Draft Thoughts

seahawks51usc

Reaction score
1. I know everyone expects our 1st and 2nd round picks to be OL/WR but, assuming we don't trade down for more picks, I think PC/JS go after a LEO with one of those two picks. I like Jackson Jeffcoat and think he'd be a great fit at LEO. Marcus Smith also seems to fit the mold.

2. I just think the draft is so deep at WR that they'll wait until the later rounds to get a WR (unless Marqise Lee or OBJ falls to #32). WRs are among the highest bust rates in the draft and there's so many talented ones that you can get in the later rounds, so I think emphasis will be OT and LEO early. Look at the WRs on our roster - Baldwin, Kearse, Lockette were all UDFAs. I'm thinking they're gonna focus on the third tier of WRs like Cody Latimer, Devin Street, Mike Davis, etc. and hope that one of them falls to the 5th round, and pick up another UDFA. Martavis Bryant, Montcrief, K. Benjamin, etc. all have relatively high chances of being busts that I just don't see PC/JS going with those "high ceiling" WRs in Rd 1.

3. A lot of people have been assuming/hoping that our SB win gives us an advantage in recruiting Free Agents. At the end of the day, FA's go where the $$ is. HOWEVER, I think us winning the SB (as well as PC's "best player will play" attitude) will actually make a difference in recruiting UDFAs. Given the depth of this draft, there are going to be a lot of really good players that don't get drafted. Hoping that some of them end up in Seattle as UDFAs.

4. Jealous that the Niners have so many picks in the early rounds, but hey, we have the 32nd pick which matters most, right? Can't believe the draft is in May --- we're still a month and a half away.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hey,
Welcome to .net seahawks51usc

(edit: I just read your first post on Feb 6th. You were pretty close to spot on. Not re-signing Tate. Probably re-signing McDaniel over McDonald. Hill possible younger replacement for McDonald. Sounds like you have a good understanding of things. Look forward to more of your posts.)

I agree with most of your post. Yeah, WR's can sometimes not work out. But, not sure I agree about Bryant and Moncrief. Benjamin is said to have brick hands. But, if that guy turns out to be a player... watch out. The draft is a risk. So, sometimes it's worth taking a shot on those kind of guys if they can be had after the 1st round. There are a couple of other WR's that I think could be good finds for the Hawks in the draft.

I've gone over the current list of rostered players and I'm going to say that the team is basically down 5 players after all the activity thus far. But, the thought of having PerSEAHAWvin work with RW in the off-season and playing next season might more than balance out those losses. I see about 43-44 roster spots filled with the current players. Not locks (well, some of them), just making some safe assumptions. So, from the other 24-25 players there, the draft, UDFA, other players that come available... this roster is still top loaded and only in need to fill out the roster with 9 or 10 from all those guys that are going to be competing for spots. The only place I see the team a bit thin for competition is at LB.

Essentially, I think there will be roughly competition for the following spots: 3 OL, 2 DL, 2 DB, 2 LB, 1 WR. There's already guys on the roster that are going to be competing hard for those spots. As far as the UDFA... yeah, there's the open competition thing. But, also... it's such a deep roster that it may keep some from the Seahawks. But, they seemed to hit the jackpot with Bailey last year when similar things were said of the depth of the roster.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to add some picks (trade down out of the #32 spot would be a great idea, unless there's a guy they really like there.) Of course there's competition for every spot. But, I think there are players with an otherwise fairly solid hold on their positions / will be tough to beat out.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Great post, I feel like you are reading my mind. I actually just made a post about having an advantage with recruiting UDFA's on the general board before I saw your post.

Waiting to draft a big receiver like Donte Moncrief or Martavius Bryant at 64 would make a lot of sense. Of course, there is little guarantee that those players will still be on the board at 64. There is also the possibility that a receiver they love falls to them in the First Round, making it an easy choice.

With his history of injuries, I don't see them taking Jeffcoat in the First Round. It's possible he is there at 64. I think that would be a very good selection. I'm not sure whether LEO prospects will be a priority or not. Do they see Bruce Irvin moving back there? How much do they like Benson Mayowa? I have also seen a lot of attention given to Dee Ford, who looks similar to Irvin.

cubbyhawkfan

Reaction score
Something to consider in regards to who you named as guys who PC/JS would avoid: Don't rule out players based on what they cant do but what they can do.They love guys with a fire,and chip on their shoulders.Guys with extreme athleticism and SPARQ numbers.They like coachable players that they can mold.I swear i've heard that in a JS interview that its not what they do when they look at players is that they don't say "so and so" cant do this or do that but what they can do

Chawker

Reaction score
great first post 51usc!
We've lost Clemons & Tate which are our primary loses. (WR,DE) And a secondary lose would be Browner. (CB)
In no particular order we got (DE,CB,WR) are our big three, now we have players who can step up at WR & CB leaving us with a pass rusher needed in round 1. Trent Murphy could be a play that John & Pete are considering.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
The 64 picks between 64 and 128 have a lot of good players the Hawks could use. Trade for more picks is the only way to get into that 2-round gap in the draft.