Any realistic prospects that you feel confident about?

kearly

Reaction score
Among the prospects that are at least 50/50 to reach the 32nd pick or later, are there any that you feel strongly will be looked back upon in a few years time as a great pick? For Seattle.

This isn't about picks being "safe" or "high upside", it's just an abstract "gut feel" thing. Any options you have a gut feel will be good NFL players that Seattle might be able to consider?

For me it's Allen Robinson, but I'm not sure if he's fast enough for PC/JS to draft him. Though he's not as fast as Tate, his short area quickness is pretty similar, as are his natural receiving skills and college production. Would fit in really nice at punt returner. The guy just has "it" at receiver, all the instincts are plainly evident. He plays hard too. He really is like a blend of Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin. I think there is a really good chance he could be there at #64 too.

Much later in the draft, I think Devin Street is very likely to pan out as a #2 or #3 starter in the NFL. He needs to add bulk, but he's about as talented a WR as you'll ever find on day 3 of the draft. Good athlete and a great route runner with excellent instincts.

Offensive line is relatively good but there isn't anybody who I feel is a slam dunk. There are a few RB/TE/QB options I think could be steals, but they don't fit Seattle.

Honestly, I haven't seen any defensive players that give me that Lavonte-David-surefire-awesome vibe from picks 32 on. The closest is Kyle Van Noy as an OLB, but he's probably not fast enough for Seattle. Van Noy reminds me some of Kiko Alonso, I think he could really surprise people at middle linebacker. He would learn the position fast. I have a hard time seeing him bust, unless some team is stupid and drafts him to play 4-3 DE.

chris98251

Reaction score
Picking at 32 is hard to predict, every draft has a run on positions and not knowing where this years will come from there could be surprise players at our position. I have sat back and just let everything hash out so far and am still waiting for free agency to pretty much end to really look at our direction.

The so called experts seem to have forgotton about our draft of red shirt guys last year as well when looking at a lot of draft boards. In my opinion that is the wild card in this whole process. Only our staff knows how far they have come and if any true lingering issues remain. Our staff has been very generic about the comments as well.

On the surface most think Interior D Line, WR, O line, CB, and Safety and the always needed Linebackers just for special teams and depth.

Sorry this isn't a definitive answer to you topic, but this year more then any year since Pete has been here is full of unknowns and possible surprises. This is also the kind of year we could trade back for picks or target a specific player and trade up. With the new CBA and scaling trading up to a low first isn't as cost prohibitive as it used to be. Some of the QB prospects may be had that are coveted by some teams.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Not to sound too big for my britches, but I wanted this thread to be about players. Let's talk about players.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I really like Stephon Tuitt. He had an off year and people are writing him off, but i would take him in a heart beat at 32. I see him as a DE/DT that can play both the run and pressure the passer very effectively.

Jarvis Landry is a hell of a pass catcher and the kind we need to grab those contested passes. 32 might be a tad early, but if they trade back or he's there at 64 I would take him in either case.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Martavis Bryant. It wouldn't surprise me if he fails out of the NFL with 31 other NFL teams, but I just think Seattle would bring out the absolute best in him. I also think he will be on Seattle's radar. Physically he checks out, though I know there are "buy in" red flags, but I think he's a realistic option at 32 and I also think with Pete and Russell, he could be great.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
ivotuk":zvvexk8c said:
Jarvis Landry is a hell of a pass catcher and the kind we need to grab those contested passes. 32 might be a tad early, but if they trade back or he's there at 64 I would take him in either case.

Good pick. I bet Seattle will like Landry a lot. Strong hands, great concentration, fierce after the catch, above average YAC ability. Definitely a guy who could easily be a high end #2 WR in the NFL. I'd much rather get Landry at #64 than Beckham at #32, though I wouldn't complain if we got both.

Yxes1122":zvvexk8c said:
Martavis Bryant. It wouldn't surprise me if he fails out of the NFL with 31 other NFL teams, but I just think Seattle would bring out the absolute best in him. I also think he will be on Seattle's radar. Physically he checks out, though I know there are "buy in" red flags, but I think he's a realistic option at 32 and I also think with Pete and Russell, he could be great.

Interviews and background interviews will be key. Pete and John have to figure out if Bryant is a PC/JS kinda guy. I can't find anything concrete about Bryant that highlights character concerns, and he actually seems surprisingly down to earth and intelligent in this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlErsh- ... 8HXBGdbS5w

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
If we took Landry at any point in the draft, including at #32, I wouldn't be disappointed.

cover-2

Reaction score
Fresno St (WR) Davante Adams (late 1st round): I think Adams would be very productive in our offense. He has good size, outstanding leaping ability to go up and get jump balls, terrific hands, good body control to contort his body to catch off errant passes. Adams would be a great redzone target for fades or jump balls. Compares favorably to Michael Crabtree or Bucs WR Mike Williams.

