Wilson,Cousins, Kaepernick effect

chris98251

Reaction score
Saw this comment posted on PFT.

“I think you can find quarterbacks in the second round and the third round,

Speilman Vikings GM throwing smoke or not adding, Glennon to this mix as well.

Are teams looking at QB's differently again, more about what is in the head and leadership then pure athletic measureables?

Subzero717

Reaction score
Smoke screen??? Although I will say I think the "big three" arent locks to go as high as some think. That would push Carr and a few others down. I also think them signing Cassel to the deal they did indicates he might be telling the truth. Ponder probably out at this point.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1keumnuk said:

Are teams looking at QB's differently again, more about what is in the head and leadership then pure athletic measureables?

I feel it's a bit early to tell if this is the case or not. It will be interesting to see if the other teams pull their heads out and draft on more than just athleticism the next couple years as the last draft was status quo.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2kmqi0d0 said:
Smoke screen??? Although I will say I think the "big three" arent locks to go as high as some think. That would push Carr and a few others down. I also think them signing Cassel to the deal they did indicates he might be telling the truth. Ponder probably out at this point.

I say smoke screen as in talking later rounds and moving up and or jumping on a first rounder.

Remember the Vikings try to get cute a lot and it can bite them in the ass as it has draft day with late to the podium and some of the contracts and handling of players have thinking they have them over a barrell or over paying.

Subzero717

Reaction score
chris98251":3t6cs6f3 said:
CALIHAWK1":3t6cs6f3 said:

I say smoke screen as in talking later rounds and moving up and or jumping on a first rounder.

Remember the Vikings try to get cute a lot and it can bite them in the ass as it has draft day with late to the podium and some of the contracts and handling of players have thinking they have them over a barrell or over paying.

I dont think teams are viewing QBs differently. Its the most important position on the field. He may feel that there isnt a big difference between the "big three" as opposed to Carr, the kid from Cornell or whatever Illinois Garopolo is from. I think the fact no one can pick one above the other may prove that.

In Speilmans case, because he from my point of view has made so many blunders who knows. Zimmer may want to build the defense up and look for a QB next year? Norv is there and Cassel can do what he asks.

The one thing to remember about the three QBs mentioned they all have great defenses and arent asked to do a lot in every game. In Wilsons case had he been 6'3" Kiper himself said he would have been the third pick in the draft that year.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
chris98251":36bfwb1k said:

Only one of those mentioned is Elite.

randomation

Reaction score
There may be a very good qb available in the 2nd round this year as well, how about this for a scenario Houston trades down to 10 picks up a bunch of picks and gets Evans from a team desperate for their specific qb and then grabs Garoppolo with the first pick in the 2nd. Interestingly Harbaugh apparently spent a decent amount of time talking with him as well 45 mins or so.

Subzero717

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":35nyei7k said:
chris98251":35nyei7k said:

Only one of those mentioned is Elite.

Who?

Subzero717

Reaction score
randomation":3ddc2rwm said:
Not Kaep, Not Cousins and Not Glennon who is left :p

I knew and Im as big a homer as there is and I'm saying lets pump the brakes on the elite talk.

kearly

Reaction score
I believe it. Jacksonville signed back Henne and Minny signed back Cassel, and neither one was on a bargain contract.

There isn't a ton of difference between Teddy Bridgewater and Mike Garoppolo (I think both are 1st round caliber prospects), but the latter might go early 2nd round. I could see a lot of teams planning a draft around Sammy Watkins high in the first and then take Garoppolo high in the second to throw to him. Would be a great draft plan, actually.

Mettenberger has his fans too. McCarron in the 4th wouldn't be the worst pick in the world for a team that wants to win with defense. Lots of depth at QB this year.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":2lifb3bk said:
I believe it. Jacksonville signed back Henne and Minny signed back Cassel, and neither one was on a bargain contract.

There isn't a ton of difference between Teddy Bridgewater and Mike Garoppolo (I think both are 1st round caliber prospects), but the latter might go early 2nd round. I could see a lot of teams planning a draft around Sammy Watkins high in the first and then take Garoppolo high in the second to throw to him. Would be a great draft plan, actually.

Mettenberger has his fans too. McCarron in the 4th wouldn't be the worst pick in the world for a team that wants to win with defense. Lots of depth at QB this year.

Totally agree about Bridgewater (etc). This is why I'd go Robinson with that 1st pick. I also agree with Spellman. Good protection, a running game and a D that creates turnovers (while limiting pts) allows good QBs to become VERY good QBs.

Cousins didn't have enough time (or supporting cast) to really show what he has so I'd replace his name with Foles. Other than Luck, with the jury still out on Tannehill (IMO), the 2012 first day QBs have been less than impressive (Yes, I'm lookin' at you Griffin).

mikeak

Reaction score
chris98251":25fq9s6i said:

The correct statement should be - you SHOULD be able to find qb's in the second and third round but stupid organizations like the Vikings trade up and take Ponder at 10th instead of second round....

justafan

Reaction score
You can find a franchise QB later in the draft but these players are the exception to the rules.Just like Brady or Warner were.
You have to be extremely lucky to get a franchise QB anyplace in the draft but like all positions the lower the draft pick the higher the failure rate usually is.

aawolf

Reaction score
The more I look at these QBs, the more I think that Bridgewater is the best prospect and most clear pro-ready QB in the draft. I'm not saying Manzeil or Bortles won't make it, but I see Bridgewater as being more successful his first year. I wouldn't waste a top five pick on any QB except Bridgewater. Manzeil has too many question marks and I don't see his magic working as well when he's not playing with an All-American offensive line and he doesn't have as much time to scramble. Bortles seems safer, but he's not the playmaker that Bridgewater is.