Hypothetical Mack/Unger Scenario

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Suppose the Jaguars could sign C Alex Mack away from the Browns. Or I guess this scenario also works if Jacksonville is looking to buy a veteran Center.

Could you accept the Seahawks, if they wanted to, throwing Max Unger at either team for a 3rd Round pick, Browns are 71st overall and Jags are 70.

For the Browns, Mack to Unger is a drop-off but bang for your buck wise I'd say Unger wins.

The rest of Unger's contract is for 3 yrs, $13.75m in Base Salary and $17.3m in actual cap hits.

The rumor is Mack is looking at $22m alone in guaranteed money. So, Browns would be saving quite a bit and that 3rd round investment lost doesn't look too bad as they have 2 first rounders, a high 2nd rounder, 2 third round picks plus multiple fourth and sixth round picks. Unger for a 3rd round pick isn't bad in a draft where there isn't a home-run threat for the position.

Jaguars also have 2 fourth rounders, 3 fifth rounders, and two sixth rounders. So, losing that 3rd round picks doesn't hurt as well especially if they can get a team like the 49ers to throw them thier kitchen sink for a chance at Watkins/Evans.

For the Seahawks, they would save another $6.1m against the cap in 2014 plus $5.6m both in '15 and '16.

And the drop-off from Unger to Lemuel Jeanpierre isn't that substantial and I would even say LJP is a better fit for the system because he's a stronger run blocker and more stout against the bull-rush. Not to mention cheaper at $.95m in 2014. LJP might not be as tech savvy or heads up as Unger but that will come with consistent starting experience.

Furthermore, to fill Jeanpierre's back-up role Seahawks can sign Samson Satele for a 1 yr, vet min deal who was drafted by Cable in Oakland IIRC. There is also Jonathon Goodwin among a couple of other veteran centers.

Note: I'm not fully advocating or posturing for such a move but just creating a possible hypothetical in a very slow off-season discussion.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Carroll recently mentioned Sherman, ET, Russell, and Unger as guys who get it and understand what Carroll and the staff are preaching.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
That's some creative roster movement, and freeing up money is a good thing.

But when healthy, Unger is All-Pro quality. And when dinged up, he plays through injury admirably. I've thought he and Wilson could have a long partnership like Saturday/Manning where the two know the system and the play-to-play reads as well as anyone on the field.

Cartire

Reaction score
For as hard as it is to field a good o-line, trading away even a decent lineman is just asking for trouble.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Cartire":1yxoer21 said:
For as hard as it is to field a good o-line, trading away even a decent lineman is just asking for trouble.

I agree.
And new guys if even a little better, still need time, getting up to speed.
Not worth the gamble IMO

Hawks46

Reaction score
At first, I thought you were trying to figure out a way to trade Unger and pick up Mack.

I'd really like to see Mack on this team; he's durable and more physical than Unger, with all the smarts thrown in. If he isn't the best Center in the league, he's in the discussion.

That said, we couldn't afford Mack. JeanPierre is a good option, and I think we signed him to another 1 year deal to see how Unger looks this year. If he can't stay healthy, I'd be ok with signing Lem and trading Unger. I didn't see a lot of drop off with JeanPierre in there as opposed to Unger, while the run blocking looked a lot better.

I like Unger a lot, but he just didn't seem really any better than Lem did last year. The other question would be: accounting for Unger's injury, does JeanPierre's upside come close to, or surpass Unger's level of play? If so, there's another place we can save money.

nwgamer

Reaction score
Not even a chance in my mind. Why trade your all-pro center for a third rounder in a draft where it will be hard to replace and in a season your looking to draft a RT and Guard? No thank you.

Mojambo

Reaction score
People around here REALLY underrate Unger.

It's a shame.

drdevin

Reaction score
thank God someone made a new post! No, I wouldn't just want to get rid of Unger but I would be up with trading him IF I knew that we could add another guy in his place for less. Unger hasn't played up to his pay and if there's a hint that this will be a similar season for him, I'd take the risk and send him off. Mack would be in upgrade but I'm sure the front office doesn't want to pay that kind of cash. I think we just have too much OL needs this year to add to them. Next year sounds good with anyone including Okung or Unger if they're not performing.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I really think Unger played injured for a majority of 2013. He just never looked right following the couple of games he missed due to his arm.. I mean snaps were erratic, blocking was hit and miss, etc.

I think Max looks more like Max in 2014 when he's healed up and 100%.

So no.. would not move him for a 3rd. Especially since the interior of our line is already a pretty weak spot on the team.

Basis4day

Reaction score
drdevin":3o3ndd53 said:
thank God someone made a new post! No, I wouldn't just want to get rid of Unger but I would be up with trading him IF I knew that we could add another guy in his place for less. Unger hasn't played up to his pay and if there's a hint that this will be a similar season for him, I'd take the risk and send him off. Mack would be in upgrade but I'm sure the front office doesn't want to pay that kind of cash. I think we just have too much OL needs this year to add to them. Next year sounds good with anyone including Okung or Unger if they're not performing.

Considering he went on to be named All-Pro, 2x Pro Bowl, and won the Superbowl after he got his contract i'd say he was fairly compensated.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Wow, you shud call coach Pete AND scneider and let them know the plan

cacksman

Reaction score
I would actually be good with this scenario. The 3rd round picks would be early in the round, it would give us a shot at a very good player in this deep draft. It would save a bunch of money and it seemed like Lem played better than Unger every chance he got. Unger was still getting beat in the Super Bowl.

burgers_59

Reaction score
Very well though out plan, I love Jean-Pierre as a starter. Satele is a capable backup, and Jared Smith could fill in as well. Would take this deal, no question.

nepahawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":2ccn2xqk said:
Why does everyone want to hate Unger so much?

I dislike Unger for 1 simple reason.
I don't trust his shotgun snaps.
You could probably count on 1 hand, how many times Russell didn't have to adjust to his snaps.