My top 20 WRs in 2014 draft

kearly

Reaction score
I reserve the right to change my mind later, but here is how I currently rank the group:

---

01. Sammy Watkins, Clemson:

Julio Jones 2.0

02. Mike Evans, Texas A&M:

Vincent Jackson 2.0

03. Marquise Lee, USC:

A young Bobby Engram.

04. Jarvis Landry, LSU:

Horrifically slow forty aside, Landry is a complete receiver who might be the best in the draft at winning contested throws. Similar to Anquan Boldin.

05. Allen Robinson, Penn St:

Creates separation, is great on jump balls, and is a threat after the catch despite below average forty time. Similar to Keenan Allen.

06. Odell Beckham Jr., LSU:

Fast, tough, smart, good after the catch. A blend of Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin.

07. Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss:

Dumb the game down for him and he'll threaten defenses. Slightly similar to Cordarrelle Patterson.

08. Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin:

Clutch WR who is a master at getting behind DBs. Blue-collar attitude, great technician. Similar to Brian Hartline. Concussions could be a problem, though.

09. Devin Street, Pittsburgh:

Skinny 6'4" WR with excellent route running, good hands and a ton of innate talent. Similar to Marlon Brown and Sidney Rice.

10. Davante Adams, Fresno State:

Solid WR who does everything solidly well, his best attribute is probably his body control. Similar to Michael Crabtree.

11. Shaq Evans, UCLA:

Like Abbrederis Evans is technique polished and just has a knack for getting behind DBs despite his "average-ish" speed. Good blocker. Very similar measurements and traits to Jermaine Kearse.

12. Brandon Coleman, Rutgers:

Probably a guy that won't do anything in the NFL, but he's so tantalizing as a red line threat. There really isn't another WR he properly compares to.

13. Martavis Bryant, Clemson:

Rarely targeted playing behind two first round pick WRs for most of his career. Big guy, smooth footwork, good hands, good interview. Could be a steal or could be Stephen Hill 2.0.

14. Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt:

He competes after the catch but is not the best competitor for contested throws. When fearing a big hit he gets alligator arms. Could be a good WR, but he's kinda soft when it counts. Tools are solid but not amazing, reminds me of Aaron Dobson.

15. Kevin Norwood, Alabama:

6'2" WR who knows how to get open. Kind of a finesse receiver. Reminds me of a taller version of Deion Branch.

16. Bruce Ellington, South Carolina:

He's a little shorter than Cooks, but far bulkier, and better at attacking the football. Little guy, but tough. Good after the catch too. Cousin of Andre Ellington.

17. Jeff Janis, Saginaw State:

#1 athlete at the combine, and had huge production in division II playing with a crappy supporting cast. Great interview. He's terrible on contested throws though, definitely a project. Reminds me some of Ricardo Lockette, who also played in division II. That said, I see more natural ability in Janis.

18. Kevin Smith, Washington:

Wasn't invited to the combine and isn't even listed on some long draft lists, but he was maybe the best WR on UW last season, a team with some serious receiving talent. He was basically UWs equivalent of Robert Woods.

19. Josh Huff, Oregon:

Just a really solid player. When he was out, Mariota missed him.

20. Paul Richardson, Colorado:

Another NFL dead average type ala Aaron Dobson.

Off the board:

Kelvin Benjamin:

He's super big, but he has a lot to work on, not sure if he has the desire or attitude needed to correct issues.

Brandin Cooks:

He's small, looks small, and plays small. Great numbers but was a non-factor against defenses with good athletes in the secondary which makes me think he was a college gimmick type guy. Fights poorly for the ball, will probably get killed going over the middle. Very similar player to Deon Butler.

---

I'm guessing PC/JS will like Benjamin and Cooks a lot more than I do. Robinson and Landry are probably too slow for them. Just about every WR they've ever acquired ran in the 4.5s or better.

randomation

Reaction score
I think abby goes late 3 or even 4 and is going to be a massive steal for someone personally but we will see.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
jp25591":32p4msvj said:
What are your thoughts on Cody Latimer? He's pro day is tomorrow. I'll be interested in what times he gets.

He's got some quickness at 6'2", but he misses a lot of catches an NFL receiver has to make, and he makes playing the position look hard. He takes plays off sometimes but when he wants to block he's a very good blocker. Size + speed + suspect receiving skills + nasty blocker = special teams WR in the NFL, IMO. Has room for growth but right now he'd probably be a PS guy for Seattle if they picked him up late. I don't think he'd beat out Lockette as a #6, Lockette is just too good on special teams.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I was going to do a top 15 thread like this the other day. My top 10 would look very similar and I see Boldin in Landry too, in fact I can see him going to the 9ers in the 2nd/3rd.

I'd have included Robert Herron on that list, and maybe had Richardson a couple higher, though i definitely see his bust potential. What are your thoughts on Herron?

