Tooting my own horn

Chawker

Reaction score
My last years late round favorite player was Joplo Bartu LB Texas st. was picked up by the falcons were he started 13 games recording 47 solo tackles and 38 ast with 3.5 sacks. Not to bad for a undrafted free agent. Can anybody top that? 8)

SDHawk

Reaction score
Chawker":2jyx3nwg said:
My last years late round favorite player was Joplo Bartu LB Texas st. was picked up by the falcons were he started 13 games recording 47 solo tackles and 38 ast with 3.5 sacks. Not to bad for a undrafted free agent. Can anybody top that? 8)

JSeahawk was pumping Kiko Alonso, that worked out pretty well.

kearly

Reaction score
I still think Honey Badger is more lucky than good, but a lot of people were pumping his tires and they look pretty good right now. I wish I had been more supportive of Keenan Allen. I liked him, should have expressed my like more.

The draft takes years to know who's who, but after one year here are a few that I got right from last year:

I thought Zac Stacy and Andre Ellington were very good picks, I particularly highlighted Stacy as the guy to watch for from the Rams late round draft haul. I loved Christine Michael for Seattle and I thought he looked as good as I thought he would last preseason. I loved Bernard and Lacy too.

I was a little pissed that Seattle did not draft Colorado's David Bakhtiari who I thought was extremely under-rated. He had a very good rookie season starting for the Packers as a 4th round pick at offensive tackle. Micah Hyde was another day 3 player I loved who is also drawing rave reviews from Packers fans.

I was dead on the money about Dion Jordan. He is not an NFL DE, plain and simple. Any NFL personnel group that thought otherwise had an epic fail moment.

I had some whiffs. Matheiu (kind of), none of the top 3 tackles looked as good as I thought they would (that was consensus view though, and OL take years to develop), Mike Glennon was a little better than I thought he'd be, Ryan Swope never had a chance to make me look smart thanks to concussions, John Simon was a solid player but not a true star, not yet anyway. Tavon Austin struggled more than I thought he would, though he had excuses. There were some other players like Milliner and J. Jones who have a ton of ability but haven't lit the world on fire yet, but it's still early.

Though I would still debate the subject, my biggest miss was probably Matheiu. He's kept his nose clean and he would have been a very nice 3rd safety for Seattle.

SDHawk

Reaction score
kearly":3m9gve7o said:
I still think Honey Badger is more lucky than good, but a lot of people were pumping his tires and they look pretty good right now. I wish I had been more supportive of Keenan Allen. I liked him, should have expressed my like more.

The draft takes years to know who's who, but after one year here are a few that I got right from last year:

I thought Zac Stacy and Andre Ellington were very good picks, I particularly highlighted Stacy as the guy to watch for from the Rams late round draft haul. I loved Christine Michael for Seattle and I thought he looked as good as I thought he would last preseason. I loved Bernard and Lacy too.

I was a little pissed that Seattle did not draft Colorado's David Bakhtiari who I thought was extremely under-rated. He had a very good rookie season starting for the Packers as a 4th round pick at offensive tackle. Micah Hyde was another day 3 player I loved who is also drawing rave reviews from Packers fans.

I was dead on the money about Dion Jordan. He is not an NFL DE, plain and simple. Any NFL personnel group that thought otherwise had an epic fail moment.

I had some whiffs. Matheiu (kind of), none of the top 3 tackles looked as good as I thought they would (that was consensus view though, and OL take years to develop), Mike Glennon was a little better than I thought he'd be, Ryan Swope never had a chance to make me look smart thanks to concussions, John Simon was a solid player but not a true star, not yet anyway. Tavon Austin struggled more than I thought he would, though he had excuses. There were some other players like Milliner and J. Jones who have a ton of ability but haven't lit the world on fire yet, but it's still early.

Though I would still debate the subject, my biggest miss was probably Matheiu. He's kept his nose clean and he would have been a very nice 3rd safety for Seattle.

We all whiffed on Ryan Swope. Reason why I'm gunshy on Abby.

I believe I was first to mention Jordan Hill... though that isn't necessarily a good thing... yet.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Chawker":1f3vyo0a said:

I predicted Russell Wilson would be great before the hawks even drafted him. Bartu who? lol.

nyc-seahawk

Reaction score
I thought Miami trading up to get Dion Jordan was stupid, I was right. I thought Cobi Hamilton was going to make some noise, completely wrong.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":2gx8tfod said:

Good stuff up there, Kearly^.

I was on the Badger bandwagon. Didn't like the kid very much but felt he was a defensive version of Harvin (both good and bad). I can't pat myself too much on the back, though. I thought he'd go much later than he did.

Unlike Matheiu, I liked Wilson but didn't think RW would translate well to the pros. I'd call that a complete whiff.

My best had to be arguing for months that Griffin wasn't even worthy of a single 1st rd pick. Another more show than go guy. Jury's still out on that but thus far I feel vindicated (and wonder where all the smartass' are now?). I felt Cousins and/or Foles would be the wiser pick(s) and would have more productive careers.

I also felt Foles should be our pick to back up Flynn and called him the likely steal of the draft. Though, I did have him penciled in to be there when we picked in the 4th. Still real early on Foles but my opinion is stronger now than when he was drafted. Like RW, Foles was a steal and then some. Coincidently, I believe the Eagles were the only other team that expressed real interest in RW. So whomever is evaluating their QBs, he obviously knows what he is looking at.