My take on Joel Bitonio

kearly

Reaction score
I actually have a tiny bit of free time today, so I figured I'd take this opportunity to weigh in on Joel Bitonio in a more in depth manner than I had done so previously. There are some things I'm seeing in his game that I'm not really hearing others talk about just yet, so I feel this opinion needs to be expressed.

First off, I think Bitonio is obviously a good athlete. If there is a SPARQ rating for OL, he's probably #1 among the draftable prospects. His combine did him a world of good, and when Rob compares his measurables to Logan Mankins it is hard not to be amazed by the degree of similarity.

Mankins himself played for Fresno State, currently a Mountain West Conference rival to Nevada. Mankins obviously made the jump just fine. I'm not the biggest fan of comparing prospects just by numbers though, I'm much more comfortable making comparisons based on the eyeball test. I don't know much about how Mankins plays the game so I don't know how Bitonio compares.

Anyway, I don't think Bitonio moves quite as well as his combine numbers suggest, he doesn't fly around to the degree that guys like Xavier Su'a-Filo do (I'm not a fan of Su'a-Filo, but the dude deserves his due- he can haul ass). That said, he should be more than quick enough to handle duties as a pull blocker in Tom Cable's scheme. I think Bitonio comes very close to being in the same mold as guys like Sweezy and Unger because of his lack of weight, lack of lower body power, but compensates with quickness, relatively long arms for pass protection, and nasty.

I think Bitonio's greatest asset is his combination of effort and athleticism. Look at how quickly JR Sweezy became an NFL starting guard, holding his job this whole time, because he had those two qualities in abundance. Bitonio is also a really accomplished cut blocker who I'm sure will draw ire from opponents. Really, the more I watch his game the more I think I'm watching 2013 Sweezy.

I think however much you like Bitonio, you should grade him as a guard, not a tackle. Tackles play on an island often with no help outside, so this necessitates playing with both head and shoulders cocked back as far possible. Otherwise, the defender can grab the tackle, yank him forward, and then dip and rip past him all in one motion. Bitonio plays with a lean and pinches his shoulders forward. He is not terrible in pass protection but he looks oh so much like a guard when he pass protects, and this is typically not something that is coachable. Against FSU he struggles against pass rushers who stay low and attack him outside. He could probably "flex" to play tackle in emergencies but he will be an exploitable weakness there against elite pass rushers most likely.

My biggest issue with Bitonio is his run blocking, particularly his poor leverage, reliance on getting away with holds in the run game, and lack of lower body usage.

When engaging his assignment on a run play, Bitonio starts high and stays high, standing almost straight up, back arched. At this point he has close to zero lower body power, meaning that blowing an assignment straight back without double team help is pretty unlikely. Instead, he routinely engages in arm battles where he grabs and yanks the defensive lineman, at most he might turn the player 90 degrees and accomplish the one thing John Moffitt was actually good at, what I call "clutch blocks." Bitonio doesn't overpower guys, but he can turn them out of a play or do just enough to occupy them as the RB whooshes by. The problem is, on power running plays you are going to need to do more than occupy a blocker, and Seattle's biggest weakness last year was in the power run game, where they were near the very bottom of the league despite rushing for a ton of yardage overall.

When Bitonio does move a guy (by himself), it is just about always laterally. A defender shoots a gap and Bitonio pushes him from the side where the defender has no ability to resist movement. These are blocks any NFL lineman can make, and even Bitonio, standing tall and essentially blocking the guy with his wrists and his belly button, can move defenders laterally in these situations. You take these plays out of consideration and Bitonio almost never dominates on 1 on 1 drive block battles.

Because Bitonio plays very high in the run game and relies on his upper body to generate run blocking movement, it shouldn't be a surprise that this guy holds like a sumbitch in the run game. I was stunned how often Bitonio visibly held or yanked a defender in the run game, and yet he was never called for it. Maybe Tom Cable doesn't mind this trait, because under Cable the Seahawks have racked up holding penalties on running plays, especially when Robert Turbin decides to break one.