General Manager

Reaction score
Interesting everyone has these players rated different , except Watkins, Evans, Lee and Beckham most of the scouts have them rated in the top 5 .

aawolf

Reaction score
I'd have a hard time putting Jordon Matthews at #14. To me, he's proven himself as an elite receiver in the SEC, which is not an easy task. His playmaking ability is impressive and his intelligence in the classroom should also be considered. I'd put him in my top 4 with Watkins, Evans, and Lee. Just my 2 cents.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Where do you think Martavis Bryant goes? I heard 3rd or 4th. I also heard he ran a 4.4. Is that correct? If he's big and ran a 4.4 and at least has decent hands he's not gonna fall to the 4th. That said, how are his hands? Hawks need a big WR and he certainly could fit the bill.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Landry's vertical (28.5) was worse than his 40 time. It's obvious from the film that Landry has great hands and does a good job extending to catch the ball at its highest point, but he can barely get off the ground. Great hands aside, how will he create separation in the NFL if he can't run or make it off the ground?

Even Jared Abbrederis, who looks more flat footed and robotic than Landry, jumped over 30 inches.

Davante Adams, Brandin Cooks, and Paul Richardson are all way underrated on your list.

Shaq Evans, Josh Huff, Brandon Coleman, Allen Robinson, Landry, and Abbrederis are overrated.

I agree with you entirely about Kelvin Benjamin.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I've said all along Huff is the guy who could take Tates spot. He 5'11 210 and a 4.45 guy, who blocks like a mad man and is strong as hell. If you don't believe me watch him push Desmond Trufaunt the final 10 yards for a td, or last year it looked like he broke his leg only to come back in the 3rd qrt for a 68 yard td vs UW.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
CPHawk":pfl7eueh said:
I've said all along Huff is the guy who could take Tates spot. He 5'11 210 and a 4.45 guy, who blocks like a mad man and is strong as hell. If you don't believe me watch him push Desmond Trufaunt the final 10 yards for a td, or last year it looked like he broke his leg only to come back in the 3rd qrt for a 68 yard td vs UW.

Tate is a lot faster than Josh Huff (4.5+), he runs much better routes, he has better hands, and he's a lot more dynamic after the catch. I don't see the Tate/Huff comparison, other than the fact that they're both under 6' and both struggled to create separation in college.

CPHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":fudos5c0 said:
CPHawk":fudos5c0 said:

Tate is a lot faster than Josh Huff (4.5+), he runs much better routes, he has better hands, and he's a lot more dynamic after the catch. I don't see the Tate/Huff comparison, other than the fact that they're both under 6' and both struggled to create separation in college.

Huff did just run a 4.45, and no Tate didn't run good routes when he arrived in Seattle.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
CPHawk":9kalxlwo said:
hawknation2014":9kalxlwo said:
CPHawk":9kalxlwo said:

Huff did just run a 4.45, and no Tate didn't run good routes when he arrived in Seattle.

The 4.45 was an unofficial "hand time." Huff's best time was actually 4.51.

The big knock on Huff, other than his overall lack of explosiveness, is his route running.

"Limited route tree. Could stand to refine his route running. Lets some throws into his body and tends to trap some. Not a go-up-and-get-it guy (average leaping ability)."
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jos ... id=2543746

Huff started 36 games at Oregon, but had just six total 100-yard games in his career. Those were mostly games where he had a single big catch, including one last year against Nicholls State.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's a 1-2 round pick, he's a 4th round pick who will take 3 years to be a tops 3 WR. He's a guy who was a RB and has only been a WR for 3 years. But he is a guy who works his ass off and will only get better, similar to his college career. Hue can return kicks and punts, he can play special teams and will eventually be a 60+ catch guy.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
CPHawk":23fzzwcn said:
I'm not saying he's a 1-2 round pick, he's a 4th round pick who will take 3 years to be a tops 3 WR. He's a guy who was a RB and has only been a WR for 3 years. But he is a guy who works his ass off and will only get better, similar to his college career. Hue can return kicks and punts, he can play special teams and will eventually be a 60+ catch guy.

His hands are not great, his route running is subpar, and the yards after contact are zilch. He's never been anything special on punt or kickoff returns (22 yards per kickoff, with 25 yards for touchbacks in college, and zero punt return yards). He had a good college career, so I hope he finds a home in the NFL. Right now, I don't see him making it to a second contract. If the Seahawks considered him before the 6th round, I think it would be a waste.

two dog

Reaction score
Thank you, nice list. I like it because I agree with most all of it. You just killed my affair with Paul Richardson though.

Landry, huh ? Would we have to use 32 to get him or is he possible at 64 ?
Kevin Smith, Hmm. Could he be had as a FA ?

titan3131

Reaction score
I met Kevin smith at my gym. He's good friends with one of my trainers on staff. Seemed like a nice kid.

kigenzun

Reaction score
You must be watching the 'white' Kelvin Benjamin... because the one I'm watching is going to be an Inside the 40/Red Zone Monster in the NFL.

If we don't somehow move up to draft him, I pray he doesn't end up in the NFC West.