Forgotten WR?

norcalhawk

Reaction score
I feel like since the combine where he didn't run the fastest 40, he's been talked about less than others. My coworker went to Penn State and raves about him.

But his pro day results should help his stock:

"With a 4.47 time in the 40, 42-inch vertical and 6.53 three-cone at State College, Robinson vastly improved his athletic results from Indy: 4.60, 39-inch vertical, 7.00 three-cone. He also added four inches to his broad jump (131 inches Tuesday)."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... penn-state

How does he compare to the other possible late 1st/2nd round WRs?

Sherminator

Reaction score
norcalhawk":2mvn5woc said:
I feel like since the combine where he didn't run the fastest 40, he's been talked about less than others. My coworker went to Penn State and raves about him.

"With a 4.47 time in the 40, 42-inch vertical and 6.53 three-cone at State College, Robinson vastly improved his athletic results from Indy: 4.60, 39-inch vertical, 7.00 three-cone. He also added four inches to his broad jump (131 inches Tuesday)."

On the ninerwebzone people have been giving him a hard look.

He almost sealed his fate with a bad combine, I had him in the 2-3 round before the combine... But after I had him dropping to 5-6
That pro-day result should help. I think he is a very, very good open field runner. He makes a lot of plays out there that some WR just don't. You can also tell he has that motor, watching him this season i could tell he always fought for those 1-2 extra yards.
I don't think he is a guy that can come in and beat some of the WR you have on the seahawks, I don't see him beating out Baldwin, or Kearse (and obviously Harvin) which means he wouldn't be very productive.

I think this guy is the hidden gem of this years draft.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... en-beckham

If he can keep his head on straight

ARhawk

Reaction score
Sherminator":x4wxqlwv said:
norcalhawk":x4wxqlwv said:

He almost sealed his fate with a bad combine, I had him in the 2-3 round before the combine... But after I had him dropping to 5-6
That pro-day result should help. I think he is a very, very good open field runner. He makes a lot of plays out there that some WR just don't. You can also tell he has that motor, watching him this season i could tell he always fought for those 1-2 extra yards.
I don't think he is a guy that can come in and beat some of the WR you have on the seahawks, I don't see him beating out Baldwin, or Kearse (and obviously Harvin) which means he wouldn't be very productive.

DGB isn't in this years draft because he's only played 2 years. He also just recently got suspended from his team indefinitely

Sherminator

Reaction score
ARhawk":ounp1fo2 said:
Sherminator":ounp1fo2 said:
norcalhawk":ounp1fo2 said:

DGB isn't in this years draft because he's only played 2 years. He also just recently got suspended from his team indefinitely

Maybe i'm wrong,
But can't he declare for the sup?
Or does he have to wait a year for that as well

ARhawk

Reaction score
Sherminator":ct1xrumy said:
ARhawk":ct1xrumy said:
Sherminator":ct1xrumy said:
norcalhawk":ct1xrumy said:

Maybe i'm wrong,
But can't he declare for the sup?
Or does he have to wait a year for that as well

He has to be three years out of high school before he can declare for the draft

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Myself and a few others have talked a bit about Robinson over the last couple months, but I'd say the main reason he hasn't been talked about as much (despite some great tape) is that he doesn't pass the test measurables that (I'm guessing) the average draft fan who doesn't watch much tape use as their main part of the evaluation process. (There's some good conversation from an earlier thread you might like)

It happens every draft year. Players are hardly even looked at, let alone viewed as a high pick, but they post an amazing combine or in some cases Pro day performance (Moncrief, M. Bryant, Cody Latimer) and their draft stock skyrocket because of "potential" and "measurables". Guys have a poorer combine (Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Keenan Allen of last year) and their draft grade tanks because they're "limited".

In some cases, the combine and pro day's serves it's purpose. Us arm-chair scouts take notice and go back to the tape to see what we missed and find players who were legitimately undervalued, but many times the test numbers are a tool that gets overused, imo.

The funny thing is that AR's combine numbers caused a lot of people to downgrade him, but had AR had posted his Pro Day numbers at the combine he'd still be in discussion as a top receiver in that second tier. His tape hasn't changed, but it's those numbers that affected his grade :?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Robinson's tape because he isn't that explosive. The three most talked about WRs on this board (Evans, Robinson, and Benjamin) are not at the top of my wish list.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Watched another game of his last week.

He's just average compared to some of the other receivers in this class.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Sherminator":3em785vq said:
I had him in the 2-3 round before the combine... But after I had him dropping to 5-6

That's ridiculous. No way he was ever a 5-6 round pick, and I'd be incredibly surprised if he made it to the 3rd.

hawknation2014":3em785vq said:
I'm not a huge fan of Robinson's tape because he isn't that explosive. The three most talked about WRs on this board (Evans, Robinson, and Benjamin) are not at the top of my wish list.