I think as an interior lineman Bitonio will be a slightly above average NFL player which actually makes him a good value at the #32 pick, which isn't nearly as valuable as people believe it to be. If you get a solid player in that range you are doing better than most. For as much as we lament the James Carpenters, Lawrence Jacksons, and Kelly Jenningses, the surprising fact is that all three of those players are basically par for the course in that draft range, which is loaded with draft busts and mediocre journeymen.

I think if we draft Bitonio, he'd probably be a good pass blocker at LG, a good pull blocker, but a mediocre at best power run blocker and probably a guy that is going to draw a lot of flags in the run game. If our goal is to improve a woeful 2013 interior power blocking performance, Bitonio is far from the best choice. If Seattle cares more about interior protection and pull blocking than power blocking, then Bitonio makes sense. And if Seattle drafts Bitonio, they need to be prepared for the likely event that he won't be a future replacement for Okung at LT, though he eventually might prove to be a replacement for JR Sweezy.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
You have definitely put more time into watching him but I have to say I had some of the same feelings watching him run block he just doesn't generate any push. I know Rob loves him but I would be disappointed picking him at 32.

Sac

Reaction score
Natethegreat":7ml9byaw said:
You have definitely put more time into watching him but I have to say I had some of the same feelings watching him run block he just doesn't generate any push. I know Rob loves him but I would be disappointed picking him at 32.

Bitonio isn't a 1st round guy. More likely a 3rd, 4th.

Reaction score
Thanks, Kearly. I've always appreciated your draft insight. Who do you feel would be a better lineman option at this spot in the draft? Why is Yankey not getting any love on this board? Bad scheme fit? Thanks!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I would also be disappointed with him at #32. At #64 I would be ok with it, but would prefer a RT and I don't think he can play tackle. I think we have enough G's on the team that are just as capable.

kf3339

Reaction score
Very good analysis Kearly, but I would like your opinion in the same detail on Morgan Moses, if possible. I think he will also be there at #32 and is a much better prospect as our RT and possibly LT when needed IMO.

Hope you or others have the chance to comment on Moses.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
InadvertentSmell":gad2lemy said:
Thanks, Kearly. I've always appreciated your draft insight. Who do you feel would be a better lineman option at this spot in the draft? Why is Yankey not getting any love on this board? Bad scheme fit? Thanks!

I like Yankey, his combine was awful but he has the best tape of any guard prospect this year IMO. He reminds me of Rob Sims.

Scottemojo PM'd me a few weeks back, sharing that he thought Billy Turner was the next Ryan Clady, and after studying Turner against Kansas State I ended up being even more enthused for Turner than Scottemojo was.

Very good analysis Kearly, but I would like your opinion in the same detail on Morgan Moses, if possible. I think he will also be there at #32 and is a much better prospect as our RT and possibly LT when needed IMO.

Hope you or others have the chance to comment on Moses.

I've commented on Moses before. He lacks nasty and mobility, but he does mostly well in pass pro with his very long arms and road grader power in the run game. Similar player to D'Brickishaw Ferguson. He kind of seems lazy though, and after what happened last year with some of the OL decisions (Person was utterly terrible last preseason, but Tom Cable ranked him above Bowie or Bailey) I think this kind of thing might be a big deal for Cable. Cable is a tough guy to figure out though. He's all over the place with his evaluations and preferences.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kearly":ax9wrdqg said:
Cable is a tough guy to figure out though. He's all over the place with his evaluations and preferences.

Stumbled across this article on Sparq ratings of O-linemen earlier and it made me think perhaps we're a lot less difficult to figure out on OL than we thought. http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... in/4125461

There are exceptions on there, but for the most part we seem to be pretty transparent. The guard with the highest sparq this year would only rank 4th out of our guards (granted there'll be some OT and even DT converts) and we have 8 o-linemen with grades that are Top 20 this year across tackle, guard and centre.

Of course, we have to consider that we've built this unit around late picks and free agents, and two of our three early O-line picks (Carp and Moffit) don't really match the trend, but with these guys being little more than serviceable, I'd bet if we go OL with the first couple of picks it's going to be a Bitonio/Su'a'filo/Trai Turner, though I don't think we will. I'm not sure we'll take a guard, and I don't necessarily think the right Tackle's there (unless maybe Bitonio is there at #64).

