2014 WR Draft Class Comparison

lukerguy

Reaction score
There's more comparisons this year that jump out to me than in many other years, so I'm going to share my top 10 and give the best comparison I see currently in the NFL.

1) Sammy Watkins---- Torrey Smith (Though I think Watkins is a bit more dynamic, they have a whole lot of YAC similarities and good hands. Watkins is a better route runner).
2) Mike Evans------ Vincent Jackson (This one is too easy.)
3) Odell Beckham Jr. ---- Victor Cruz (No way OBJ makes it out of the first round in my opinion. He's too dynamic and could jump into almost any starting lineup).
4) Marqise Lee---Pierre Garcon (Sneaky speed...similar route running- I like the comparison; however I think Lee has the opportunity to be the best player to come out of this draft. He would have been a top 5 pick had he come out last year.)
5) Brandin Cooks----Antonio Brown
6) Allen Robinson--- Keenan Allen (This one is easy too)
7) Jordan Matthews---Terrence Williams
8) Kelvin Benjamin----Big Mike Williams. (I don't think to highly of benjamin. He's a bit of a body catcher and prone to drops, and he will be the fastest this year that he will ever be in his life.)
9)Davante Adams--- Michael Crabtree
10) Martavis Bryant---Rod Streater

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Abbrederis reminds me of a smaller Larry Fitz/Jerry Rice. In no way am I saying he'll be either of those two, but he is just such a tremendous route runner, like way way better than anyone else (watch some of his games this year, he is WIDE open about 15 times a game). He also has fantastic hands and plus athleticism. I would put him at third in this class, behind only Watkins and Evans, both who I think are higher risk but special talents. Abby isn't going to break games open like those two could, but I see him as the type to get 6-9 catches for 80-100 yds with regularity. I have such a hard on for that guy.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
No one jumps out immediately, but perhaps a slot receiver like Harry Douglas who thrives in the slot. Good route runner, and dangerous in space.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Donte Moncrief - Josh Gordon. Big guy with a lot of speed with game-changing ability. Needs work on route running.

randomation

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":eg6oqhfy said:
Abbrederis reminds me of a smaller Larry Fitz/Jerry Rice. In no way am I saying he'll be either of those two, but he is just such a tremendous route runner, like way way better than anyone else (watch some of his games this year, he is WIDE open about 15 times a game). He also has fantastic hands and plus athleticism. I would put him at third in this class, behind only Watkins and Evans, both who I think are higher risk but special talents. Abby isn't going to break games open like those two could, but I see him as the type to get 6-9 catches for 80-100 yds with regularity. I have such a hard on for that guy.

Trust me I know how open he is I watched stave overthrow him 5 plus times a game /slams head into desk.

kearly

Reaction score
Good stuff. My 2 cents:

1) Sammy Watkins---- Julio Jones. Won't blow you away with size but has very good speed and awesome tape.
2) Mike Evans------ Vincent Jackson. Ditto.
3) Odell Beckham Jr. ---- Golden Tate. Very similar measurables and skillsets.
4) Marqise Lee--- Bobby Engram. Engram was faster than his average-ish forty time as a young player and was an elite level route runner.
5) Brandin Cooks----Deon Butler. Similar everything.
6) Allen Robinson--- Keenan Allen. Ditto.
7) Jordan Matthews--- A blend of Aaron Dobson and Marlon Brown. Not a bad player, maybe he grows into being league average, but kinda soft. Tim Ruskell would love this guy, but then again Tim Ruskell was good in this draft range.
8.) Kelvin Benjamin----Big Mike Williams or Alshon Jeffery. Not a fan but his upside is undeniable.
9)Davante Adams--- Michael Crabtree. Ditto.
10) Martavis Bryant---Stephen Hill. Almost identical measurements and testing, similarly inexperienced and non-productive in college. All potential, nothing else. Exciting though.

Regarding Moncrief, I think if PC polishes him up he could be a lot like a bargain bin Demaryius Thomas. He's not a guy you draft with 2014 in mind, however.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Based on the 10 comparisons, only ones I'd want that we'd have a shot at are Robinson and Adams.

kearly

Reaction score
Throwdown":2xymxo8h said:
Based on the 10 comparisons, only ones I'd want that we'd have a shot at are Robinson and Adams.

Screw reality. Watkins and Evans for me. It's nice to dream.

Of the 2nd tier options the best are easily Robinson and Beckham, but would Robinson fit Seattle's profile (IMO, no), and would it be wise to let Tate go for a moderate contract and use a first on Beckham to replace him? (IMO, no).

I like Moncrief a lot at #64. He is the perfect fit, even his weaknesses fit what Seattle's coaching staff excels at fixing. But if we are looking for a 2014 contribution guy who fits our need for a big WR, we should probably pay through the nose for Evans.

randomation

Reaction score
kearly":983jeqgj said:
Throwdown":983jeqgj said:

Of the 2nd tier options the best are easily Robinson and Beckham, but would Robinson fit Seattle's profile (IMO, no), and would it be wise to let Tate go for a moderate contract and use a first on Beckham to replace him? (IMO, no).

