Mike Evans, WR - if he goes to SF, ARZ, RAMS, then what?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
It's looking more and more like the Seahawks won't have much chance of drafting Mike Evans, WR. What if he's drafted by SF, ARZ or St Louis (quite possible), then what do the Seahawks have to do to defend him? I know Maxwell and Sherman can likely contain him, but we need a slot corner anyway. I just ran across the following individual game stat that I found interesting in this regard.

E. J. Gaines, CB, projected as a slot corner and rated as a round 3-4 prospect.
""First team all-conference in the SEC and was a first team All Big-12 corner in 2011. A three-year starter who is consistent in run support and matched up against the top receivers in the SEC in coverage, including projected early round draft choice Mike Evans (Texas A&M) who caught just 4 passes for 8 yards.""

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-de ... ines/91732
What do y'all think about this kid?

:49ersmall:

mbtitleist

Reaction score
We continue to play our defense and shut his ass down. If we can shut down guys like Megatron and Fitzgerald I'm not going to worry about Mike Evans.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Mike Evans is becoming a pre draft legend around here.

kf3339

Reaction score
mbtitleist":1xqhrfcd said:
We continue to play our defense and shut his ass down. If we can shut down guys like Megatron and Fitzgerald I'm not going to worry about Mike Evans.

^
This. Besides there have been plenty of 1st round WR's that have busted in the NFL. No one knows what he will do in the pros. As stated he has proven nothing in this league like Mega and Fritz so no one should be worried about a rookie WR.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
if he goes to SF, Kaep will throw his flat bullets that he'll have trouble adjusting to catching and be traded to the Chiefs as a first round bust after 2 years.

Bradford and Palmer don't scare me. They'll also have to find a credible threat at QB to raise my eyebrows. Give them a mobile QB who can extend plays with an accurate arm and a team commitment to power running and that will be something that will challenge our defense.

I'm not afraid of any team's WRs. That said, I wish we would do what it takes to get Evans, it's about time we had a WR that fits well with RW instead of making RW pay for their shortcomings.

Also, I do like E.J. Gaines as a nickel cb prospect.

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
My initial post was directed more towards the fact that E.J. Gaines completely shut down Evans for 4 catches, 8 yards. If Evans was on one of our twice a year rival teams, Gaines has shown he can defend Evans very well. The Seahawks are probably going to draft a CB somewhere in the middle rounds, perhaps as a slot corner which is a need, so why not E. J. Gaines? I also like the looks of S/CB-Dontae Johnson as a later round pick and I think the Seahawks will pick at least one CB to stock up the position.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
We shut down the "best" offense in NFL history. I wouldn't be worried about Evans in our division

Sherminator

Reaction score
Evans wont fall that far.
The only team in the NFC west who can get him is the Rams, which I doubt they do.

zifnab32

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1ehqfnu5 said:
It's looking more and more like the Seahawks won't have much chance of drafting Mike Evans, WR.

There was never any shot he'd be there at 32, guy's been a top 15 lock for as long as I can remember. Probably the #2 WR off the board after Watkins.

General Manager

Reaction score
As long as we have Sherman we'll be fine. I completely disagree with people that think we'll be fine without him.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Kam knocks him on his ass, max and sherm stick to him like stink on a monkey, and Earl steps in front of him to pick it off.

Eeek. Mike Evans. And Papaki, and the guy from the Bengals and Bradford.

Fart