what if Seattle takes B. Coleman (32) and J. Landry(64)?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Seattle has needs in the WR department with the loss of Golden Tate and Sidney Rice. So Seattle needs some size and someone to do the dirty work in the passing game as it stands today. The list of prospects in this draft who could blow up in the NFL is amazing so why not double down in rounds 1 and 2. Russell Wilson just won a super bowl with a patch work O-line so why not give him some weapons on the outside that physically compliment each other the way the D-line works its combinations of players together. B. Coleman is worth the first round pick because of his size/speed combination and Seattle needs someone who can physically win one on one's/ jumpballs everytime Coleman provides the potential for that. Coleman could also develop into the safety valve for Russell Wilson that Sidney Rice was. Also the potential with Coleman and Harvin on the field together would be game changing for Seattle's passing game. if he flames out like Carpenter then so be it but it would be worth the pick. Jarvis Landry is a Seahawk type reciever after his improved 40 time. Landry could be their for Seattle at 64 becuase of the mass of talent in this draft. Landry could be a core special teams player while also making the tough catches over the middle and Landry is a willing and able run blocker. I veiw Jarvis Landry as a slower Golden Tate but Landry has superb hands where it took Tate a while to develop into the WR he is today. I have complete faith in the Harvin,Baldwin, and Kearse but Seattle needs to protect itself from injury problems and being in a position of weakness when contract talks come up for future stars. So I would not be mad if Seattle doubled down on WR in rounds 1 and 2 then address OT/DT/CB in the later rounds its going to be an exciting draft some good teams can get alot better after this one with the right moves.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I would be ticked if we spent a first round pick on Coleman and Landry doesn't excite me much but at pick 64 I wouldn't mind. I doubt that he is the type of player J.S. and Pete love though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Coleman at 32 would be a massive reach. He may be available in R4.

Landry at 64 would be ok I guess, I just think there are better options that will be there at 32

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I like the idea of drafting two receivers in a deep class, but not with the first two picks. I also can't say I agree with much of your evaluation. Wilson won a Superbowl against a weak Bronco's defense, with a healthy O-line, and a right tackle who just signed a 4yr/$18M deal with the Jets. During the regular season, the team won despite their offense performing poorly at times because of its patch work o-line and with Wilson getting smashed during the process.

Coleman actually struggles to win jump balls and I still have questions on if he'll ever get back to his 2012 form. His 2013 tape was not good. He looked slower and less athletic. If they want to take a chance on a tall, speedy receiver with hops at #32, I'd prefer they go for Martavis Bryant. He's 6'4, ran a 4.42, and has a 39' vertical leap and that athleticism shows on tape. With Coleman, I think he's closer to a 3rd round pick.

I like Jarvis Landry. His hands and instincts and route running are outstanding, but I don't think he's a good fit for Seattle. Physically, you could compare him Tate, but athletically they are nowhere close. He's a possession receiver where Tate is a YAC machine. Even Landry's improved 40 time is very slow by Seattle's standards and they're known to use a players 3-cone shuttle time which Landry had among the worst at receiver. With that speed, I just don't see how he could be a core special teamer, but I could be wrong with that.

He'll fit in great with a quarterback who can throw the ball with timing and an offense that utilizes quick passes. Seattle doesn't do that nor is Russell Wilson at that point where he's hitting the open receiver consistently at the break of his receivers routes which is Landry's strength. And If the initial play breaks down and Wilson has to scramble, I also have concerns Landry would succeed in getting open down field because of that lack of speed.

Anyways, my two cents.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Other way around I would be happy. Jarvis Landry at 32 and Brandon Coleman at 64. But I'd rather wait and see if Brandon falls because of injury and poor play this past year. 4th round for him.

imaho, Jarvis is worth a late first round pick, he has hands of glue. Similar to Golden Tate the way he catches the ball.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
No body coming out of the draft is a finished product and most of the top WR's did'nt have a QB as bad as Brandon Coleman had to work with. I bet if you put Mike Evans on that Rutgers team he would look bad. Coleman is a hard worker and has size that Seattle can use effectively. Russell Wilson WR's not getting open consistantly hurt his production just as much as that rookie RT and lousy LT replacement last year. Brandon Coleman gives Russell Wilson someone he can see over the top (6'6)and has more of a cushion to work with when throwing the ball high and outside the numbers. Coleman has the physical tools to be a TD machine with Russell Wilson for the next five years or you could take the 5th best OT that will have the same growing pains as last year and might not start. Cable can work miracles with O-lineman and a WR coach can't teach anyone to be 6'6.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":2qlwziuy said:
No body coming out of the draft is a finished product and most of the top WR's did'nt have a QB as bad as Brandon Coleman had to work with. I bet if you put Mike Evans on that Rutgers team he would look bad. Coleman is a hard worker and has size that Seattle can use effectively. Russell Wilson WR's not getting open consistantly hurt his production just as much as that rookie RT and lousy LT replacement last year. Brandon Coleman gives Russell Wilson someone he can see over the top (6'6)and has more of a cushion to work with when throwing the ball high and outside the numbers. Coleman has the physical tools to be a TD machine with Russell Wilson for the next five years or you could take the 5th best OT that will have the same growing pains as last year and might not start. Cable can work miracles with O-lineman and a WR coach can't teach anyone to be 6'6.