I'm looking out for Matt Patchan and Laurent Duvernay Tardif in the later rounds, and maybe a slightly less 'Sparqy' guy if we really like his tape.

As for Person, looking at his workout measurabes it seems he'd have likely been in and around Bailey's Sparq rating, but may have been favoured because of experience.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Two players can have the same total sum score on a SPARQ rating and still be vastly different types of players. So far Seattle has shown a tendency to go for skinny, undersized interior guys who can move and big fat bulky road grader types outside, with the exception of Giacomini who was a lean, mean road grader type. But then they move the big fat guys inside (Carp, Bailey, Bowie) and then it just all goes out the window.

The one commonality seems to be height. Cable likes taller linemen for the most part, at Oakland this preference was even more pronounced.

two dog

Reaction score
Laurent duvernay tardif ("call me Larry") and Matt Patchen certainly have "SPARQy" numbers. Do you have film on them and if
so, how do they grade ? One of the more interesting names on Field Gull's SPARQ table of DL to OL conversions is Caraun Reid.

Do you give any credence to the story that Tom Cable brings PC and JS a list of 5/6 names that will be drafted between 5th to 7th
rounds and lets them work off that? I wouldn't dismiss it too quickly, given the past few drafts. The current need may be acute
enough to make a more of a priority than it has been in past years.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This is an excellent take on Bitinio. I would be thrilled with taking him at 64. Although I'm not sold on him as a tackle prospect, he is probably the best guard in this draft.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Excellent analysis Kip! I always lean on your evaluation of offensive linemen, so keep it up! (for those who don't know, Kip played O-line at D-II level, so he's sharing his opinion from a more knowledge point of view)

Also, Kip. A recent draft rumor from Russ Lande has LSU, OG, Trai Turner as a top-60 player with a chance to go late-first. Any thoughts on him?

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/trai-turner/

InadvertentSmell":1rblezd0 said:
I'd love to see tape on Bitonio. I couldn't find much on YouTube.

Here you go:
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/joel-bitonio/

Add Draftbreakdown to your favorites. They are constantly adding new tape to their website.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hey Kip, thanks for this thread.

Who are the OT's you like for the Seahawks realistically @ 32, 64, 132 ?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2xvvntam said:
Who are the OT's you like for the Seahawks realistically @ 32, 64, 132 ?

Billy Turner is the guy it would hurt to not get. But he's one of those players like Russell Wilson who you know could be very special but has undefined draft stock.

I'd be more than okay with taking a gamble on Cyrus Kouandjio's health at #132.

Bitonio isn't a bad prospect, but the more I watch him the more I think he's not a guy who's going to fix our interior run game problems.

Not sure how to grade Yankey after the combine, but pre-combine I would have been very happy to get him at #32.

Not sure how to feel about Morgan Moses. If Cable can light a fire under his ass, he could be an upper echelon tackle. I don't now if you can coach nasty though, it didn't work for Carp and others.

Xavier Su'a-Filo can book it, but otherwise he doesn't look like NFL material. I am surprised that he's considered a 1st round lock just because of his speed. Wouldn't be surprised if Seattle drafted him at #32, but IMO it would be a mistake.

I'm sure they'll draft players we've never heard of on OL, at least a few of them. Somebody above mentioned a guard from LSU, and recently Cable met with both tackles from Tennessee, guys who fit the Bowie/Bailey mold.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
ESPN's Todd McShay's latest mock draft has the Seahawks targeting UCLA offensive guard Xavier Su'a-Filo in round one at No. 32 overall. On Su'a-Filo, McShay says, "The Seahawks could use some help along their offensive line, and Su'a-Filo has a chance to be a good guard in the NFL. He has good size and quickness for the position and shows really good fight at the point of attack. I've given him a second-round grade, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks into the first round here based on the fit."

And in round two, McShay sees the Seahawks using another pick to bolster their offensive line, targeting Ohio State offensive tackle Jack Mewhort at No. 64 overall. On Mewhort, McShay writes, "Mewhort would be a reach here, but the Seahawks need a right tackle and there's a big drop-off at this position after the first few go off the board. I think he'll be an overachiever in the NFL."

Both Su'a-Filo at 32 and Mewhort at 64 seem like reaches. These mock drafts are bumming me out.