AFC Exec-ASJ overrated "pain"

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I'm going to go with...

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

This isn't the first quote about ASJ not having the most glowing reports about his work habits, etc. We

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Maybe it's because I'm not a husky fan, but ASJ doesn't do it for me. He's got the size, but other than that he just seems pretty average. I'd be cool with him as a mid-round guy, but he'll be gone by then most likely.

JKent82

Reaction score
Smells like smoke to me. I don't think many agree he blocks like a receiver, I could be wrong though.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Poor work ethic, not explosive, and blocks like a player half his size. I don't think you consider him until the Third or Fourth Round. Since we don't have a 3rd round pick right now, I can't see the Seahawks taking him.

He's an Anthony McCoy type. And since they have hit on Willson, re-signed McCoy, and restructured Miller, I don't see any great need for ASJ.

kearly

Reaction score
ASJ is not going to fit teams looking for Vernon Davis types, and his lack of effort in pass protection is kind of alarming, actually.

I never got the hype at all with Ebron.

I think that exec was speaking his mind truthfully. Remember, it's just one guy's opinion, one opinion out of many. With the exception of Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning, just about every NFL star player had at least a few doubters. So one guy spouting off on his own doesn't really say a lot. Especially if I'm wrong and he really is trying to smokescreen.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This is a really weak year for TEs. I think someone overdrafts ASJ for that reason, and I doubt it's the Seahawks.

The only TE I really like is Troy Niklas because of his size, blocking, and hands. He would be a perfect complement to Willson and eventual replacement for Miller. But I wouldn't even consider him until 64 or below (due to his speed).

Ji6LWh

HawkWow

Reaction score
Replace "blocks like a WR" to "has the hands and agility of a WR", then you're speaking closer to truth. Anyone that seriously believes ASJ could drop to the mid rounds wouldn't be able to pass a piss test. I will be stunned if he's not a top 50 pick and I'd bet my house he's gone by the time we pick in the 2nd.

Has his superior size and agility allowed him to coast a bit? Perhaps. Did he have a great motivator in college? Hell no. Did a new offense, that he was not allowed to practice within, hurt his JR campaign? To the layman, yes. Absolutely. His numbers suffered. But did he become a more complete TE in the process? Absolutely.

I don't hang with ASJ or the Dawgs so I don't know if the kid is lazy. I do know he is a freak and I also know that money, NFL players and NFL coaches are great motivators. I am hoping for an OT with our 1st pick, but if we grab ASJ instead, I will be elated and believe all Hawk fans will ultimately be as well.

kearly

Reaction score
ASJ won't get out of the second. I think New England especially would sprint to the podium for him in the 2nd frame, and he'd make a lot of sense for a team like Atlanta too. I'm guessing Seattle won't draft him with the abundance of options at WR/OL that are expected to be available at #64.

HawkWow

Reaction score
^ I think Brady and Bill would kill it with ASJ.

I sincerely hope some of this less than favorable press inspires him to reach his potential. One tool was recently calling him "the 2nd coming of Jerramy Stevens". Stevens? Really? That's just lazy, if not flippant reporting, IMO.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I've seen Eberon play plenty and he has the talent. He is big, strong, fast, and athletic. He has very good hands. The problem with many of the UNC kids is that they tend to be a bit pampered and lack work effort and inteligence. I don't know where Eberon falls there. Only time will tell if he has what it takes to learn at the NFL level.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HawkWow":17nsfzn6 said:
Replace "blocks like a WR" to "has the hands and agility of a WR", then you're speaking closer to truth. Anyone that seriously believes ASJ could drop to the mid rounds wouldn't be able to pass a piss test. I will be stunned if he's not a top 50 pick and I'd bet my house he's gone by the time we pick in the 2nd.

Has his superior size and agility allowed him to coast a bit? Perhaps. Did he have a great motivator in college? Hell no. Did a new offense, that he was not allowed to practice within, hurt his JR campaign? To the layman, yes. Absolutely. His numbers suffered. But did he become a more complete TE in the process? Absolutely.

