Davante Adams, WR, Fresno St.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Davante Adams 6'1 ,212 lbs, and and 32'inch arms. is a good athlete runs a 40 in the mid 4.5's,3-cone was 6.82, and most importantly IMO had a 39' inch vertical. 6'1,32' inch arms, and 39'inch vert Adams can high point the ball in any situation and could be a great complimentary reciever to Percy Harvin. Needs to get a bit stronger to be the X WR but could be a great Golden Tate replacement. Adams should be around at 32.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Adams is one of those guys you take if he's there at 64. Or trade back to the upper 40s and consider him with a pool of other options.

He's a pool of talent player. A guy worth considering. But really he's in that Moncrief/Matthews/Landry/Richardson/Robinson cluster of WRs.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I like him. Seems tailor made for the Seahawks offense. Wins fades, high points, catches away from the body. Gets in the endzone. Measurements kind of similar to Chris Harper, except Adams actually has good tape. Not sure about round 1, but I'd like to see this kid in a Seahawks uniform.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
131 receptions for 1718-yds, 13.1-yd. avg. & 24-TD's. The 24 TD's were the most of all the FBS receivers, next closest (at number 2) is Brandon Cooks with 16-TD's.

I would think those 24-TD's may mean this guy is "good" in the red zone even if he isn't 6'-5" tall.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think he plays bigger than 6'1". Had one of the best verticals at the combine and uses it in games.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
NFL.com said he's a poor man's Michael Crabtree. Which is alright i guess.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":jb55v7m4 said:
NFL.com said he's a poor man's Michael Crabtree. Which is alright i guess.
The word you're looking for is MEDIOCRE. :stirthepot:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I love Adams, but could see where a team would be afraid of taking him since that Fresno State offense was very friendly to both QB's and WR's

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Niners blow yadda yadda, but we'd be extremely lucky to get a receiver as good as Crabtree with our draft positioning.

Crabtree played in the Air Raid offense during it's heyday at Texas Tech. His skills still translated to the NFL.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":18eg27df said:
I like Adams and I think he made Carr look better than vise versa.

This is a point I'd support.

Also, I would raise the point, that while looking at these WRs, we have to remind ourselves that what we see on tape is governed by the offensive schemes of their college teams. A lot of criticisms are levied against some prospects because they get an inordinate number of bubble screens and short passes and are then considered limited in value as a result.

Receivers generally don't have much ability to dictate the style/scheme of the offense. Is their production inflated by these offenses? Sure. But they have to execute within their scheme. Several good prospects in this draft are hamstrung by the offenses they operated under. Cooks. Matthews. Adams. Robinson. Probably others as well. These guys just didn't have a lot of opportunities to show their appropriate skills for other kinds of schemes.

That doesn't mean that they can't do well in other schemes. You have to look at other attributes quite often with these players. Adams is athletic and shows good burst. Looks like he extends well for the ball.

Matthews has a hitch in his release that robs him of burst off the line. Honestly, I think that's one of those aspects that can be fixed. He shows good balance in his stance and rolls over his lead foot well. He can improve in his release and I don't think it'll take long to do so. He is extremely tough and attacks the ball over the middle. Extends for the ball even when he knows he's going to get a big hit. No alligator arms on him. Good speed and flexibility. Works the middle of the field well and his footwork along the sideline is superb.

I've seen a lot of hyperbole about his separation skills. Even here some have claimed he can't buy separation. Now I don't agree with that kind of assessment -- but if I were to concede that, then with his ability to be consistently productive as a #1 receiver commanding the focus of coverage, he must be the best WR to catch contested balls to come out in the last 8+ years. If he's not open as much as is claimed, then he must simply be the best ball fighter I've come across since Holmgren was roaming our sideline.

Cooks has outstanding speed and you see that on tape. He has good physicality for his size. He's quick in his cuts and really if I envision him learning how to run crisp routes and couple that with his burst from his cuts -- he is a guy who can create separation at the next level. I do think he needs to work on catching with his hands better. But that's not uncommon for college WRs.

This draft has a lot of receivers who have a lot of really good gifts, with some fairly minor lingering development issues. Adams is one of those players. Most of these guys should be able to smooth a lot of rough edges before the first game of the season.

kigenzun

Reaction score
I dream of the moment JS trades back up in Round 2 to get one of these guys. Matthews or Adams. I lke them both. Either one would be a great addition to the Seahawks. Otherwise, we're looking at a choice between Coleman, Bryant, or Moncrief at #64. And I'd prefer the former scenario.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kigenzun":3csuptra said:
I dream of the moment JS trades back up in Round 2 to get one of these guys. Matthews or Adams. I lke them both. Either one would be a great addition to the Seahawks. Otherwise, we're looking at a choice between Coleman, Bryant, or Moncrief at #64. And I'd prefer the former scenario.

This draft is really interesting and unique. There are so many good prospects. And yet so many of us have siloed our opinions and have our favorites. And the opinions are pretty much all over the map. It's such a polarizing class of receivers and what's particularly odd about it, is that the difference of opinion is pretty much restricted to the tier 3 talent at the WR position.

I don't recall so much interest (not just here, this is happening on other fan boards/draft forums nationally) being paid to 2nd round grade talent. I suspect it's kind of a case where fans don't want to have their teams pick the Todd Blackledge of this years' WR corps. There is tons of talent --- just don't come out of it with the bust.

mikeak

Reaction score
Let's not forget their ability to block downfield. Tate was good at it and it is something the team values. Detroit supposedly is going to more of a running game and this is why they went after Tate. FO will value sure hands, blocking.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
He reminds me so much of Keenan Allen, who had a pretty good rookie season: 71 catches for 1,046 yards and eight TDs.