Stephon Tuitt, DE, ND

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Stephon Tuitt is flying under the radar a bit. This guy is the closest thing to a 5 tech you can get. I have a feeling if he's on the board, the Seahawks will draft him. Sure Red Bryant replacement with more speed. Some projections, I've seen have him dropping to the end of the 2nd round. Did he have a bad combine/pro day? Not sure why such a discrepancy with him. Thought he'd be a sure top-20 DE.

Here's his profile - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/stephon-tuitt?id=2543483

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Taking Tuitt would give them more options at LDE and LDT. He has the versatility to play both positions because he possesses a great combination of power and speed for his size. He could also potentially play RDT in some of the pass rushing formations.

He had a great sophomore year, and then looked lifeless at times as a junior while playing through the pain of a hernia and stress fracture in his foot. If he played like he did as a sophomore in 2013, then the Seahawks wouldn't have a good chance to get him.

The question is will Tuitt play with the same intensity he had as a sophomore and for inconsistent moments as a junior, like the second half against rival USC, or will he continue to play lifelessly while battling through injuries that are a constant presence in the NFL?

I would be excited about the selection because of the obvious potential there. Then again, WR and OT could be greater needs this year.

cover-2

Reaction score
At this point Tuitt is a "boom or bust" prospect, but well worth the gamble at the bottom of the 1st round. If he can keep his weight down to around 300 lbs., which was his playing weight his sophomore year, then I think he could be a stud. IMO Tuitt's sophomore year he reminded me a lot of former Patriots All-Pro DE Richard Seymour (drafted 6th overall in the 2001 draft). After Tuitt's sophomore year he was a top-10 1st round prospect, if you think he can still be that Richard Seymour type of player then he would be a steal late in the 1st round.

Here is a highlight clip of Tuitt's sophomore year.
[youtube]twZ2sZAqnyM[/youtube]

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think Tuitt could be had cheaper with DE/DT- Brent Urban, Virginia, who may be available as late as the 6th rd.

My bet is the FO office debate is the following: Do we draft OT or WR @ 32?

Sherminator

Reaction score
I know many posters on the niner boards want him BADLY.
I would not be happy if you guys landed him with that 32nd pick, I think he has the versatility to play as a pass rush end in a 3-4, a DT in a 4-3, or even a DE in a 4-3.

That size and speed combination is scary, I think he is going to do some amazing things in the NFL

hawknation2014

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3ddcvqpa said:
I think Tuitt could be had cheaper with DE/DT- Brent Urban, Virginia, who may be available as late as the 6th rd.

My bet is the FO office debate is the following: Do we draft OT or WR @ 32?

Urban lacks Tuitt's high-level power and athleticism.

I agree that taking an OT or WR at 32 would be smart, but Schneider is pretty adamant about taking the best available player on their board, regardless of position. Hopefully that's an elite OT or WR.