Ranking All 128 College Football Head Coaches for 2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
13. Chris Petersen, Washington
Record at Washington: First Year
Career Record: 92-12 (8 years)
Washington’s Program Rank: No. 4 in the Pac-12, No. 23 nationally

Petersen is a tough coach to rank among his Pac-12 peers. Winning big outside of a BCS conference is a good sign, but the week-to-week grind in the Pac-12 or any of the other BCS leagues is another matter. In eight years at Boise State, Petersen elevated the program to new heights. The Broncos went 92-12 and recorded four top-10 finishes in the final Associated Press poll. Also, Boise State claimed two BCS bowl victories and claimed at least a share of five conference titles. Another notch in Petersen’s resume was the Broncos’ track record against BCS teams. Boise State defeated Oklahoma, Oregon, Virginia Tech and Georgia in non-conference or bowl games during Petersen’s tenure. The California native is a good fit at Washington and inherits a solid core of talent to work with in 2014. If there’s any concern about Petersen, it has to be the track record of former Boise State coaches leaving to take BCS jobs. Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins struggled at their next stop after leaving Boise State. Despite the lack of success by Hawkins and Koetter, all signs point to Petersen being a home-run hire for Washington.

- See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... h3Ncw.dpuf

kearly

Reaction score
I do think Peterson is a very good coach, but I think that article is way too high on UW in general. Peterson might have been the 13th best coach nationally at BSU but we don't know how he'll translate to a big school. UW has some things going for it but has major questions at QB and lost a ton of talent on offense this offseason. I think with Miles at QB we are probably in for a 6-6 or 7-5 type season, and it's only that high because the out of conference slate is very weak this year.

I think if Peterson gets us to 8 wins next year I'd be very happy with that.

Interesting to see that Petrino ended up back with Louisville.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said Kearly. UW lost so much that is likely to be a rebuilding year. But Petersen will have them contending for conference championships in the next four years, unlike Sarkisian who was a perennial 5-4 in conference play. I agree with his ranking at #44 and don't see him at SC four years from now.