Top five positions of need

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I know Schneider likes to say it's all about taking the best available player, but which positions do you personally see as the greatest needs in this draft?

1. Offensive tackle
2. Wide receiver, preferably a SE
3. Five-technique DE
4. Guard
5. LEO

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Interior OL by a significant margin, followed by a #1 WR.

drdevin

Reaction score
1. OT
2. WR
3. OG
3. S
4. DT

Our weakess positional group has to be the Oline for next year both in talent and qantity.

To have this as a weak point and then realize that this is the Seahawks bread n butter is a concern of mine. We need more talented big uglies.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't see any position other than X receiver that is in need.

And truthfully, I don't see that position as a deal breaker for us. We could just as easily patch that with a combination of a generic UFA and Kearse.

More than position need, I see 2015 cap need to be more important at this point. I'd rate these in terms of relative need:

Top priorities:

OT (someone who can man LT for when Okung is out)
WR (someone to fill X receiver) Can be just depth
LEO Successor to Avril ('15)
WR (Z/Slot) Kearse successor ('15), Baldwin successor ('15)
OG Successor to Carpenter ('15). Bonus if he can be both this and backup LT
LB Successor to Wright ('15) and/or Malcolm Smith ('15)
DB Successor to Maxwell ('15) or contingency if we can't resign both Maxwell and Sherman ('15)
S Someone that can be closer to what Earl is. He goes down our scheme falls apart

There are a TON of guys that hit UFA in 2015. Avril is a contract that will be tough to keep on the books. 2015 is going to be very brutal since we are going to have to extend Wilson then. If we extend Wilson and resign/tag Sherman -- then it's likely that everyone else on this '15 list has to go. Certainly I don't see Avril coming back after his contract expires.

We need way more than just the mild 'wants' we have in front of our faces in 2014. We have to get 2015 talent this year.

I fully expect this draft to address 2015 needs. The mild needs of 2014 aren't crippling. We are going to take huge hits in 2015 and we have to start preparing for that eventuality this year.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1s7b33yb said:
I don't see any position other than X receiver that is in need.

And truthfully, I don't see that position as a deal breaker for us. We could just as easily patch that with a combination of a generic UFA and Kearse.

More than position need, I see 2015 cap need to be more important at this point. I'd rate these in terms of relative need:

Top priorities:

OT (someone who can man LT for when Okung is out)
WR (someone to fill X receiver) Can be just depth
LEO Successor to Avril ('15)
WR (Z/Slot) Kearse successor ('15), Baldwin successor ('15)
OG Successor to Carpenter ('15). Bonus if he can be both this and backup LT
LB Successor to Wright ('15) and/or Malcolm Smith ('15)
DB Successor to Maxwell ('15) or contingency if we can't resign both Maxwell and Sherman ('15)
S Someone that can be closer to what Earl is. He goes down our scheme falls apart

There are a TON of guys that hit UFA in 2015. Avril is a contract that will be tough to keep on the books. 2015 is going to be very brutal since we are going to have to extend Wilson then. If we extend Wilson and resign/tag Sherman -- then it's likely that everyone else on this '15 list has to go. Certainly I don't see Avril coming back after his contract expires.

We need way more than just the mild 'wants' we have in front of our faces in 2014. We have to get 2015 talent this year.

I fully expect this draft to address 2015 needs. The mild needs of 2014 aren't crippling. We are going to take huge hits in 2015 and we have to start preparing for that eventuality this year.

You forgot that we need a successor to Brandon Mebane. Justin Ellis please.

justafan

Reaction score
I would add olb in the top 5 just to have a replacement in the wings when Smith and Wrights contract comes up in 15.Just in case

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Number 1 based on need IMO. Someone to kick field goals. We don't have that person

kearly

Reaction score
1. Dangerous playmaker WR with size (or a Vernon Davis type TE, which doesn't exist in this draft)
2. OL (more flexibility the better)
3. LEO (barring a Jared Allen signing)
4. Run-stuffer DT with TFL ability. (Mebane and McDaniel turn 30 this season)
5. TE who can catch and block.

