Tom Cable at Tennessee Pro Day

kearly

Reaction score
Was mentioned at the Seattle Times.

The Volunteers have five draftable offensive linemen this year: T Antonio Richardson, T Juwaun James, G Zach Fulton, G/C Alex Bullard, C James Stone. The two tackles are viewed as day two picks, while the interior guys are day 3 picks. It is possible that all five could be drafted. Rob mentioned yesterday that Cable worked out specifically with the two tackles, Richardson and James.

Richardson has some microfracture injury scares that will hurt his stock, but you can see the resemblance he has to the big lumbering types Cable likes such as Carpenter, Bowie and Bailey. James is a pretty big dude too.

[youtube]0voAlSsWqzc[/youtube]

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Kearly, got a question for ya I'm struggling to answer. What position do you think is the biggest need heading into the draft: RT or LG?

I know some people would say to draft a guy who can play both RT and LG (like Bowie) but I'd rather see them go after a guy who is more a pure tackle who can play either left or right side.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I'm not too concerned about left guard, though an upgrade would be nice. Carpenter is good against power rushers and is good in the power running game. And if he shows up this summer in shape for a change, he might actually turn into an above average player. Not holding my breath, but I don't see LG as a glaring need, especially if they slot Bailey there.

Tackle is a different story. Bowie doesn't look ready to handle top drawer pass rushers in our division and we don't have a viable backup for Okung either. Actually, we do, but Seattle doesn't seem keen on playing Bailey outside just yet.

Despite all this, I'm betting we still go WR with our first pick. We are one Harvin injury away from being neutered on offense. And Harvin has always found a way to miss games every season. Moving down won't be easy but this is a great draft to move down in for teams targeting WR and OL.

Jville

Reaction score
... you can see the resemblance he has to the big lumbering types Cable likes such as Carpenter, Bowie and Bailey.
That would seem to be is his modus operandi. Showing an interest in more of the same doesn't surprise me. For me, a feeling of resignation has settled in.

In fairness, I should acknowledge that complete confidence in and understanding of Tom Cable continues to allude me.

Thanks, for the update and video.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
James & Richardson -- big dudes with long arms.

That's kind of what we look for at tackle.

Jville

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":199yvo5v said:
James & Richardson -- big dudes with long arms.

That's kind of what we look for at tackle.

Why the preference for Bowie over Bailey ... by Cable? Bailey looked more fluid to my eye. Didn't understand that choice.

P.S. I'm not sure Bailey "lumbers" as obvious as Carpenter or Bowie.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think they maybe protected Bailey on purpose. He was outstanding in pre-season. He might leap forward in camp. I think Bowie was ready to start at tackle. Bailey ended his Arkansas career at guard.

Jville

Reaction score
Well ..... they had their reasons for holding off on Christian Michael as well. So ... guess we can look forward to seeing more of Alvin Bailey in 2014.

Since Tom Cable is the run offense coordinator, maybe he has just been setting up the opposition by sandbagging talent. Maybe that is a factor I am missing.

Jville

Reaction score
Tom Cable was at Miami on Thursday the 3rd.
According to a high ranking scout on hand for the Pro Day, offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson quit during a drill run by Seattle Seahawks' offensive line coach Tom Cable.
Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24512717/pro-days-miami-ot-seantrel-henderson-leaves-pro-day-early[/urltargetblank]
Henderson's agent, David Levine, later told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that his client "went there intent to do the bench and position drills, but his competitive spirit took over and he did a full combine. At the end of the workout he got dehydrated, started getting a super bad headache, felt like he was going to throw up and didn't do the last two O-line drills."

Official Miami Pro Day results and measurements >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=209452676[/urltargetblank]

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":33wtk8l8 said:
I'm not too concerned about left guard, though an upgrade would be nice. Carpenter is good against power rushers and is good in the power running game. And if he shows up this summer in shape for a change, he might actually turn into an above average player. Not holding my breath, but I don't see LG as a glaring need, especially if they slot Bailey there.

Tackle is a different story. Bowie doesn't look ready to handle top drawer pass rushers in our division and we don't have a viable backup for Okung either. Actually, we do, but Seattle doesn't seem keen on playing Bailey outside just yet.

Despite all this, I'm betting we still go WR with our first pick. We are one Harvin injury away from being neutered on offense. And Harvin has always found a way to miss games every season. Moving down won't be easy but this is a great draft to move down in for teams targeting WR and OL.

Thanks for the response. My thoughts are similar. I feel better about the LG position than RT, but I admit, I am hesitant to say I'm unconcerned. We've talked a lot about the importance of continuity with offensive linemen, yet Cable and Carroll still felt the need keep changing players at the LG position, even starting Bowie over Carp in the playoff game against the Saints! His first start of the season there, IIRC.

Kearly, what positions do you think Bowie and Bailey are best as? I ask thinking there might be a chance they view Bowie as a better LG than RT and Bailey still a development player, so leaving a big hole at the right tackle position for the draft.