Kelvin Benjamin or Joel Bitonio at 32

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I posted earlier about the best OG vs middle of the pack WR. Kelvin Benjamin was in that pack. But Benjamin is not anymore he is in the first rounders category for me(Evans,Watkins,OBJ,M.Lee,Cooks,Benjamin). So below is my take on both players I think would make the best fit for Seattle with the 32nd pick.

Kelvin Benjamin:
After watching the pro-day and thinking about how Seattle made a play for Jermichael Finley in free agency I think if Benjamin is their at 32 Seattle definitley takes him. Basically the same body type and present the same mis-matches if Benjamin stays at the weight he's at now. I expected Benjamin to be maxed out physically at 240 pounds but he looked like he could add 5 to 10 pounds of muscle and still look the part of a big play WR rather than TE. Benjamin carries his weight way better than Alshon Jeffrey did in college. I heard anaylyst say on T.V. he could lose weight as far as being more lean and lighter but he looks like a physical speciman that is at his best jumping up and getting the ball. Benjamin would step in and be the outlet when things break down. The easy throw it up where only Benjamin can get it to move the chains would be a nice pairing with the home run speed of P. Harvin. I like the potential for Benjamin as a blocker also.

Joel Bitonio:
I like him and think he would be a good plug n play fit for Cable's zone blocking scheme. Bitonio is basically a McQuistan totally maxed out on PED's lol. But i mean I think he is very McQuistan-esque but with way more athleticism. Nothing fancy to his game just would be a solid pick if no good WR or top DT is available.

kearly

Reaction score
I kinda get a McQuistan vibe too, as long as we are both talking about only the good plays McQuistan made.

Though I dislike Benjamin, I would worry about John Schneider pulling a hamstring from sprinting to the podium so hard to take him at #32. Kelvin Benjamin is basically this year's Cordarrelle Patterson or Dez Bryant in the sense that he has top 10 pick tools but has big enough problems that he might reach the mid twenties.

Bitonio will probably go pretty close to our second round pick. He's not the kind of guy teams would reach for and it sounds like teams view him as a late 2nd, early 3rd kind of guy.

I would take Bitonio, but I think we could wait and have a very good chance to get him at #64. Benjamin has talent but has so much to learn and I'm not sure he has the kind of attitude he needs to develop.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":10vwxaqd said:
I posted earlier about the best OG vs middle of the pack WR..

That makes no sense. If James Carpenter was in this draft and he was the first guard off the board at 32 and Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, Aj Green, and demaryius Thomas was in this draft would you consider Thomas middle of the pack and take carpenter because he's the highest rated guard prospect?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Bitonio is a reach at 32 and KB would be a surprise to drop to 32. If they are both there its no question who they would pick. KB is a guy who would normally go somewhere in after 10 in a normal year but if we have a chance at him at 32 you jump on it.
If no one else drops to 32 (Odell, KB, Donald, Tuitt, Morgan Moses, Zach martin, Hageman) then I guess I would be fine with Bitonio but he isn't exactly a bull dozing lineman(and yes I realize that isn't mandatory with zbs but I present to you Carpenter). Yes he tested well in drills but on tape he doesn't exactly show it. I really would expect him to be available at 64 to be honest.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2csp8dsm said:
Why do I get BMW flashbacks from Benjamin?

Cuz they're both big as hell, but thats where the comparison stops.

BMW could catch.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kearly":le790bjv said:
Bitonio will probably go pretty close to our second round pick. He's not the kind of guy teams would reach for and it sounds like teams view him as a late 2nd, early 3rd kind of guy.

Pauline reported last week Bitonio is solidly in round two and rising.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Benjamin can make the spectacular catch, but miss the easy grab between the numbers, a concentration issue. There's a lot in common with BMW, Benjamin and that guy who could still be a Seahawk pending getting medically cleared, Finley... the latter has a low investment cost and you could use that #32 or #64 pick to address another need, you could still pick a receiver, but a different type of receiver, or o-line, or D-line, or a corner.

jhern87

Reaction score
I kind of hope Benjamin is gone before our pick.. I can't stand when guys drop balls.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
jhern87":1f8brs71 said:
I kind of hope Benjamin is gone before our pick.. I can't stand when guys drop balls.

Concentration can be corrected. I can't speak to your other anger point.

jake206

Reaction score
Benjamin, its not even close. Unreal athleticism, definitely a game breaker. He'll be long gone before hawks pick. Bitonio is overrated. Cable can take any of these guys and make them a decent zone blocker. Wouldn't waste a first round pick on him.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
I'm may be in the minority but I'd rather have Jordan Matthews at 32 than either of those two guys. In fact, I'd rather have Matthews more than most players in this draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfoPwGsNhco

PLAY.

