Who is the draft's best pass rusher?

• Jadeveon Clowney

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Khalil Mack

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters

kearly

Reaction score
Before anyone says "duh, Clowney," consider that Khalil Mack has the highest score in the history of Football Outsiders sackSEER projections (you might recall their highest ever QB projection went to one Russell Wilson). Mel Kiper just put Khalil Mack #1 overall in his latest mock draft, and Mike Mayock (who is having IMO his best draft analysis season yet) has said that Mack is the best player in the entire draft.

Both guys are physical freaks. Clowney is just a little extra freak than Mack is, but Mack has more production and fewer question marks.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Never seen Mack but if either one is to be a complete bust it seems that Clowney would be it.

randomation

Reaction score
Mack, didn't watch much of Clowney but he didn't do anything vs an average Wisc O Line. I feel like he got so big because of that one hit idk.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I like Mack kinda reminds me of Clay Mathews. The way he tracks the ball, disrupts passing lanes and rushes the passer the guy is everywhere. Clowney seems a little off to me I don't know what it is. Looks like he's waiting to get his inheritance check or something where Mack just seems to have that dog in him that you want in a defender. So I'll take Mack over Clowney all day.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like Mack for the fact that he has not been coddled his whole sports existence. And sounds far smarter when he speaks.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Saw Macks bowl gamw. They had him keyed the entire game.

Watched Clowney a bunch. He has a flash a game but he is also keyed on too.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1f0t35sb said:
I wouldn't draft either with the #1 pick.

I'm curious who your choice would be. Watkins? Evans?

kigenzun

Reaction score
I'll take Clowney. Him being consistently double-teamed vs. SEC competition, carries much weight in my mind over Mack's King Kong performance vs. the MAC. I felt Mack didn't do so hot vs. better teams like Baylor, or in their Bowl Game vs. San Diego State either. I'll take Clowney.

As far as #1 overall, I'd go with Greg Robinson and lock down my LT position.

Then get a QB in the 2nd (Jimmy Garappolo), 3rd (Zack Mettenberger), or even later 6th-7th? (Connor Shaw)(Logan Thomas), to give a couple of example options.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Mack for me. Dude is just tenacious and always going 100%. Plus he has position flexibility, can either be a 3-4 LBer or 4-3 DE.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I went with Clowney. I was watching the Blake Bortles game at home vs. SC and Clowney was doubled or tripled on almost every play. When they didn't, he forced the QB to move in under 2 seconds pretty much every time. They had a TE glued to their LT's hip, but Clowney still beat them a few times to force hurried throws. On one play, Clowney was a stand up blitzer inside and drew a triple team, and still collapsed the pocket some. I think he is the closest thing you will ever see to Ndamukong Suh at DE. Doesn't mean he will be the very best player in the NFL, but it won't take much for him to be very good.

Mack looks like a 15 sack a year kind of player, he just does everything very well. I think Clowney will strike more fear in OC's though which is what swung my vote.

pcbball12

Reaction score
They are both easily top 5 picks, or should be. Even though many are down on Clowney's supposed lack of effort or work ethic, I do not see that in his film. He is constantly being double, tripple teamed, screens thrown his way, run away from....yet he still finds a way to impact the game and flashes. He does not take plays off like many have said. He has a freaky combination of speed and power and converts from speed to power so well when rushing the passer. Guy is a rare player for his position and I think he has a legitimate chance of being the best at his position (may not like Kearly said but he is a rare breed and will impact any game he is in).

I love Mack as well. Also converts speed to power effortlessly when rushing the passer. Great bend off the edge, great athlete. I do believe he will be a difference maker and is much like Von Miller when he came out. I just think guys like Clowney only come around so often, and he is going to be a nightmare. Constantly demands double teams.

Tical21

Reaction score
Clowney is a once in a generation talent.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tical21":eqg1h7e9 said:
Clowney is a once in a generation talent.
I don't think anyone doubts that. I think the bog concern is that he is as driven as the dudes who beg work in front of Home depot.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Clowney at 80% desire is more than Mack at 100%.

He's just turned 21. He's been the Lebron James of football since before he went to college. I can't possibly put myself in his shoes. I just know that I didn't have it all put together at 21 either.

With the rookie salary cap, you take Clowney without a second thought. You have him for 4 years with a club option for a 5th year. I don't think anyone expects him to bust (as in not be a quality starter in this league). At worst, you have 4 years for him to grow. He could end up being a dominant superstar early for all we know.

There is no guarantee that Khalil Mack will be as driven as Clowney will be. I'm pretty sure he's led a charmed life of entitlement as far as his football dealings. But people grow and the sting of criticism is sharper at the pro level. With the rookie cap -- everyone is auditioning for their 2nd contract. His hype will have faded almost entirely by the time he's 26.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":gh70fds3 said:
Clowney at 80% desire is more than Mack at 100%.

He's just turned 21. He's been the Lebron James of football since before he went to college. I can't possibly put myself in his shoes. I just know that I didn't have it all put together at 21 either.

With the rookie salary cap, you take Clowney without a second thought. You have him for 4 years with a club option for a 5th year. I don't think anyone expects him to bust (as in not be a quality starter in this league). At worst, you have 4 years for him to grow. He could end up being a dominant superstar early for all we know.

There is no guarantee that Khalil Mack will be as driven as Clowney will be. I'm pretty sure he's led a charmed life of entitlement as far as his football dealings. But people grow and the sting of criticism is sharper at the pro level. With the rookie cap -- everyone is auditioning for their 2nd contract. His hype will have faded almost entirely by the time he's 26.
Sounds good. And all you said is still theoretical.

kf3339

Reaction score
When even your own coach questions your work ethic that is a big red flag to me. So in this case I would go Mack, but neither would be my #1 overall pick in this draft.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
This prospect contrast reminds me of Suh vs. McCoy in 2010. Mayock was as high on McCoy as he is on Mack right now, and as said before I see a lot of Suh in Clowney. Both Suh and McCoy lived up to their draft hype, I expect both of these guys will too.