Maybe not explosive in terms of having that extra gear but I'd say he's pretty explosive off the line and out of his breaks; it's where he wins most of his routes.

Athletically he can be compared to Cody Latimer (especially after these recent pro day results), who we're believed to value very highly, but I like Robinson's tape better and think he'll be the more immediate contributor. I've never seen a WR draw more pass interference fouls. Honestly, watch his game tape, it's ridiculous.

I'd be happy if we took him at #32, and ecstatic if we landed him at #64. I expect him to be high on our board and think there's a decent chance that he, Latimer or Janis will be a Seahawk come May.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of Robinson. I think his one elite quality is his ability to navigate traffic (something I think he does better than anyone in this class). But I don't think that skill translates to the NFL well, and particularly doesn't translate to the NFCW where the talent on Defense is just incredibly fast and physical. I think Robinson can have an impact, but I think it will be on a team like NE or Den which uses the short passing game alot and they can maximize his elusiveness. Robinson is quick but I didn't see him win contested balls on a consistent basis and while he has some high point ability I didn't think that was consistent either. He's a good player, but I don't see him more than a Day 2 prospect and I don't think he'd ever reach his full potential in the NFCW. I just think he needs an elite QB and finesse high volume passing game with lots of short passes.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":15wqr3ii said:
Watched another game of his last week.

He's just average compared to some of the other receivers in this class.

This deep WR class isn't doing him any favors, but he's a legit talent.

Calling him average compared to other receivers just depends on who and what you're comparing, I guess. There are things AR is better at than guys like M. Bryant, Moncrief, and Coleman to name a few (ball skills, route-running, cuts, hops, short area quickness, vision, creativity w/ the ball) but then there are things those guys are better at than AR (speed & size:two big categories, I'll admit).

One thing to remember, this kid is only 20 years old. He's got room to grow, physically and mentally.

hawknation2014":15wqr3ii said:
You've got to admit, a 4.47 time in the 40, 42-inch vertical, 131 inches broad jump, and 6.53 three-cone is pretty good numbers for a guy that isn't that "explosive". His athleticism is deceptive.

Sherminator

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1jz9jmhi said:
Sherminator":1jz9jmhi said:
I had him in the 2-3 round before the combine... But after I had him dropping to 5-6

That's ridiculous. No way he was ever a 5-6 round pick, and I'd be incredibly surprised if he made it to the 3rd.

Not as far-off as you might think.
Excluding his pro-day, and only including the combine.

Robinson is a guy known for being explosive, and a GREAT open field runner who is very agile for his size.
At the combine he goes 4.6, 7sec 3 cone drill, 11.36 in the 60 shuttle... All VERY pedestrian times for a WR in the draft, let alone a WR who is known for the previous skill set I listed.

To put things in perspective, Kevin Norwood (I know they aren't the same WR but they do play a very similar style, and in fact I think Norwood might have better hands) is projected to go rounds 5-6.
At his combine he ran 4.47, 6.68 3 cone drill, and 11.46 in the 60 shuttle.
^Thats a better combine than Robinson.

Looking at it from a draft perspective these are players I put in front of him after the combine (not in order of draft stock, just random)

1. Watkins
2. Evans
3. Cooks
4. Lee
5. Beckham Jr
6. Bryant
7. Moncrief
8. Benjamin
9. Adams
10. Matthews
11. Richardson
12. Ellington
13. Landry
14. Coleman
15. Latminer

^All of those guys had better combines, I'm confident when I say teams would take these 15 players I have listed before Robinson

Just for the sake of argument, and because I don't feel like doing a 4-5 round mock draft

In 2013 the 15th WR taken was Kenny Stills with pick 144 (middle of round 5)
In 2012 the 15th WR taken was Jarius Wright pick 118 (middle of round 4)
In 2011 the 15th WR taken was Kealoha Pileras with the 1st pick of the 5th round

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Sherminator":bj6iuvu0 said:

Robinson is a guy known for being explosive, and a GREAT open field runner who is very agile for his size.
At the combine he goes 4.6, 7sec 3 cone drill, 11.36 in the 60 shuttle... All VERY pedestrian times for a WR in the draft, let alone a WR who is known for the previous skill set I listed.

To put things in perspective, Kevin Norwood (I know they aren't the same WR but they do play a very similar style, and in fact I think Norwood might have better hands) is projected to go rounds 5-6.

Looking at it from a draft perspective these are players I put in front of him after the combine (not in order of draft stock, just random)

1. Watkins
2. Evans
3. Cooks
4. Lee
5. Beckham Jr
6. Bryant
7. Moncrief
8. Benjamin
9. Adams
10. Matthews
11. Richardson
12. Ellington
13. Landry
14. Coleman
15. Latminer

^All of those guys had better combines, I'm confident when I say teams would take these 15 players I have listed before Robinson

Sure, exclude his pro day, but then factor in that Robinson was 20lbs heavier than Norwood, and you excluded his short shuttle (PC and JS value it a lot higher) which was elite.