Nebraska (CB) Stanley Jean-Baptiste (mid-round): SJB is a very good man press CB and he would be a perfect fit for our scheme. He has shown to have outstanding ball skills, which is due to the fact that he was a WR his first couple of years at Nebraska. SJB has the size and length that fit our profile for CB. He has been dinged as not the most physical in run support, but Sherman had the same knock on him coming out of college. The LOB will hold him accountable vs the run and IMO he will take on the LOB mindset when playing with in our secondary.

While neither prospect is an elite level athlete, I believe both have unique skill sets that fit nicely with our style of play. IMO SJB could be a Pro Bowl player and Adams could be a very solid WR.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste
WR Devin Street
WR Brandon Coleman
DE Kareem Martin

All players with unique size and abilities that I think would fit it well here. I don't know if any will be superstars but I think they could be great role players.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Here are a few players that either intrigue me, or seem like they may fit the Seahawk profile:

Dominique Easley - DT - Florida -- Some are suggesting that he could he fall into the second round because of his ACL tear from last season. If healthy, would have likely been a top 10 pick. I could see Seattle taking him at the end of the first, essentially "red-shirting" him for the 2014 season. Would be a perfect 3-tech in the Seahawks system.

Ju'Wuan James - RT - Tennessee -- Some have suggested that Seattle could be interested in Richardson, the other massive Tennessee OT. But James is a natural RT, and seems to fit the Cable OT proto-type. I could see Seattle being very interested if James dropped into the 4th round.

Dakota Dozier - OG – Furman -- This former wrestling champ seems to be the perfect Tom Cable ZBS OG. I could see Seattle being very high on Dozier

Christian Jones - OLB - Florida -- Fast and athletic LB that will likely drop in the draft. Has the length and speed that Seattle loves on defense

Keith McGill - CB - Utah -- Tall, long, physical corner. Lacks experience - and thus made mistakes this past season. Lacks top end speed. Only one year as a CB, so still learning position. Ideal fit for Seattle's press cover. Another great value in the 4th or 5th round.

Just a few players that have been following and looking at.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I really like Allen Robinson.

I think Billy Turner, NDSU, would be a great player who will go between 32 and 64.
I can't find much on him, highlight reel stuff, but Jeff Janis, Saginaw, feels Seahawky. Great size, speed, and uber quick for a tall guy. I would have to guess he is a 5th round type of player.

I don't know when he will get drafted, but I am really high on a guy who flashed talent on the DL, Jay Bromley. Love his ability to push the pocket.

I think 3 of those guys will be NFL starters for a long time. Janis is too difficult to predict, but looks to me to be a lot more talented than Durham was.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kearly":1o32s61q said:
Among the prospects that are at least 50/50 to reach the 32nd pick or later, are there any that you feel strongly will be looked back upon in a few years time as a great pick? For Seattle.

This isn't about picks being "safe" or "high upside", it's just an abstract "gut feel" thing. Any options you have a gut feel will be good NFL players that Seattle might be able to consider?

For me it's Allen Robinson, but I'm not sure if he's fast enough for PC/JS to draft him. Though he's not as fast as Tate, his short area quickness is pretty similar, as are his natural receiving skills and college production. Would fit in really nice at punt returner. The guy just has "it" at receiver, all the instincts are plainly evident. He plays hard too. He really is like a blend of Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin. I think there is a really good chance he could be there at #64 too.

Much later in the draft, I think Devin Street is very likely to pan out as a #2 or #3 starter in the NFL. He needs to add bulk, but he's about as talented a WR as you'll ever find on day 3 of the draft. Good athlete and a great route runner with excellent instincts.

Offensive line is relatively good but there isn't anybody who I feel is a slam dunk. There are a few RB/TE/QB options I think could be steals, but they don't fit Seattle.

Honestly, I haven't seen any defensive players that give me that Lavonte-David-surefire-awesome vibe from picks 32 on. The closest is Kyle Van Noy as an OLB, but he's probably not fast enough for Seattle. Van Noy reminds me some of Kiko Alonso, I think he could really surprise people at middle linebacker. He would learn the position fast. I have a hard time seeing him bust, unless some team is stupid and drafts him to play 4-3 DE.

Man, at least half of my posts on this forum of late have been repping either Allen Robinson or Devin Street. It'd be great if we could land one of them.

I actually think we'd be willing to look past Robinson's lack of speed (sure his 40 was slow, but he plays a lot quicker) and as far as comparisons go I actually see a bit of Larry Fitz. Though I don't share your optimism in him being there at 64. For me, he looks like one of the most natural receivers in this draft, along with the likes of Marquise Lee and Jarvis Landry (doesn't mean they're my favourite three WR prospects).

Sticking with WRs I'd feel confident that Jared Abbrederis turns into a very good receiver in this league, he's got a defensive back repellant.

And I think Antone Exum could be the next 5th round db who becomes a perennial pro-bowler.

