see if the player has functional strength, i.e.: Can he lift w/in a range? It probably is a slightly overrated test but so is the 40 for lots of positions. There are a few other tests that could test strength, there are also other tests that can measure function speed. I think the teams like the bench press b/c it tends to uncover those not so committed to weight room work or those with recovering shoulder, pec, or triceps injuries. Too bad HTH is not allowed b/c of the injury risk.

Ultimately the SPARQ testing method with medicine balls over a series of exercises might test functional strength better than the linear approach of repetitive straight lifting. I rather prefer the short shuttle to the the 40 as it tests useful speed. There is however something simple and sexy to both the bench and 40 yd tests their unity may be dubious though.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
To sum it all up this is why they do all the tests they do at the combine. This is why all the GMs in the nfl show up to the combine. This is why people that say the combine is worthless are beyond dumb.

They take in account for who has long arms and the reps they do so that doesn't even matter. There is a big chart with conversions for height in most gyms for what you should be benching.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Dave Wyman said recently that the bench is completely useless as a talent evaluator by itself. To prove his point he said that he was always able to bench more than Tez.