It's all very well being confident in something that can't be proven, but there's no point arguing whether or not he'd have dropped to the 5/6 round on his combine (he wouldn't), cause the guy just tore up his pro day after shedding a few pounds and I doubt he sees it past the 2nd.

Glad you bought up Norword though, now there's a forgotten WR that I rather like.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":7n6vm6vz said:
Sherminator":7n6vm6vz said:

1. Watkins
2. Evans
3. Cooks
4. Lee
5. Beckham Jr
6. Bryant
7. Moncrief
8. Benjamin
9. Adams
10. Matthews
11. Richardson
12. Ellington
13. Landry
14. Coleman
15. Latminer

Sure, exclude his pro day, but then factor in that Robinson was 20lbs heavier than Norwood, and you excluded his short shuttle (PC and JS value it a lot higher) which was elite.

It's all very well being confident in something that can't be proven, but there's no point arguing whether or not he'd have dropped to the 5/6 round on his combine (he wouldn't), cause the guy just tore up his pro day after shedding a few pounds and I doubt he sees it past the 2nd.

Glad you bought up Norword though, now there's a forgotten WR that I rather like.
\

Robinson is a good athlete, but he doesn't show that explosiveness on film.

I would have Marqise Lee 3rd because he has a bigger catching radius, better body control, and is more dynamic after the catch. I would also have Adams and Landry much higher for the same reasons.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1w2w3tdt said:

I would have Marqise Lee 3rd because he has a bigger catching radius, better body control, and is more dynamic after the catch. I would also have Adams and Landry much higher for the same reasons.
I like Landry, but he's not a "dynamic player after the catch". He's more a possession receiver ala Anquan Boldin. I don't think he's catching radius is that good either. If the ball hits his hands, it is going to be a completion which I think is why he'll succeed (strongest hands in his class), but he's not in the same category of Adams and Robinson in their ability to go up and get the ball.

IMG 6570 580x348
usatsi_7587531.jpg

This article does a good job proving Landry's lack of YAC:
"Jarvis Landry’s 5.5 yards after the catch is a bit disappointing. Operating out of the slot nearly 50% of the time, LSU puts him in a position to gain good yardage on slants and posts but he just hasn’t been able to translate that into excellent yardage after the catch."

Sherminator

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":mla3evm2 said:

The original post I had talked about excludes his pro-day.
I posted that I had done a draft ranking after the combine, before his pro-day. In that draft ranking I did I had him going round 5.

I do agree his pro-day puts him back on top to round 1 (theres a small chance) most likely 2.

I'm just saying, for the skill set he is known for, and the way he performed at the combine, a lot of GM's looked to other WR with similar skill sets that performed better. (thats just my thinking)

I do agree about Norwood though. I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out why he is projected to go so low. I mean espn puts people like Josh Huff, Mike Davis, Tj Jones in front of him.
Really?

Sherminator

Reaction score
hawknation2014":5yq662hk said:
SomersetHawk":5yq662hk said:
Sherminator":5yq662hk said:

1. Watkins
2. Evans
3. Cooks
4. Lee
5. Beckham Jr
6. Bryant
7. Moncrief
8. Benjamin
9. Adams
10. Matthews
11. Richardson
12. Ellington
13. Landry
14. Coleman
15. Latminer

\

I do agree with you though

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Sherminator":4v27tufc said:
SomersetHawk":4v27tufc said:

I posted that I had done a draft ranking after the combine, before his pro-day. In that draft ranking I did I had him going round 5.

I do agree his pro-day puts him back on top to round 1 (theres a small chance) most likely 2.

I'm just saying, for the skill set he is known for, and the way he performed at the combine, a lot of GM's looked to other WR with similar skill sets that performed better. (thats just my thinking)

Soooo..
Before combine: "He's a 2nd/3rd pick"
After combine: "OMG those test numbers! A 5th round pick!"
After ProDay: "OMG those test numbers! A 1st/2nd round pick!"

Really?? :lol: :lol:
GM's do not use the combine and Pro Day as their main source of evaluation and they certainly wouldn't drop or raise the stock of a prospect +/- four rounds because of it, either.
:49ersmall:

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2xdzcxu5 said:
Sherminator":2xdzcxu5 said:
SomersetHawk":2xdzcxu5 said:

Soooo..
Before combine: "He's a 2nd/3rd pick"
After combine: "OMG those test numbers! A 5th round pick!"
After ProDay: "OMG those test numbers! A 1st/2nd round pick!"

Really?? :lol: :lol:
GM's do not use the combine and Pro Day as their main source of evaluation and they certainly wouldn't drop or raise the stock of a prospect +/- four rounds because of it, either.
:49ersmall:

I think that's right. Robinson is probably in that 50-75 range on most draft boards.