6. Fast LB (Wright, Smith FA after next season)
7. FS depth for Earl
8. Kicker, if Hauschka isn't kept.
9. Big corners, because we always stockpile them.
10. Backup QB. Not a need, but there are a few very good ones who could be had at bargain prices this year.

titan3131

Reaction score
1. Brandin Cooks
2. Cyrus K
4. Jordan matthews/ Martavus bryant / OR Brandon Coleman

future HOF Picks
5. DB
5. Leo

6. OL
7. De / LB

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
BPA is the way to go, but there are positions of less need (K, P, RB, QB, LS, C)

I wouldn't be upset nor surprised to see any of the following positions drafted in any round (and in no particular order): DT, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, S, WR, TE, OT, OG. I think the Hawks are set at QB, but wouldn't be surprised to see them take a QB at some point. Just not early.

Having said all that, if I was pressed to pick the top five (but, a lower "need" could leapfrog another position if a Better Player was available at a particular position):

1. Offensive Lineman
2. Defensive Lineman
3. Wide Receiver
4. Linebacker
5. Defensive Back

jhern87

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":39beou9e said:
BPA is the way to go, but there are positions of less need (K, P, RB, QB, LS, C)

I wouldn't be upset nor surprised to see any of the following positions drafted in any round (and in no particular order): DT, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, S, WR, TE, OT, OG. I think the Hawks are set at QB, but wouldn't be surprised to see them take a QB at some point. Just not early.

Having said all that, if I was pressed to pick the top five (but, a lower "need" could leapfrog another position if a Better Player was available at a particular position):

1. Offensive Lineman
2. Defensive Lineman
3. Wide Receiver
4. Linebacker
5. Defensive Back

I actually expect more of our "needs" to be filled via free-agency. If not Jared Allen then someone else and I also expect a vet receiver or two to be signed to shore up that position. Offensive line is something I could see us targeting in the draft though. There seems to be several studs in this class that I think could rotate in next year to get experience on the fly.

I'm not as worried about DB and LB though. Our FO seems to have the ability to spot diamonds in the rough at these positions.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
jhern87":xzjldhuz said:
TeamoftheCentury":xzjldhuz said:

1. Offensive Lineman
2. Defensive Lineman
3. Wide Receiver
4. Linebacker
5. Defensive Back

I actually expect more of our "needs" to be filled via free-agency. If not Jared Allen then someone else and I also expect a vet receiver or two to be signed to shore up that position. Offensive line is something I could see us targeting in the draft though. There seems to be several studs in this class that I think could rotate in next year to get experience on the fly.

I'm not as worried about DB and LB though. Our FO seems to have the ability to spot diamonds in the rough at these positions.
I'm not worried about ANY position. The Hawks look pretty good as they stand now. I was merely entertaining the posed question in the OP... and said "if pressed" to give a "Top 5 positions of need" answer. Hope that clarifies. I didn't go into filling needs via free-agency or any of that. Only as the roster stands now. Sure, it would be great to sign Jared Allen or make some other reasonable splash. But, I could only reply to the post with the current roster.

Chawker

Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to thank our team for bringing home the first title to Seattle.
Needs hum....... well, with Golden Tate gone and Bradon Browner not returning, WR & CB will be on our list. I thought we needed another LBer last year, along with a solid DT. Offensivly, our line is a area that you can never have too much help. This draft is were John & Pete will shine, basically we have the first pick in the second round. Who's there and who falls? Positional ranking is as follows
WR
DE
CB
LB
OL
TE
Cheers

brimsalabim

Reaction score
So you guys think we are solid at center? I was thinking :

RT
WR
Center
TE
RT

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
brimsalabim":hi63vjzx said:
So you guys think we are solid at center? I was thinking :

RT
WR
Center
TE
RT
Unger is a Pro Bowl Center. LJP is arguably the best backup Center in the league. Not sure what others are thinking, but that's enough for me right there.

If a Center in the draft is the BPA when the Seahawks selection comes up and that guy can also play other positions along the line... then, sure. Still, I wouldn't categorize that as a position of need. But, I might argue the Hawks are not really in need of any particular position. That's why I initially answered... BPA. Ya never know what you might actually need and BPA is a better overall approach, imho, because it centers on acquiring best talent that may keep the roster more talented than other teams down the road instead of trying to force fit a player in terms of identifying which positions need to be bolstered. The approach the Seahawks take, I think, is a combination of both.