I like Moncrief a lot at #64. He is the perfect fit, even his weaknesses fit what Seattle's coaching staff excels at fixing. But if we are looking for a 2014 contribution guy who fits our need for a big WR, we should probably pay through the nose for Evans.

Really really want to trade up for evans even though it will never happen :(

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
kearly":106ig2az said:
Good stuff. My 2 cents:

1) Sammy Watkins---- Julio Jones. Won't blow you away with size but has very good speed and awesome tape.
2) Mike Evans------ Vincent Jackson. Ditto.
3) Odell Beckham Jr. ---- Golden Tate. Very similar measurables and skillsets.
4) Marqise Lee--- Bobby Engram. Engram was faster than his average-ish forty time as a young player and was an elite level route runner.
5) Brandin Cooks----Deon Butler. Similar everything.
6) Allen Robinson--- Keenan Allen. Ditto.
7) Jordan Matthews--- A blend of Aaron Dobson and Marlon Brown. Not a bad player, maybe he grows into being league average, but kinda soft. Tim Ruskell would love this guy, but then again Tim Ruskell was good in this draft range.
8.) Kelvin Benjamin----Big Mike Williams or Alshon Jeffery. Not a fan but his upside is undeniable.
9)Davante Adams--- Michael Crabtree. Ditto.
10) Martavis Bryant---Stephen Hill. Almost identical measurements and testing, similarly inexperienced and non-productive in college. All potential, nothing else. Exciting though.

Regarding Moncrief, I think if PC polishes him up he could be a lot like a bargain bin Demaryius Thomas. He's not a guy you draft with 2014 in mind, however.

I agree on Watkins/Jones- only reason I didn't pick was height, but in everything else he is a Julio clone.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd trade this year's 1st and next year's 1st & 3rd for Evans. Not sure that would be enough. I wonder if we resign Tate could we use Baldwin in a trade package. I wonder if Carpenter gas any trade value? We'd have to give up a lot to get into the 10-15 range to get Evans.

General Manager

Reaction score
This FO hasn't taken a WR in the first round yet but this year there will be some intriguing WR's still on the board so there's a descent chance they will.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
General Manager":hezr2crz said:
This FO hasn't taken a WR in the first round yet but this year there will be some intriguing WR's still on the board so there's a descent chance they will.

Technically true, but they did trade last year's first round pick for a WR.

General Manager

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2pg8lko6 said:
General Manager":2pg8lko6 said:

Technically true, but they did trade last year's first round pick for a WR.

Yes they have been active in FA bringing in WR's with more money paid than production so I think they look to find a good one in the draft. Tate is likely gone Rice is gone and Harvin is not likely to play 16 games so they need a WR .

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I just watched some of Devin Streets tape and he's seems like a solid 4th round pick. At 6'3 198lbs he might seem a little thin but i don't imagine it would be hard on an NFL diet and workout regimen he couldn't add 10lbs in few months. He seemed to have very good body control, he reminded me a lot of Baldwin the way he catch things thrown low, behind him, and on the sideline, but was able to make some nice catches even when he was cover tightly and battling for the ball.

There is so much talent at WR this year and we have enough open spots at WR I wouldn't mind if we took a few big WR's in the mid round instead of one at #32 or #64.

If we could get Coleman and Street in the 4th and 5th I think i'd be just as happy as if we got Matthews, Moncrief, or Robinson in the 2nd.

I'd like to hear what others see in Street.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
kearly":336phwfu said:
Throwdown":336phwfu said:

His weakness is not catching the football well.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":18wx91nl said:
I just watched some of Devin Streets tape and he's seems like a solid 4th round pick. At 6'3 198lbs he might seem a little thin but i don't imagine it would be hard on an NFL diet and workout regimen he couldn't add 10lbs in few months. He seemed to have very good body control, he reminded me a lot of Baldwin the way he catch things thrown low, behind him, and on the sideline, but was able to make some nice catches even when he was cover tightly and battling for the ball.

There is so much talent at WR this year and we have enough open spots at WR I wouldn't mind if we took a few big WR's in the mid round instead of one at #32 or #64.

If we could get Coleman and Street in the 4th and 5th I think i'd be just as happy as if we got Matthews, Moncrief, or Robinson in the 2nd.

I'd like to hear what others see in Street.

I've been banging on about Street for a while now. I'd love to pick him up with our 4th. Quick, big and played the slot at Pitt, picking up a third of their receiving yards despite being injured towards the end of the year.

Off field issues pose a question (IIRC Assault?) and may affect his drafting.

As far as comparisons go I see some Terrance Williams.

hawksman53

Reaction score
9)Davante Adams--- Michael Crabtree = ME DI OC RE, Give me Brandon Coleman DAMN IT!!!

cover-2

Reaction score
hawksman53":15dwpn9e said:
9)Davante Adams--- Michael Crabtree = ME DI OC RE, Give me Brandon Coleman DAMN IT!!!

Brandon Coleman = James Hardy (similar size and speed) Hardy was a 2nd round bust, out of the NFL after 4 years.