Scottemojo":1o32s61q said:
I don't know when he will get drafted, but I am really high on a guy who flashed talent on the DL, Jay Bromley. Love his ability to push the pocket.

I really like Jay Bromley as a late round prospect, had him in my (firstpick website) mock draft in the 6th I think, even though they graded it a D. Has some exciting potential that'd be great for a guy like Quinn to work with.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It seems like we've been looking and discussing WRs all season. This group of tier 3 receivers seems so strong.

I have liked Robinson for a long time. I don't see a big YAC monster there, but our offense doesn't really feature that a great deal. And Wilson doesn't really throw that kind of deep ball either. Our deep passes generally end up being catches of the type that either lead a guy out of bounds after the catch or end up a solid deep completion but not necessarily delivered in stride to allow for big yardage after the completion anyway.

So I'm not as down on lack of speed/separation as most fans are here. Russell seems to have a good safe deep ball where he gives his receivers a better than 50-50 chance to get it but not one that generally goes to the house. Higher percentage completions but lesser percentage plays in terms of being able to do anything with it afterwards.

I don't necessarily see that improving. It seems that's the kind of balls we like to throw and ones Russell is very good at. The completions are explosive.

There are just a lot of really good WRs who can fill that bill. Robinson is one. Jordan Matthews is another. Davante Adams is yet another. All three of those players are really extremely good at getting and owning the ball in the air. For our offense, and in particular the kinds of receivers that we've kept on the roster -- getting separation doesn't really seem to be very high on the list of qualities that Seattle covets.

Of the entire draft though, I have an unabashed love for Jared Abbrederis. I do believe that receiving skill is something that really separates players at the NFL level. More than athleticism or testing. And I think it's something that Seattle tends to miss because of the strong influence that good testing number imparts on whom we pick. Abbrederis is just an excellent receiver. An extremely savvy player who is uniquely gifted at adding subtle wrinkles to his craft. If I had to compare him to guys recently coming out of college, I'd put him in the Antonio Brown/DeAndre Hopkins kind of prospect.

Two of the best WRs I've ever had the opportunity to watch was Steve Largent and Sterling Sharpe. Both of those WRs were absolute wizards at the small subtleties of the profession. And I think it's really important for us as fans to not discount the reality that prospects coming into the league -- and receivers already in the league -- they don't take coaching at a linear uniform rate. I believe it's a complete mistake to assume that players can be coached up to resolve deficiencies in their game. Because lots of prospects never succeed at that sufficiently.

With Abbrederis, you can really see year to year, the ability to improve at his skills. He shows the ability to add and incorporate new skills at an accelerated rate. I don't assume that he's limited in upside because he understands how to attack DBs in college. I see a guy who 'gets it' and one who will be able to quickly add new wrinkles to his skill set when he's drinking from the fire hose that is an NFL training camp.

Matthews is another WR that has shown an amazing ability to add elements to his game. Consistently improving weaknesses. These are the two guys in particular that I believe in this class are the best suited to develop quickly and consistently over the first 3 years of their careers. These are two guys who I fully expect will accelerate their productivity faster and longer than any other maybe outside of Sammy Watkins.

Prospects aren't as good of players as they will become after getting into the pros. But these two to me really stand out in their ability to improve at their craft. If I'm looking for guys who will be hungry and dedicated to committing the time and effort to excel at the small things -- like Richard Sherman is at the corner position -- these are the two guys I think will do that.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
I really like what little I've seen of Morgan Moses. I would like to see Seattle shore up right tackle early in the draft. Morgan is long enough and quick enough to play left or right tackle. His issue is drive when run blocking. Give Cable his feet and some strength training he would be a nice starter in 2014. I would suggest #32.

I would then love to see us grab DT Caraun Reid in the late 4th or early 5th. Great quickness, decent length, pro-ready, and smart (went to Princeton). Again, I've not watched much, so I'm taking peoples word on technique.

Late I like OT Matt Patchan, DE Larry Webster, and CB Walk Aikens.

Finally. My favorite CB is Rashaad Reynolds from OSU. He is a carbon copy of Thurmond.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":1tlpbn5q said:
Ju'Wuan James - RT - Tennessee -- Some have suggested that Seattle could be interested in Richardson, the other massive Tennessee OT. But James is a natural RT, and seems to fit the Cable OT proto-type. I could see Seattle being very interested if James dropped into the 4th round.

I like Ju'Wuan as well. He and Morgan Moses both have quick feet and good length. Both are being dinged for a lack of run blocking "attitude". Both, to me, can play both tackles, and have great potential.

I would suggest the draft is top heavy on offensive line, while the wide receivers are balanced throughout. I would also suggest shoring up the right tackle position and positioning the team to accept the loss of Okung in 2015 is the top draft priority. Thus, I would recommend OT be priority #1.

Good fun.

p.s. Kony Ealy intrigues the hell out of me. I wonder if he falls...
p.s.s. My sleeper WR is Kevin Norwood

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
The more I see and read about Brandin Cooks the more I like.