College football one step closer to unionization.

Donn2390

Reaction score
SeatownJay":u454h4sk said:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10677763/northwestern-wildcats-football-players-win-bid-unionize

I'm sure the traditionalists will all have their panties in a wad over this.
Not to worry, it will never happen. One low level court agreed, not it will go up the ladder to a higher court which won't agree. If it were to happen, Schools would op out and go a different direction, no more 1-A, we'll drop down a division.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
They brought up a great and valid point on our lowly radio station. If they qualify to be paid from the university, then they will owe taxes (fed and state) and the station did not even explain that the colleges will have to pay more taxes and there are other unemployment things that apply possibly. And I am so ignorant...I thought they were there to get an education. :p

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":yzqc61e9 said:
They brought up a great and valid point on our lowly radio station. If they qualify to be paid from the university, then they will owe taxes (fed and state) and the station did not even explain that the colleges will have to pay more taxes and there are other unemployment things that apply possibly. And I am so ignorant...I thought they were there to get an education. :p

Yeah, I don't think they have thought this all the way through.

"Hey we all get $10,000/yr to play sports. Wait, why is my paycheck so small?"

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":xoh6wty1 said:
Seahawkfan80":xoh6wty1 said:

Hey....that needs to include compensations for college attending too...which could be the 7k per year scholarship which means 17k per year. Once they open the can of worms or pandora's box, it takes a lot to close it.

Threedee

Reaction score
SeatownJay":hhscd71a said:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10677763/northwestern-wildcats-football-players-win-bid-unionize

I'm sure the traditionalists will all have their panties in a wad over this.

My panties are just fine. This doesn't really change the student-athlete, because these guys are now somehow employees. They will draw salaries, and will no longer get free tuition, etc. Most of these unions quads will fail because either the schools will shutdown the program, or the employees will be wasting their time not earning diplomas and then not making the NFL, making the employee status unpopular.

CPHawk

Reaction score
How hard is it for universities to break up the union? Like it or not, the NFL isn't an option for high school kids and Europe is gone. All schools have to do is take kids willing to play for free school and tell the rest to pound sand. If the NCAA stood together on that, the union would be gone pretty fast.

The union is only as strong as the people standing together. How many of you will let your son sit out on strike, and lose his scholie, over a few $? There is enough kids who know that playing college is as far as they will go, and having that paid for is good enough for them. It will be a tough road for the players in this fight, they have to hope everyone is in, because if only 40% really are then it will fail.

drrew

Reaction score
A great number of currently division 1 or FBS level football programs will simply fold is this goes too far down this track. A non flagship school like a San Jose State will just drop scholarship football, maybe going to FBS, maybe dropping the sport altogether. While I may not miss them as a fan, that's 25 fewer free educations kids got every year. San Jose State would represent just one of somewhere between 20 and 50 schools just like it. Buffalo, Temple, Florida International, the directional Michigan schools....they'll all fold.

In the state of Washington, employees are only eligible for a tuition waiver of six undergraduate credits per quarter. That's a state RCW. If you designate the football teams at UW and WSU employees, you'd need an act of the State Legislature to allow their entire tuition to be waived. Have you seen the Washington State legislature in action? Swift decision making is not their forte.

Now imagine these types of small issues cropping up all over the country. That's on top of the myriad of title IV lawsuits that will be filed.

The NCAA needs to get ahead of this and start offering up some sort of additional stipend for all scholarship athletes. Otherwise they're going to see the implosion of what they're currently sitting on.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2hjgjuyc said:
EverydayImRusselin":2hjgjuyc said:
Seahawkfan80":2hjgjuyc said:

Hey....that needs to include compensations for college attending too...which could be the 7k per year scholarship which means 17k per year. Once they open the can of worms or pandora's box, it takes a lot to close it.
I'm not sure what college you went to, but 7k is not what current scholarships are. For comparison, the average University of Washington scholarship is approx. 15k per year and Northwestern University, where this unionization fight is taking place, is approx. 31k per year.

justafan

Reaction score
Money has already ruined the college game I doubt this will make it much worse.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2io6ugd5 said:
EverydayImRusselin":2io6ugd5 said:
Seahawkfan80":2io6ugd5 said:

Not just that though, what happens if you don't go to class or get an academic probation? Can you be fired easily now? Is there a scholarship limit now? If we remove "scholarships" then why can't Alabama sign 100 guys every year?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SeatownJay":19gaqxqs said:
Seahawkfan80":19gaqxqs said:
EverydayImRusselin":19gaqxqs said:
Seahawkfan80":19gaqxqs said:

I'm not sure what college you went to, but 7k is not what current scholarships are. For comparison, the average University of Washington scholarship is approx. 15k per year and Northwestern University, where this unionization fight is taking place, is approx. 31k per year.

Thank you. I did not know. I only got an associates degree and had to work a full time job at the time supervising as well as doing 1/3 of the job daily. I took a few classes here and there just to finish and tried to not miss a day in class. When ya are in the service, the job comes first, college comes later if at all.

Sorry.
:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":x7wv6q24 said:
Seahawkfan80":x7wv6q24 said:
EverydayImRusselin":x7wv6q24 said:
Seahawkfan80":x7wv6q24 said:

Not just that though, what happens if you don't go to class or get an academic probation? Can you be fired easily now? Is there a scholarship limit now? If we remove "scholarships" then why can't Alabama sign 100 guys every year?

Colleges are limited to what SPORTS Scholarships they can offer. I am not sure of the Academic scholarships they are limited to. The Sports ones are I think to all sporting activities....including Lacrosse. LOL

joeseahawks

Reaction score
This is the best thing that could have happened to College Sports. It just doesn't make any sense that students have nothing to say, when everyone is making billions off their work and sweat. It simply doesn't make any sense. Coaches are getting paid. Schools are getting paid. Networks are getting paid ... And students are "getting a scholarship" to stay 1-3 years in school and then drop out anyway? or end up with some degree in "African American studies" or "Communication"? Give me a break. What about those who get injured ? Of course nobody cares, because they are no longer on the spotlight ... and they are someone else kid or family member ... Duh !!!
None of us knows what the landscape is going to look like in a few years, but it makes absolute sense to me , that College Students have a voice in this multi-billion dollars business. They need a seat at the table. Simply expecting other parties to do the right things for the college athletes has not proven to be the right thing to do. College football is not a charity, make no mistake about it. It is a cut throat business. Hell, even Charity in America is a business.
Fans are simply selfish and I get that. They want their free entertainment on Saturdays, while they are getting drunk on the couch ... But most don't give a damn about these Students, who aren't going to make it ... Cause those will just be statistics ...
It is time to reform college sport. If they stopped paying coaches and A.D. sometimes $5+ millions per year, they will realize there is plenty of money to go around for all sports (including Lacrosse and curling).

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Only way Northwestern gets in the news, might be the worst BCS football program in existence historically.

sc85sis

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2qjzdlc2 said:
Seahawkfan80":2qjzdlc2 said:
EverydayImRusselin":2qjzdlc2 said:
Seahawkfan80":2qjzdlc2 said:

They already do. ;-)