MAKER.

(Oh, he's also 6'3" 212 lbs, ran a combine 4.46 40 yard dash, had the fifth largest wingspan and second largest hands at the combine. He also caught 247 balls for 3578 yards and 23 TDs over the last three seasons. So there's that.)

QuahHawk

Reaction score
We would regret passing up Benjamin. Not only would I be very happy if we got him, I would be happy if we traded up for him. We are the type of team that can take advantage of his unique abilities. He may not be able to run every route like many WR's but we would not need him too. There are not too many 6'5 242lb WR's. A 4.61 40 is not bad considering he will be able to out jump and overpower most NFL DB's. I can see a Mike Williams type that can snatch the ball with his hands while shielding defenders away on quick slants, how many times did Wilson fail to connect with Tate on hose quick slants? Put a big long strider out there an I see teams giving him a big cushion going inside into traffic where he can break tackles. He is a powerfull blocker and that fits well with our run game, he might not be perfect but has glimpses of sher dominance pushing defenders back 5 plus yards. He is just a hair slower and night quite as quick but goes up in traffic and gets the ball as good as Mike Evans does, considering he will be gone top 15 and Benjamin is a 20-32 guy I think he's a steal.

With Percey's Speed and Baldwin routes an knack for getting open we'd have 3 very diffrent and unique WR's. We dont need a burner to take the top off we just need a guy Russ can throw at with confidence that he will win the jump ball, I think Benjamin who is still very raw will become a huge threat on the outside for somebody, he is a very high upside guy, I don't why but I really really like the idea of Benjamin in the 1st. I'd give up a 5th or 4th next year to move up to #26 ahead of NO, CAR, NE, and SF who are all WR needy teams.

Put us in SF's situation in the NFC Championship. Same fade route to the End Zone that Kap tried to get to Crabtree.

Who would you want to throw the ball to?
Mike Evans
Kelvin Benjamin
Brandon Coleman
Martavius Bryant

pcbball12

Reaction score
I would take Benjamin, but I am a lot higher on him than most around here. His field speed is much better than what his combine numbers would lead you to believe. It is rare that you see a man his size constantly blow by corners with ease and stretch the field the way he does. He literally just runs by guys, which is insane at his size.

He obviously has the height/length/frame to be a number 1, but his uniqueness is in his ability to stretch the field at that size. Does struggle with drops at times and body catches a lot. But, does flash good hands and ability to pluck on film as well. I don't think our FO is scared off by drop issues (IE: Kearse). Goes without saying that with his size it also provides a big body on 3rd down and in the red zone as well. I just see a player that has the potential to be truly great if he can be more consistent catching the ball. Possesses a lot of cool, unique traits that are hard to find in a player at WR.

I do like Bitonio too BTW. Have him right there with Lewan on my tackle board (not as high on Lewan as many are). He is a good player that could provide great versatility being able to play 4 positions on the line. Just think Benjamin has potential to be special while Bitonio won't be special but will be a good player.

kigenzun

Reaction score
At #32? Kelvin Benjamin in a heartbeat.

We all know he won't last that long, but I truly believe Schneider could trade with Idzik to get it done.
By packaging our #64 with #32, to get up to the New York Jets pick at #18, would be a reasonably steep price. Still...

It would be worth it.

'cuz he's a #1.
IMO

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kigenzun":ye7z9pwu said:
At #32? Kelvin Benjamin in a heartbeat.

We all know he won't last that long, but I truly believe Schneider could trade with Idzik to get it done.
By packaging our #64 with #32, to get up to the New York Jets pick at #18, would be a reasonably steep price. Still...

It would be worth it.

'cuz he's a #1.
IMO

For that price, I'd add extra and come away with Donald or Evans

QuahHawk

Reaction score
With such a deep WR class we could see some of these guys slide. I don't think we can afford to give up or 2nd this year because we don't have a 3rd. I'd rather see how far we can trade up with our 4th then trade our 2nd for a 3rd and 4th.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":231g9bfb said:
jake206":231g9bfb said:
Bitonio is overrated.

You mean by all the national pundits who never talk about him?

Maybe there is a reason for that . . . Bitonio doesn't have good size for his current OT position, and he doesn't move well in pass protection. In watching him play against UCLA, the Nevada coaches often had him blocking down on the DT, rather than taking on the outside rusher. I think Bitionio could develop into one of the better guards (or even centers) in this class, but no way is he worthy of a First Round selection. 2013 rookies Bailey/Bowie have just as much potential as Bitonio, who very well could be available at 64.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Not what I saw vs UCLA. He dealt with Barr superbly off the edge. Ditto against FSU's bevy of pass rushers.