Rank the Non-Conference schedules: Pac 12

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Because it's the offseason and I'm bored, let's take a look at the non-conference schedules of the teams in the five power conferences, discuss, and rank them. With the 4-team playoffs starting this year there's a lot of talk that strength of schedule will play a big part in determining who gets in. We'll start with the Pac 12 since that's the conference that most of us are fans of. Here are the non-conference schedules of the 12 schools. Note that because Washington plays at Hawaii this year they have exercised the option of scheduling a 13th game to help cover the increased travel expenses of the program. Oregon State also plays at Hawaii this year but chose not to exercise their option for a 13th game.

Arizona: Nevada, UNLV, @UTSA
Arizona State: @ New Mexico, Notre Dame, Weber State
Cal: BYU, @ Northwestern, Sacramento State
Colorado: Colorado State*, Hawaii, @ Massachusetts
Oregon: Michigan State, South Dakota, Wyoming
Oregon State: @ Hawaii, Portland State, San Diego State
Stanford: Army, @ Notre Dame, UC-Davis
UCLA: Memphis, @ Texas, @ Virginia
USC: @ Boston College, Fresno State, Notre Dame
Utah: Fresno State, Idaho State, @ Michigan
Washington: Eastern Washington, Georgia State, @ Hawaii, Illinois
Washington State: @ Nevada, Portland State, Rutgers
* denotes game played at neutral site.

I think the clear winner of "hardest non-conference schedule" here is UCLA. They're the only team with multiple road games and both of them are to teams in other power conferences. Easiest might just be Washington.

Interesting note, 35% (13 of 37) of the Pac 12's non-conference games are played away from home.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seems pretty soft overall. Curious, why does Washington have 4 teams while every other teams has 3?

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
HawkGA":2rsimre0 said:
Seems pretty soft overall. Curious, why does Washington have 4 teams while every other teams has 3?
Allow me to answer your question with a quote.
SeatownJay":2rsimre0 said:
Note that because Washington plays at Hawaii this year they have exercised the option of scheduling a 13th game to help cover the increased travel expenses of the program.

Details of the "Hawaii Exemption" can be found here: http://www.fbschedules.com/2010/05/the- ... exemption/

DTexHawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3hhux2ph said:
HawkGA":3hhux2ph said:
SeatownJay":3hhux2ph said:
Note that because Washington plays at Hawaii this year they have exercised the option of scheduling a 13th game to help cover the increased travel expenses of the program.

Details of the "Hawaii Exemption" can be found here: http://www.fbschedules.com/2010/05/the- ... exemption/

A very diplomatic answer.

:th2thumbs:

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":3d674fx5 said:
UCLA has the hardest, followed by USC, and in third I'd say Utah.

I think USC and Utah could be flipped, really depends on Michigan.

@ Michigan could be the hardest matchup of all PAC-12 this year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I miss the days of "anyone, anywhere, anytime" when Pete was at USC, even though our team has been down because if sanctions. Hope we head that way again.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not really surprised at Washington, they want to start off building confidence and Peterson I am sure wants to evaluate better real time the players. I think things will toughen up going forward.

HawkGA

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3d4cgwfr said:
HawkGA":3d4cgwfr said:
SeatownJay":3d4cgwfr said:

Apparently you expect people to read the filler paragraph you had before you listed the schedules. :179419:

zifnab32

Reaction score
chris98251":b5n5hlq7 said:
Not really surprised at Washington, they want to start off building confidence and Peterson I am sure wants to evaluate better real time the players. I think things will toughen up going forward.

UW's schedule has been set for a long time, well before Petersen was hired

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
The toughest schedule I see there is Notre Dame. I think overall that is a weak OOC schedule all around.

chris98251

Reaction score
Conference schedules are pretty set, it's the tune up games that they typically add as filler yearly. Also it may have been in place since Sark left last minute so to speak. I do know they are always scrambling to find opponents to open the first few games of the season.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The full non-conference schedules are usually set a year in advance. For instance, Washingtons' 2015 non-conference schedule is already set (Sacramento State, @ Boise State, and either Hawaii or Utah State depending on which site you believe), but for '16 & '17 only one opponent has been set, a home & home series with Rutgers.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
UCLA has by far the toughest schedule with two roads games at Texas and Virginia.

I feel torn about ranking the next toughest schedule. The three toughest opponents out of the remaining schedules are Oregon vs. Michigan State, Stanford at Notre Dame, and Utah at Michigan.

Cal plays both BYU and at Northwestern, which are two games they will lose. With two quality opponents, they probably have the next toughest schedule.

USC and ASU get Notre Dame at home, and none of these other games are worth a damn.

Boston College, Fresno State, Illinois, and Nevada will all be really bad this year.

1. UCLA
2. Cal
3. Oregon
4. Stanford
5. Utah
6. USC
7. ASU
8. WSU
9. Oregon State
10. Colorado
11. Arizona
12. Washington