Would the Jaguars Trade for the 32nd Pick?

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
Just to break the monotony of this grueling off season and try and get some discussion going. There is a chance Clowney Drops to 3rd Pick or maybe they get Mack either way the Texans pick first day 2, Jags need a QB. So does Houston. Do you think The Jags would unload Blackman and a second round pick to get our pick? I know he is a Pain in the Sack, but Pete seems to get those guys to buy in. So I ask would you take that trade, or maybe it isn't even a realistic trade, either way what do you think?

dracolich81

Reaction score
No way we trade up. We have too many players that may leave in FA in the coming years. We need picks. That being said, Clowney would be awesome here

OP
OP
SeaHawk80

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood we would be trading back to the second round and get Blackman.

kobebryant

Reaction score
SeaHawk80":3lnrmq93 said:
I think you misunderstood we would be trading back to the second round and get Blackman.

Which one would we get though? Shorts, Gratz, Cyprien, Bryant, Clemons?

Maybe Justin Blackmon

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I think it is entirely possible that we trade down. I don't know what that package would look like that though. It could be lucrative if there are two or three teams vying for one QB, and there's a bidding war.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Jags would trade Blackmon to move up from 39 to 32?

I rather have the 4th and 5th rounder we'd receive for moving down 7 spots.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Cali,

Kleenux called, they want you to endorse them, I heard you be working with Jim Harbaugh.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3m0jxqbp said:
Why is this in the main forum and not the fatasy or at the very least the nfl forum?
Why the change in font size people? I'm getting dizzy reading the posts.

JZ#1

Reaction score
With how good the Seahawks future draft picks are expected to be they would not get much value trading up. 2 first round picks plus an additional first day pick would not do it to move up. You probably are talking at least 3 first round picks to move up that high considering Seattle is almost guaranteed to be picking anywhere from 20-32 for the next few seasons.

Basis4day

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3j0r91vv said:
Very, very difficult to trade down from #32.

Depends on how the draft falls. 1st rd picks are 4 year contracts with a 5th year option. If there is somebody on the board that another team loves and wants the ability to retain for 5 years instead of 4 then it can easily happen.

Sac

Reaction score
Basis4day":2mo32ckz said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2mo32ckz said:

Depends on how the draft falls. 1st rd picks are 4 year contracts with a 5th year option. If there is somebody on the board that another team loves and wants the ability to retain for 5 years instead of 4 then it can easily happen.

This is actually a very good point.

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2osrf2ur said:
Basis4day":2osrf2ur said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2osrf2ur said:

This is actually a very good point.

The contract length is something I never thought of/knew. The reason I wondered why it would be difficult is because 32 is essentially the first pick of the 2nd day. If memory serves, the first picks of the 2nd and 3rd day are frequently traded. So why wouldn't 32 fall into the early 2nd day pick category? I'm wondering if ENGLISH is holding out a secret.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":5j07fo4m said:
theENGLISHseahawk":5j07fo4m said:

Interested to know why you state that?

If you're trading back into the first round, you're not likely to wait until the final pick of the day. After the Seahawks selection, that's it. Everyone packs up for the night. So if there's a guy you simply have to have, there are teams in the 20's (eg New England at #29) who would make reasonable trade partners.

There aren't many teams who trade back into the first. You're looking at 1-2 tops most years. And those who do move back in are looking for opportunities from 20-downwards. So there'd have to be some pretty weird negotiations going on so that a deal isn't do-able until the final pick.

It's no coincidence IMO that none of the Super Bowl winning teams have traded out of round one since they made round one-day one.

Also -- someone mentioned the fifth year contract option. That's as valuable to Seattle as anyone else. So moving out for a late round pick (let's be right, that's what you're going to get for dropping a few spots) isn't great value anyway. So there's every chance Seattle wouldn't get an offer they're interested in. Denver moved out of the first a couple of years ago and swapped 5th rounders with Tampa Bay. They didn't even get any new picks. I don't think it's worth moving down for that.

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3b5jn7kf said:
SomersetHawk":3b5jn7kf said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3b5jn7kf said:

If you're trading back into the first round, you're not likely to wait until the final pick of the day. After the Seahawks selection, that's it. Everyone packs up for the night. So if there's a guy you simply have to have, there are teams in the 20's (eg New England at #29) who would make reasonable trade partners.

There aren't many teams who trade back into the first. You're looking at 1-2 tops most years. And those who do move back in are looking for opportunities from 20-downwards. So there'd have to be some pretty weird negotiations going on so that a deal isn't do-able until the final pick.

It's no coincidence IMO that none of the Super Bowl winning teams have traded out of round one since they made round one-day one.

Also -- someone mentioned the fifth year contract option. That's as valuable to Seattle as anyone else. So moving out for a late round pick (let's be right, that's what you're going to get for dropping a few spots) isn't great value anyway. So there's every chance Seattle wouldn't get an offer they're interested in. Denver moved out of the first a couple of years ago and swapped 5th rounders with Tampa Bay. They didn't even get any new picks. I don't think it's worth moving down for that.

Ah yes, the value of the contract length makes moving out of the first less attractive for sure. A little trade chart analysis (draft value pts in parentheses), seems to suggest the following may be fair: Hawks 32nd (590) for Jags 39th and 105th (594). Question is: Is an early 4th enough to move down 7 spots, out of the first and the longer contract? Hmmmm.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
that 5th year option is most valuable if choosing a QB, since potential savings or another year to evaluate would be the greatest at that position. The value of #32 likely depends on how many QB's fall or who has QB's rated high 2nd with multiple teams having need... the cheapest trade up to jump those early QB hungry teams (if they don't take one in top 5) and get the 5th year would be with the Hawks.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
seatt1eslew":29ev50yt said:
theENGLISHseahawk":29ev50yt said:
SomersetHawk":29ev50yt said:
theENGLISHseahawk":29ev50yt said:

Ah yes, the value of the contract length makes moving out of the first less attractive for sure. A little trade chart analysis (draft value pts in parentheses), seems to suggest the following may be fair: Hawks 32nd (590) for Jags 39th and 105th (594). Question is: Is an early 4th enough to move down 7 spots, out of the first and the longer contract? Hmmmm.

Well let's assume that they draft a player they think will develop into a #1 WR. Well the market value for a #1 WR is pretty high. Wouldn't you rather have a 5th year option on that type of player? Don't you think they wish they had that option on Sherm? or Russ? The 5th year option is valuable, especially if you think you're getting a special player. Why would that be more valuable to the Jags who have a ton of Cap space than to us who have to be very efficient with our Cap space?

I also agree with Rob. The Jags may take every player Seattle cuts but they've been reluctant to trade with us. This is no different than last year when people thought the Jags would immediately trade for Matt Flynn.