No one is saying Coleman is bad.. but why would you take a guy 32nd overall when he's likely going to be there later in the draft?

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2ofabtdp said:
Lynch Mob":2ofabtdp said:

No one is saying Coleman is bad.. but why would you take a guy 32nd overall when he's likely going to be there later in the draft?

yeah the other 32 teams probably just going to leave a 6'6 WR, with 34' inch arms, and 32' inch vert on the board for two or three rounds I would'nt bet on that. Don't think about what the player did in his college system, you have to think about what a player can do in your system. Seattle is not going to ask Coleman to be mega-tron and take the top off the defense every down. They want Coleman to be complimentary piece to Percy Harvin who is the true number one WR regardless of who we take in the draft. Percy Harvin speed will influence what the defense does and leave Coleman in one on one's to use his big body to post up his defender and make some easy chain moving or TD catches.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":3l9v5ms4 said:
Hasselbeck":3l9v5ms4 said:
Lynch Mob":3l9v5ms4 said:

yeah the other 32 teams probably just going to leave a 6'6 WR, with 34' inch arms, and 32' inch vert on the board for two or three rounds I would'nt bet on that. Don't think about what the player did in his college system, you have to think about what a player can do in your system. Seattle is not going to ask Coleman to be mega-tron and take the top off the defense every down. They want Coleman to be complimentary piece to Percy Harvin who is the true number one WR regardless of who we take in the draft. Percy Harvin speed will influence what the defense does and leave Coleman in one on one's to use his big body to post up his defender and make some easy chain moving or TD catches.

Well first of all.. one could argue they just addressed their desire for that tall complement to Harvin by bringing Rice back.

I would be shocked if Coleman comes off the board before Round 3. Taking him 2-3 rounds early for the sake of having him is bad drafting. End of story.

The reason why our FO is so great at drafting, is they identify outstanding talent and understand where exactly they're likely to be drafted (Wilson, Chancellor, Sherman, Maxwell, etc etc etc) .. when you start reaching on these guys, you don't get the earlier gems like a Bobby Wagner, Golden Tate, etc.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Brandon Coleman Catching the ball over his head is like ADB or Golden Tate leaping 9 to 10 inches in the air. His big body would make the game easier for and bring Russell Wilson's game to a new level Coleman is worth the FIRST round pick. Hopefully the video shows up below if it did'nt the video is Brandon Coleman pro-day star in the making.

[youtube]<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/zsL3e-HACTI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/zsL3e-HACTI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I personally don't think, going off of all the signs of what JS/PC look for in a WR via the draft, that Coleman is on their board.. or at least.. really high up on the board to the point where they'd even consider taking him 32nd or 64th overall.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
I'd prefer Donte Moncrief at 32 or trade back and Martavis Bryant at 64 if we were going the overkill route

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily mind that draft.

I would be intrigued to see what Pete and co. could do developing Coleman for 2014. Of the two, Coleman is the rarer commodity. Landry is easily lost in the glut of flanker tier 3 prospects. Evans and Benjamin are likely to be gone by 32. Leaving Bryant and Coleman as the other 2 remaining big receivers.

Seattle has a well established history of taking guys well ahead of their projections. I would say that if they strongly prefer one of the two remaining bigs -- then it makes sense to just simply pull the trigger.

I think ultimately, we'd like to move back. But I don't believe that will be an easy task. Moving back from 32 is going to mean getting pretty much fleeced on the return. It's the price for picking last. Not sure moving down 20 spots would even net an additional 4th round pick this year. This year is a buyer's year as far as trades go. There will be no shortage of teams looking to trade back and add picks. And little incentive for teams to move up for fear of missing out on a particular tier of talent.

I don't see Seattle having to take an OL prospect on days one or two. They don't need a day one starter there. They are kind of blessed that they don't need day one starters nearly anywhere. Acquiring a quality big WR is very difficult to achieve when you're picking in the last half of round 1. Whereas getting a quality OL prospect is not even uncommon to get even on day 2.

I expect the draft to be kind of like last year's draft. Underwhelming for the most part even throughout training camp. Another developmental project draft. I like this team's odds of turning draft day vinegar into wine.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I don't really think it would surprise me if Seattle does something crazy like that. Needless to say I would hope they would wait til 2nd round on Coleman.