Brent Urban

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Whats the deal with him? Lots of hype early on but seems his stock is dropping?

Is he going to be there at 64?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Honestly, outside of just a couple sites, I've not seen him rated higher than a 4th round pick. He could be there when we pick in the 4th and that wouldn't be a stretch.

The truth is, this is a very deep draft with players that actually produced. Urban in a normal year could be a fringe 2nd/3rd round talent. But there are probably 40 players this year that are going to have a much more 'safe' profile. Urban is pretty much a potential guy. Those guys are going to be all over the board in the late 4th through 6th rounds.

I wouldn't say he's slipping. I'd say he never really was a likely day 2 guy to begin with. I know Rob is high on him, and actually I like him too but not at 64. That high opinion is very much not shared by many. Pauline and Staton have him in the top 64. Rob thinks he'll be a first round possibility. I haven't made up my mind on him.

The main problem is, a lot of the tape you see of him he's lined up at the 1, 0 and 3 technique. And I'm not a huge fan of his on the inside. He has long legs and clearly has a high center of mass. He gets cut pretty easily, and gets turned from the hole regularly. He doesn't excel at the inside and appears to have been misplayed.

And Staton/Pauline are rating him as a DE. Which I would say he should be seen as that. He isn't really quick, like an Avril or Clemons. IMO, he's not a LEO end candidate. He has good size but it seems distributed in his upper trunk/shoulders. Great arm length and length in general. Probably could be a solid 5 technique guy. Has some ability to slip blocks which if he's lined up outside the tackle, that should come into play. He didn't perform at the combine. He kind of looks like a 5.0 kind of guy on tape. His athleticism is questionable as a pass rusher. Pro day needs to show something that we're not seeing on tape. Mainly because of the way he was cast. But also the fact he doesn't pop on tape either.

I don't see day 2 talent when I see him. But I also see a great potential guy. If the draft wasn't so deep, I would be ok with a 3rd round estimation on him. But I see him pushed down a full round based on the quality of tape that a lot of 3rd round grade guys possess. His production is frankly awful. I don't see a guy who is going to get sacks. And I don't see a guy who pressures the passer very well either.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Urban reminds me of Igor Olshansky. Big and Tall DT who was a decent starter at the NFL level.