Cody Latimer, 6'2 1/2" 215lb runs 4.38 40 on pro day

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Latimer from what I've seen has mostly generated talk of a mid round grade, but Matt Miller says today he has interest from several teams and suggests Latimer could sneak into the end of round 1. Ran a 4.38 40 at his pro day on a foot still recovering, so from what I can tell, still no agility drill numbers, but Latimer's vertical must be impressive based on his dunking skills in the video below.

Indiana wide receiver Cody Latimer is generating solid interest from the NFL. Sources in Latimer's camp tell me he's scheduled to meet with the Raiders, Eagles, Bills, Lions and Panthers in the coming weeks. ...

As long as his foot checks out for teams at individual workouts, he could surprise as a late first-round pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2007 ... ree-agency

[youtube]wqSAqtWmXuM[/youtube]

Update: Latimer's vertical was 39"
BjqScwICUAAc78x

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
College Pro Days...I'd honestly throw most of those times out the window as they are usually horribly skewed. Anthony Barr and 10 other UCLA players ran in the 4.4s at theirs...don't trust that at all.

That said...

Latimer is definitely being underrated by a lot of folks. Ex-Basketball guy with serious athleticism. He is definitely raw and needs some seasoning but I like him a lot more than quite a few guys (Jordan Matthews specifically). What excites me most is not only the athleticism, but also, despite being raw, he looks very natural as a pass catcher.

kearly

Reaction score
[youtube]Mu-UFQCGah4[/youtube]

I like him so far. Above average size, fast, great instincts both before and after the catch, good hands. Reminds me of Michael Floyd.

sutz

Reaction score
The thing is, even if he is a bit raw, our WR corps is not so thin that we couldn't take a 'Golden Tate' like approach with him and work him gradually into the starting lineup.

cover-2

Reaction score
This is my first look at Latimer and I am highly impressed with him. Great combination of size and speed. He looks to have good ball skills, hands catcher, good body control to contort his body to catch off-errant throws, he will go up and fight for contested balls, and he is an impressive blocker in the run game. As of right now I would have to vault him into my top-5 WR's in the draft, and he has the tools/upside of a late 1st round prospect. His playing speed seems to match the 40-yard time he ran, his 39 inch vertical also shows up in games, and I think his WR combine group leading 23 reps on the bench press is just an added bonus in the run game.

[youtube]2GsDaZOK4_M[/youtube]

[youtube]ZiwTVuD8k1M[/youtube]

Here is an interview from his Pro Day.
[youtube]H5huuThphds[/youtube]

Here is a nice one handed grab in what looks to be a team spring game.
[youtube]lM1xz2Iv3Aw[/youtube]

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Watched more on Latimer and am really, really impressed. Couple thoughts...

1. Definitely plays to his measurables. The speed, strength, and leaping ability show up. We hear a lot about SPARQ, but Latimer definitely lives up to it on the field.

2. Despite being a "basketball player," he did show some physicality in the blocking game. On one particular swing/screen pass for a TD, he flat out owns the DB and takes him out of the picture. Very good to see this as the stigma with "great athletes," usually implies a lack of "football physicality."

3. Still massive untapped potential. Despite pretty good production (for a bad team), Latimer does look like he can get to another level in every facet of the game. His leaping ability, while good IMO, can still get better (ie timing, more football experience). Strikes me as a guy who just needs more reps and better coaching.

4. Hands were more natural than I assumed for a raw WR. One particular long TD, he simply plucks the ball in stride for an easy TD. It was nice to see because a lot of guys will body catch these types of passes. Why does this matter? Because the ease in which he plucked it and the instinct to use his hands like that are not things that I think can be taught/coached. Every skill can be improved, but I think being a natural catcher of the football is just there or it isn't. As a baseball guy, this is always a fun thing to watch when looking at WRs, kinda like watching a really good shortstop or catcher.

5. What is his draft stock? This is the tricky part. The raw talent is there to be an excellent NFL WR. I've read everything from late rounder to a possible late 1st/early 2nd. A casual view made me think R3-5 guy, but upon further review, I wouldn't be shocked if he did indeed become a high 2nd rounder. Quite honestly, with the buzz that Moncrief and Bryant have made with their great combine, no reason that Latimer shouldn't be right there with them. In fact, I'd honestly prefer Latimer over Moncrief and Bryant. Despite being raw, my gut tells me that I trust Latimer to turn into a starting WR, while also possessing the upside to become a huge weapon. Bryant and Moncrief might possess slightly more upside, but I don't get that same gut feel that they are no brainer starting WRs.

6. Does he fit in Seattle? Absolutely. In fact, I could see him being very highly regarded due to his basketball background (think Mike Williams recruitment to USC). The physicality, athletic gifts, and untapped potential seem to fit the hallmarks of a Seattle Seahawk. Would they take him at 32? That would be a stretch to me at this point, but it wouldn't drop my jaw to the floor.

Latimer has an awful lot to like. He's right there (IMO) with Bryant, Moncrief, Coleman as bigger guys with massive potential. While he doesn't have the size of Coleman or the same speed as Bryant/Moncrief, he seems to be a much more natural catcher of the football. This aspect alone, especially in a run first offense (where every pass/catch/drop matters), I find myself liking Latimer the most out of this raw, upside group of WR prospects. As mentioned earlier, what the heck is his draft stock?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Watched some of his games yesterday. Really impressed. Yet another receiver to add to the list of options. R1-2 guy for me.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I like him largely because he's not afraid to get dirty. Very few blocks shown but what was shown, he put max effort into...ala Tate. Nice hands, fluid gate and he's got some big time hops. Basketball players playing football doesn't carry the stigma it once did. Athletes today are much more rounded and it seems a significant share of todays football players spend significant time on the court. The ability to correctly box out for a WR is huge and will always pay dividends.

On that note...is there anything more nauseating than witnessing the spectacle of grown men celebrating dunks at a dunk contest? Embarrassing, really. Knock it off.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sounds like he's coming off a busted foot and still isn't quite 100%. That makes his 40 and vertical even more impressive to me. He apparently didn't have the greatest start in his 40 either. I'm guessing he has legit speed somewhere in the 4.4 range.

He also mentioned in that interview that he was a special teams starter.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I smiled on one of those touchdowns, when he boxed the DB out like he was getting in position for a rebound.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2y5tsyfd said:
Recon_Hawk":2y5tsyfd said:
@RavensInsider: Seahawks to conduct private workout with Cody Latimer, according to league source. Stock rising for Indiana receiver
https://twitter.com/ravensinsider/statu ... 5163588608

Well, that just means we won't draft him lol.

They had Christine Michael in for a visit last year though and everyone assumed that he wasn't gonna be a Hawk, let alone their first pick in the entire draft.

you never know with these guys and where they have these guys graded after visits n such. Dude looks like a solid late 1st round to mid 2nd round guy to me though just off those clips.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'd love to go up and get the WR from A&M but no way we do that. This guy would be a more realistic pick up and he looks like he cod bring something we need.

jake206

Reaction score
I think he's going to be one of those picks that no one expects to get picked high. But he'll be gone before pick #32.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He looks really willing as a blocker. I love that. Doing the dirty work would help him see the field sooner if he's drafted. Worthy of #32, from what can see.

Reminds me some of Jabar Gaffney, but he looks much more explosive and physical.

jake206

Reaction score
He's exactly what's needed for flysweeps and read-option plays. He's a WR that doesn't just block his guy, but buries him.