I don't hang with ASJ or the Dawgs so I don't know if the kid is lazy. I do know he is a freak and I also know that money, NFL players and NFL coaches are great motivators. I am hoping for an OT with our 1st pick, but if we grab ASJ instead, I will be elated and believe all Hawk fans will ultimately be as well.

Hands and agility of a WR? Get real. That is a homer comment if I have ever seen one.

Signed,
Someone who actually went to UW

HawkWow

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1kxars42 said:
HawkWow":1kxars42 said:

Hands and agility of a WR? Get real. That is a homer comment if I have ever seen one.

Signed,

^ LMAO. I have to assume the short bus took you and your classmates there on a field trip.

I don't mind you constantly following me around in here like some shitzu in heat, but it would be great if you sometimes offered an intelligent counter to my posts....or anyone else's for that matter.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HawkWow":ru02hgi5 said:
ImTheScientist":ru02hgi5 said:
HawkWow":ru02hgi5 said:

Signed,

^ LMAO. I have to assume the short bus took you and your classmates there on a field trip.

I don't mind you constantly following me around in here like some shitzu in heat, but it would be great if you sometimes offered an intelligent counter to my posts....or anyone else's for that matter.

That's cute you think someone would follow you around. Think highly of ourselfs do we? Show me a scouting report supporting your claim and I will show you 5 that don't.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1iq2sx1a said:
That's cute you think someone would follow you around. Think highly of ourselfs do we? Show me a scouting report supporting your claim and I will show you 5 that don't.
You first. I highly doubt you actually will follow thru.

drrew

Reaction score
ESPN for one lists him as having 'exceptional' ball skills and 'above average' separation skills.

His pass catching ability is unrivaled in this class of TE's, he absolutely has the hands of a top notch WR. I'm not sure agility is the right way to describe it, but for a man his size, he has world class body control, his ability to smoothly adjust his body to the ball in the air is amazing.

If (and it's a big if) he can acquire a world class work ethic, ASJ could be an all pro TE. If he just has a professional work ethic, I think he'll be similar to Marcedes Lewis who is a very good, but not game changing NFL TE. If he has a poor work ethic, he washes out.

ASJ is not Jerramy Stevens. He isn't a criminal, he's not a bad guy. He's actually quite an intelligent kid and while I think our Hawks have much stronger needs elsewhere, I would not be at all upset if we grabbed him at 64 as a value pick.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
drrew":74chgzzd said:
If (and it's a big if) he can acquire a world class work ethic, ASJ could be an all pro TE. If he just has a professional work ethic, I think he'll be similar to Marcedes Lewis who is a very good, but not game changing NFL TE. If he has a poor work ethic, he washes out.

You say he could be an all pro, then you say he'll be similar to Marcedes Lewis...... im confused by those comments.

McGruff

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3snqn2po said:
drrew":3snqn2po said:

You say he could be an all pro, then you say he'll be similar to Marcedes Lewis...... im confused by those comments.

They were pretty clear if you read . . .

World Class Work ethic = All Pro TE
Professional work ethic = Mercedes Lewis type
Poor Work ethic = wash out

Basically he's saying ASJ will go as far as his work ethic will take him.

Chapow

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":poyiuj6j said:
drrew":poyiuj6j said:

Damn dude, your reading comprehension really failed you here.

Honestly, that comment was so crystal clear that it's pretty shocking that someone could misread it that badly. Do yourself a favor and look up the definitions of the words "if" and "could" because you clearly don't understand what they mean.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Russ Lande via NFL scouts:

When [Austin Seferian-Jenkins] burst onto the scene as a true freshman in 2011, a number of scouts told me he possessed the rare combination of size and strength to be a great blocker, and the hands and receiving skills to make big plays catching the ball. Despite being overshadowed by others leading up to the draft, Seferian-Jenkins will definitely be selected before the second round is over and could sneak his way into the bottom of the first round. For teams that still ask their tight ends to block at a high level, he is the tight end they will likely look toward, as his ability to dominate defenders at the point of attack is rare for a player with his receiving skills.
More here